skye

DLA without DX

I applied for DLA after reading a thread on this website where I was informed that DD did not need a DX to qualify. I am extremely happy to say that DD was awarded Higher Rate Care and Lower Rate Mobility! This is going to help our family so much and insure that my daughter can go back to taking riding lessons and we may even be able to afford to run a car which would help immensely! I would like to thank the people who post regularly on this site to help inform people like me about what help and support is available. For people who are just joining please take note that you do not need to have a diagnosis. If your child needs a lot of extra care then apply now. We are not expecting DX to come through until August so that is quite a few months where we wouldn't have been receiving this much needed help. Anyway, YAY!!! :thumbs:>:D<<'>

Thats great news, I daren't apply yet until we get dx, but I am happy for you.

Can I ask? Did it take long to come through?

Joanne

Congratulations!

:notworthy:

It should be a nice little windfall when it arrives as it will be backdated to the date when you first requested the form.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Just wanted to say well done and such brilliant news, many people say to wait for dx but for some that may take years yet they still had the needs, also I feel some authorities try to block dx so you cant get DLA, as that gives the childs rights the authority doesnt want you having a tight hold of, so good on you that you dot the DLA not just for the financial support but for ensuring your child gets other provisions in place.

Well done for taking the plunge as well with all those forms, but now hopefully that will be over for a while.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

As others here will hopefully tell you also but incase no one does, dont forget you can apply for carers allowance too so see if you meet the criteria for that too, DLA and carers dont consult each other so if you are entitled the DLA wont tell you, for 6 months J recieved dla before I was told I could apply for carers allowance.

JsMum

Hi - just a note in addition - you can look into applying for Carers allowance now too - but you do need to meet certain criteria - you should receive information with the confirmation letter received from the DLA - but you can do it online - it is a lot quicker.

vicbee

Thanks so much everyone. I am going to read up on the carers allowance and see if we are entitled. Also for Joanne, it only took about 9 weeks for the claim to get processed! I can't believe it, i was expecting close to a year. I have to say that my daughter is pretty high up on the spectrum. It is a huge shame that the diagnosis wasn't started any sooner, due to some family support workers who said they wouldn't touch her until she was five (WRONG!). They(DLA) did contact the SENCO and various other people that work with us. I am super pleased and thanks to everyone on here who helped make it happen and who share in the joy with me. Happy Days!

Swimming lessons signed up for and looking for a new bed to help with night terrors and accidental banging her head on the metal bedframe she has now also with a trundle for me!! My back is done in, I have slept on the floor on a worn out futon for 4 out of 6 nights this week. I can't wait to be comfortable. I might go and post for some advice about beds a bit later. Cheers everyone. Have a great weekend. We have a birthday party today(GASP) and a SEN sports fun day on Sunday(YAY!!) :thumbs::notworthy: