pearl

I have an awful problem .....

So if you have a sossidge samwidge do you have HP?

No, it has to be fried onions and chutney, but it has to be a particular kind of chutney. :) What does that make me? :P

I love HP with chips though. :)

K x

No, it has to be fried onions and chutney, but it has to be a particular kind of chutney. :) What does that make me? :P

Stylishly co-ordinated when it comes to ear-rings, necklaces and bracelets! :thumbs:

Boho :dance:

I have spent the past few days trying to persuade my uncle's French girlfriend that brown sauce, salt and vinegar crisps and Marmite are nice, but I didn't succeed. Apparently the French dip their chips in mustard!

Probably french mustard. Which is like the scrapings from a 2 week old baby's nappy. the scandinavians dip their chips in mayo - much nicer. Think tartare sauce without the goikin. Better yet, think mayo with goikin, and go with tartare sauce :)

Tell your uncle to hide his mopney under the soap - he'll be fine :);)

BD :D

I was presented with a Crotchity Mum for my Mother's Day brunch (a Croque Maman!)...yum flippin' yum! :D

A once-a-year treat, though, as it must have a gazillion calories, fried in butter, etc :ph34r::shame:

Edited by bid

Stylishly co-ordinated when it comes to ear-rings, necklaces and bracelets! :thumbs:

Thankyou. :) You'd love the ones I have on right now.

K x

Boil em mash em stick em in a stew or ....

pssst pearl :unsure:

just between you and me

Fluffy potatoes are no measure of womanhood. Once I felt as you did, sister. I too tried and failed to live up to the standards of mashed potato perfection, as embodied in my mother in law. After years of the grey, lumpy despair of knowing that my mash was fit only to plug the cracks in my wall, I saw the light. I embraced the truth, staring at me. Right there in the aisle of M&S. Ready made mash. I was finally emancipated from the tyranny of the spud. My mash now requires no greater expertise than peeling back the film of a plastic container. HALLELUJAH!!! :thumbs:

I urge you, sister, to throw away that potato mashing thing, go on, you can do it! Do it sister!! You can be free from the mash that binds you. Get thee to the ready meal aisle of your supermarket and there repent. Repent and be saved!!!

I might just find time to stuff a mushroom, but life's definitely too short to mash a spud. :P:whistle:

K x

Perfect mashed spuds - everytime......

Use only Pontiac or Desiree /potatoes with red or pink skin. Four medium potatoes. or one per person.

Peel cut in half only

Enough water to cover spuds

Cook on high for 10 minutes, turn to high medium at lid always secure.

When you can push a fork in without restriction, remove from heat and drain.

Keep the lid on, remove to stove (turned off) where it is warm.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

Three tablespoons of Olive Oil margarine

1/4 cup of whole milk.

Add all of the above quickly and mash all at once, once mashed, stir with masher to whip it fluffy, if too dry add just a dash more milk and marg.

A nice variation is a clove of crushed garlic.

We have a pro in this household. :robbie::thumbs:

Secret is not overboiling, and don't at salt until mash time.

Skim milk gives you slush.

You're gonna hate me even more than you hate her when I let you into my secret...

I actually don't like mash. :sick::crying: I only make it to please other people. :rolleyes:

Sorry but it's baby food, makes me gag and the only way I can tolerate it is if it has crunchy bits of veg in it (like M&S do) or if it's on top of something I can actually chew, like fish pie.

If God had wanted us to eat mash we would have been born with no teeth. :whistle::whistle:

Sorry, and I hope I haven't caused offence to all you expert mash makers out there. If it makes you happy and fulfilled and brings pleasure to others, go on crushin' them spuds. :)

JUST DON'T HAVE ME ROUND FOR DINNER!!

K x

Is it safe to say, if I stand way over here, she can't lecture me. Kathryn, after carefully reading your stories about mashed potato :jester: I think I would be gagging if I ate your mashed potatoes :thumbs::robbie:>:D<<'>

You need to try my mum's recipe, I think you will realise, all these years you have been using the wrong potatoes and did they not tell you you are supposed to wash the brown dirt off as you peel the potatoes instead of put it straight in the water to boil. :robbie::robbie::robbie: runs to hide. :)

Our mash is exquisite, please, try. Call it mash Oz style.

Mia

Good luck Pearl - let us know the outcome. :D

You need to try my mum's recipe, I think you will realise, all these years you have been using the wrong potatoes and did they not tell you you are supposed to wash the brown dirt off as you peel the potatoes instead of put it straight in the water to boil. :robbie::robbie::robbie: runs to hide. :)

But if you take the brown bits out it wouldn't be crunchy would it? :D

I'm sure your Oz taters are lovely - I'll take your word for it. But I'll never cook mash again - no need. :whistle::whistle:

K x

Well I assimilated all your thoughts & ideas, & got a better result last night. Better .... not perfect.

Boiled spuds

drained them in a colander

put them back in pan with lid on

added knob of butter

mashed them

added splash of milk

mashed again.

Definitely not sloppy, but still a few lumps though - I've no upper body strength. Well, no body strength at all, really.

Thanks people >:D<<'>