bid

Aaarrgghh cat wee!!

Before our little cat was spayed, she wee'd on the carpet just inside the front door!

I have tried everything: carpet cleaner, carpet deodouriser, floral disinfectant, Mr Muscle...

But it still smells :crying:

Does anyone have any cunning tricks for getting rid of the smell of cat wee? :pray:

Boho :crying:

I can remember a DIY program on the telly were they had this problem with a new house and ended up replacing all the floor boards.

No! :crying:

My original plan was to take up the carpet in the hall and lay laminate instead (still sitting in the cupboard under the stairs :rolleyes: ) so I guess this is just the incentive I need to actually get on and do! :lol:

Bl**dy cats...grump...grumble...moan ;)

Boho :dance:

Many thanks for all the tips and links...will probably try one more time before I resort to the laminate as I'm Queen of Prevarication :D

Edited by bid

Kim and Aggie (of How Clean is Your House fame) recommend Bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on the offending area, to get rid of cat smells. They dont specifically say if this includes cat tiddles. They do, however, say that dog wee is impossible to get rid of the smell :sick: and to change the carpet. They also say not to use any cleaning product with ammonia as Tiddles will mistake the smell for his/her own and tiddle and tiddle again.

I found one of my cats today laying on my son's bed on her back, all four legs in the air stretched out. Not happy mummy :angry: Son thought it was most funny. :clap:

Happy laminating. :thumbs:

2 nights ago my elderly cat weed on the bedroom carpet, she has never done this before, I have tried, bicarb, vinegar, loads of warm water and washing up liquid etc, etc etc. it is truly awful, I couldnt even sleep in there last night! the smell in the house is overpowering, and its on the market and we have a viewing at the weekend. HELP PLEASE. Enid

I have a problem with this too - we took on a cat who was rejected by her previous owners because she was weeing in the house. We thought she had stopped. I think she's only done it a couple of times on the stairs but it stinks - you catch a whiff every time you go up the stairs. Carpet freshener only masks it for a while.

Help!!! In laws coming on Sunday.

K x

Me too bid - and if DH finds out he'll be furious so I'm desperately hoping he won't notice the smell. :unsure:

K x

Me too bid - and if DH finds out he'll be furious so I'm desperately hoping he won't notice the smell. :unsure:

K x

If he's anything like my DH he won't notice! :o

On Christmas Eve, just before my mum was due to arrive, I was convinced I could smell something suspicious but DH kept saying he couldn't smell anything...only to discover our old cat had disgraced herself in the room my mum was due to have!! :shame:

Boho :lol:

You can bet his mum will notice on Sunday though. I'm going to put those plug in fresheners all over the house and ply her with wine. :lol:

K x

I got through Christmas by using this sort of foam deodouriser stuff that you spray on the carpet and it just disappears. It doesn't last forever, but it's very good for a short term emergency!

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

I'll do some polishing, buy some lillies, cook curry or something really garlicky, and brew up lots and lots of coffee all afternoon. That might do it. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind so much if she wasn't so aggressive - she bites and attacks me and isn't very cuddly. (The cat, not the mother in law :blink::D ).

K x

wouldn't mind so much if she wasn't so aggressive - she bites and attacks me and isn't very cuddly
......You shouldn't ply her with so much wine then what do you expect from in laws filled with wine,curry and freshly brewed coffee. :o:lol::lol:

I don't know where you can buy it. You could try a pet shop or vet. Otherwise, you might need to mail order it over the internet.

We tried surgical spirit sprayed onto the area. It's supposed to stop them going there again (yeah, they go somewhere else instead :wacko: ). We also tried bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on then vacuumed off after a few hours. Then we tried replacing the carpet and giving the cats away. That did the trick!!! :dance:

(sorry can't be of more help :D )

Think I have done it, were away for a few days and before I went I scrubbed it again with white wine vinegar and then tipped a whole pot of bicarb on and rubbed it in! on return I could hardly smell it, and then I hoovered it up and then washed area again, cant smell a thing now, just as well as have another house viewing in the morning, think the smell put last lot off! Enid

Have just done the same, Enid, as people coming for Sunday lunch and ran out of time this holiday to replace carpet in the hall!

Also soaking hem of (newly dry-cleaned :wallbash::crying: ) door curtain on that side...

Boho :wacko:

I'll try the vinegar and bicarb tip - thanks guys.

When the inlaws came I placed a gel air freshener discreetly on the corner of the stairs where our cat has weed. It seemed to work. :rolleyes:

K x

Gah!! It won't dry now!! So now I have damp, bicarby-vinegary carpet :crying:

But I can report that the white vinegar has got rid of the smell from the curtain :thumbs:

(But not the faint stain...)

Boho :wacko:

Edited by bid

Whoops! It does take a long time to dry, in my post I said that we did it before we went away, that was four days, it was still slightly damp when we got back, I hoovered up as much as I could, then washed it again and blotted it with loads of kitchen roll, I was still left with bi carb spots on the carpet, when dry, so I brushed these off with a stiff brush. good luck, :thumbs: Enid

Just to say I tried the vinegar and bicarb tip and it really works! The smell has gone from the house now.

Thanks so much, Enid. :)

K x

:oops: I misread the heading--thought it said "Aaarrgghh can't wee!!" :lol: Not that that would be very funny in practice...