Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Ewwwwwww... Fleabag, fleabag, ya dorty ol' fleabag...

Ben came home from skool on friday with a nestful of lodgers atop his luvvly head!

Anyhoo - did the treatment last night, and went to replace my emegency supply from the shop today when i saw something called the 'Nitty Gritty' nit-free comb, which was a bit expensive but promises to be the absolute dogs knees and bees booswums for stressfree delicing of lousey littluns...

Anyone used one, and what's the process for getting rid of anything you catch between passes (it's a chemical free thingummydoodaa). Do you just swish it in a bowl of hot water?

Please remember not to say anything specific to the prodiuct on forum, but some general tips would be useful. if you do have anything specific, good or bad, drop me a PM.

Tanks a mill

BD :D

Well I just rinse 'em off the comb and away down the sink normally, but how does this new fangled all singing all dancing nit comb differ from the bog standard version? :unsure:

Conditioner helps to make the comb pass through the hair easily - and stops the pesky things from getting a grip, apparently.

Good luck!

K x

Oh No, I hate the blumin things, Im itching now, look, why is it we itch soon as its discussed, really dont like them,

Ive got one, you just run it throw the hair, with the stuff and section by section of hair, rinsing the comb on a comb throw, its time consuming and your lad might not comply, but its worth it in the end, I always finish off with conditioner in the hair too as the Ns cant grip, you will have to repeat the combing a few times this week.

Horrible job and sadly not enough parents do it, I personally feel if a child has them they shouldnt access school until their rentfree friends have vacated their premisis.

JsMUMXXX

Edited by JsMum

I agree with JSMum. lice carriers should not be allowed at school. No sooner that I have treated my daughter (very long thick hair) that they are back again! And I got it three of four times as well. As for the comb, I've got one and I put it in the washing machine afterwards because I sort of figure out that hot temperature will make it super clean! The only way for it to work is to be thorough. Wet hair, put loads of conditionner and plonk your child in front of a film they enjoy and promise a treat for good behaviour because it takes time! Part hair using plastic crocodile clips and comb through small strands of hair making sure you start from the scalp and gradually work you way through. They like behind ears and nape. You need to do it every night until there is none left as if you leave one, yes ONE it is enough for head to be covered again within two days. I m afraid the past two times I have used the chemical solution because I just could not face it all especially using the comb on myself was really difficult. I have instructed my daughter to absolutely keep her hair attached at all time at school. So far, touch wood since october we have not had any.

Good luck for your fight against the evil lice! :ninja:

Well I just rinse 'em off the comb and away down the sink normally, but how does this new fangled all singing all dancing nit comb differ from the bog standard version? :unsure:

K x

It's groovy, baby! (yeah, psychedelic, etc etc etc)

The big thing about the 'Nitty gritty' is it has extra long teeth and a spiral groove running up each one... that way, when you pull it through it effectively combs 'up' the hair too, and the blighters can't slip through the net as easily either...

I found a website (won't post a link, 'cos it's DEFINITELY a commecrcial website), but the testimonials (do you want to see my testimonials, fnar fnar, yak yak) are pretty impressive (huffa huffa) and the no-quibble money back guarantee is fairly convincing too :)

Years ago i did try one of those 'zapper' combs (special fried lice!) that 'cute the bugs at the same time but B hated it - which really said it all 'cos he loves having his hair cut or fiddled/whatever normally... (that said, at the mo he's really into wearing it long... it's even a bit long for MY liking and he's getting a few comments from teechurs at skool, but in the way of all healthy 11 year olds this is just making him more determined to grow it even longer! :lol: I can remember being told off for chewing mine in class when I was 11 so it's the same old same old! I told him last week he looked like a hippy - he said 'well hippies are really cool and just want everyone to be happy'... No answer to that, is there?).

A couple of things i learnt from the site :

whatever the stories about fleas - head lice don't 'jump', so i'm less worried about the odd one that might get away, and

they don't live long if they aint got a hooman host, so all that about them lying in wait in the carpets is a fallacy too. :)

Anyhoo:

Bid: I do not have nits - I've checked. So before you go calling me a flea bag, flea bag, dorty ol' fleabag you'd better go and check your mangy brood. :lol:

J's mum - I dunno, but it does make you itch as soon as it's mentioned just like watching someone yawn makes you yawn too... weird, ennit!

I too get annoyed with other less conscientious parents. If Ben cops for them i'll spot it within a day or so and sort it... we then have weeks and weeks and weeks when he gets re-infested by all the grotty little 'erbs at school whose parents don't bother :lol::lol: that said, I'd rather be dealing with headlice than the fillosoffical conundrum B presented me with last night: 'Why did god make headlice if all they do is drink our blood and make us itch?' The only explanation I could come up with that avoided all theological assumptions was: well if there is a god he probably just made the stuff that life organises itself from and left the details up to nature to sort out... :lol:

L&P

PS: Just seem frogslegs post as i posted, and i love the fact that you told your daughter to 'keep her hair attached at all times' :lol: You really mustn't let them leave it lying around unattended, must you ;)... No need to explain, i did get what you meant. Just the way you said it made oi larf, so thank you :)

Edited by baddad

Glad I made you laugh!!!! :dance::dance:

It's groovy, baby! (yeah, psychedelic, etc etc etc)

The big thing about the 'Nitty gritty' is it has extra long teeth and a spiral groove running up each one... that way, when you pull it through it effectively combs 'up' the hair too, and the blighters can't slip through the net as easily either...

I found a website (won't post a link, 'cos it's DEFINITELY a commecrcial website), but the testimonials (do you want to see my testimonials, fnar fnar, yak yak) are pretty impressive (huffa huffa) and the no-quibble money back guarantee is fairly convincing too :)

Years ago i did try one of those 'zapper' combs (special fried lice!) that 'cute the bugs at the same time but B hated it - which really said it all 'cos he loves having his hair cut or fiddled/whatever normally... (that said, at the mo he's really into wearing it long... it's even a bit long for MY liking and he's getting a few comments from teechurs at skool, but in the way of all healthy 11 year olds this is just making him more determined to grow it even longer! :lol: I can remember being told off for chewing mine in class when I was 11 so it's the same old same old! I told him last week he looked like a hippy - he said 'well hippies are really cool and just want everyone to be happy'... No answer to that, is there?).

A couple of things i learnt from the site :

whatever the stories about fleas - head lice don't 'jump', so i'm less worried about the odd one that might get away, and

they don't live long if they aint got a hooman host, so all that about them lying in wait in the carpets is a fallacy too. :)

Anyhoo:

Bid: I do not have nits - I've checked. So before you go calling me a flea bag, flea bag, dorty ol' fleabag you'd better go and check your mangy brood. :lol:

J's mum - I dunno, but it does make you itch as soon as it's mentioned just like watching someone yawn makes you yawn too... weird, ennit!

I too get annoyed with other less conscientious parents. If Ben cops for them i'll spot it within a day or so and sort it... we then have weeks and weeks and weeks when he gets re-infested by all the grotty little 'erbs at school whose parents don't bother :lol::lol: that said, I'd rather be dealing with headlice than the fillosoffical conundrum B presented me with last night: 'Why did god make headlice if all they do is drink our blood and make us itch?' The only explanation I could come up with that avoided all theological assumptions was: well if there is a god he probably just made the stuff that life organises itself from and left the details up to nature to sort out... :lol:

L&P

PS: Just seem frogslegs post as i posted, and i love the fact that you told your daughter to 'keep her hair attached at all times' :lol: You really mustn't let them leave it lying around unattended, must you ;)... No need to explain, i did get what you meant. Just the way you said it made oi larf, so thank you :)

The nitty gritty is fantastic we have had many combs but it is the best my dd was always infected with them after school we used the nitty gritty and her hair would be clear each morning eventually the problem was solved when we switched schools.

You can get a nitty gritty comb on prescription have a look on their website.

Just put loads of value conditioner in the hair and comb through.

I have very long thick curls and a normal comb won't go through my hair but the nitty gritty does.

I always just use a standard fine toothed comb.

I hate to be the one to tell you (No one in particular) but if your child has more than one lice then they would have been infected of at lest a week as they will be the second generation.

The life cycle of a head lice goes something like this. The eggs are laid they hatch after 7 to 10 days, they become adults able to reproduce after 7 to 10 days, it is only at this stage that they will venture out and look for a new head to colonise.

What you will have is one pregnant female lice that makes its way onto you. It lays its eggs and most probably dies shortly afterwords. A week later their egg hatch and it is at this stage that you may start to itch. this is the irritating caused by them biting and sucking you blood, not by them walking on your head.

If you find more that about 5-10 then and of different sizes you are on to third generation and you most probably have had them for 3 or 4 weeks.

In the past I have looked after children who I have combed out 2-3 hundred lice in one go.

Edited by chris54

Headlice are one of the hazzards of my job as a TA. The little sods make a beeline for me (the lice, not the children) and I have to get rid of the pesky things at least every half term.

I use a plastic lice comb and loads of cheap hair conditioner. I smother my head in the conditioner (I work on the assumption that it suffocates the lice) and then comb through. I give my hair a quick comb through everyday to kill off any emerging lice and that seems to do the trick.

If you want to kill em off without resorting to chemical treatments, then use olive oil instead of conditioner. Olive oil actually covers over the 'breathing holes' on a live louse, and will smother it. But you must combine this with the use of a nit comb, as you can't smother live eggs. I've heard marvellous things about the spiral-toothed nit comb too, and will make it a priority to go out and buy one.......

Oh, just remembered, you should be safe Baddad. Headlice very rarely attach themselves to men, they dont like the testosterone.

I bought one of those combs years ago when they were only available on the internet. They DO trap everything but are very hard to clear. Keep a bowl of hot water by to rinse, and use something pointy (like another comb etc) to shift any stubborn little blighters out of the prongs! You still need plenty of conditioner on to use it, and something with tea tree oil in (which apparently lice don't like) is good to use as shampoo during the treatment time (which is about 2 weeks)... oh and don't forget baddad... if Ben has them, there's a good chance you'll have them too :D

Happy nit picking!

Floz XX

ohhhh! i just googled it and have realised that... we had that without even knowing it!

yeah, its fantastic (there i was thinking it was just a normal comb, albeit better than those horrid plastic ones that scrape your head to bits).

the foster kids *always* come with little visitors - more a hazard of being primary school aged than in foster care i suspect, so we're experts at ditching them (ever seen a kids hair so infested the strands are glued together with eggs? i have :huh: )

Floz, this comment:

oh and don't forget baddad... if Ben has them, there's a good chance you'll have them too :D

coming after lorry's comment:

Oh, just remembered, you should be safe Baddad. Headlice very rarely attach themselves to men, they dont like the testosterone.

sounds as though you are casting aspersions on Baddad's virility. :whistle::lol:

K x

Floz, this comment:

coming after lorry's comment:

sounds as though you are casting aspersions on Baddad's virility. :whistle::lol:

K x

:lol: I couldn't possibly comment kathryn!!!! :lol:

Flo' :D

Aspirations on my virility indeed! she wouldn't be the first... :whistle:

What? Aspersions?

...... (consults dictionary)......

:o:o:shame::shame:

well i never did...

No, I did... LOTS... LOADS AND LOADS... NO I STILL DO... LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS... and fleas don't bite me because my skins too tough for their little teeth and the molten steel running through my Herculean veins is poison to them...

Update - although she is now sorted i think the cat has bought in some friends too, and they DO live on in carpets and stuff :wallbash::wallbash:

So a warning to all aminal owners out there. Spring is here, and a young flea's fancy turns to luuuuuuuurve....

Luuuuuuuuuurve and Peace

BD :D (AKA The testosterone kid)

:D

Update - although she is now sorted i think the cat has bought in some friends too, and they DO live on in carpets and stuff :wallbash::wallbash:

So now you've got nits and fleas! :o:shame:

I dunno...some people just let themselves go :devil:

Boho (vermin-free :D )