Sign in to follow this  
docfraser

hi there i have just joined i havew two boys one 7 and the other 6 my older son has been diagnosed with dyspraxia, adhd,and possably austium he just started taking equaum xl 20mg it was working well up till christmas now they are putting him on 30mg the only worry i have is that his blood pressure is slighly up from 90/100 i think to 104 over 110 so iam thinking about taking him off the meds when his on his school holidays.

Hey Doc, nice to meet you! My eldest (AS, ADHD) is on the same meds but at 15mg (Equasym, right?) Bear in mind that you can alternate between one ADHD medication and another to try and dampen any tolerance the body develops, as well as having short breaks from the meds too. (Though we tend not to give our lad his meds at the weekend, for similar reasons as yourself!)

Can your lads' consultant/psych/doc not try increasing the meds by 5mg? 10mg is a pretty big jump and I think I would share your concerns. It also gives you less scope for accommodating increases in your sons meds as he grows-that is, if your son is like mine and the assumption is that he's going to be on them for a while?

Might also be worth investigating whether a slow-release type medication could be tried as well, these sometimes suit better?

(I hope I'm not coming across as being an insufferable know it all, but it's just a few thoughts that occurred to me because of our own experiences....)

Hope you find as much support and good company here as I have!

Esther x

Edited by pookie170