NickyB

Why is it soooo hard?

Hello

My DS (6) has high-functioning autism, and is currently displaying some behaviour problems, mainly at school.

I have spoken to the consultant who originally diagnosed him in June 2007, and asked for a review, which was originally scheduled for 6 months later :o She tells me that they no longer do review assessments (nice of them to tell me before :angry:) Apparently there is a drop in clinic locally, but it's during my working hours :wallbash: I would take time off work, as DS is much more important, but I would lose a day's pay, which is not what we need right now :tearful:

I need to get some help and advice about behaviour, and maybe a school-based assessment. The school are trying to get some help as well, but are coming up against brick walls, too. Any ideas ???

Thanks, guys

Nicky x

how bout a arranging a meeting to all review how you could manage his behaviour at home and at school as that what you need all working together makes life easier!? maybe also NAS? and looking into a official statementing process get more support in place? good luck in this! hope this helps! take care XKLX

Hi NickyB -

have you phoned the Kent Autistic Trust? You could go along to one of their eveing meetings (Monday's I think) and pick brains there, and you could probably arrange a home visit to discuss any specific concerns. I could hazard a guess at the 'drop in clinic', and though i haven't used it myself i know from flyers etc that the local professionals are usually around for then so that would be a good idea if you can swap shifts or something. If not, maybe think about biting the bullet and taking unpaid time off, but 'spend' some of littlun's DLA on making up the earnings loss... i know it always seems unfair using their money to effectively buy your own time, but it is a legitimate need for him that you get the support/advice you need...

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

I'm sure you are allowed time off for something like this without losing pay if you have a child with special needs?

Anyone know the details?

Bid :)

ETA: just checked, and sorry, while you are entitled to the time off it is without pay :(

Edited by bid

how bout a arranging a meeting to all review how you could manage his behaviour at home and at school as that what you need all working together makes life easier!? maybe also NAS? and looking into a official statementing process get more support in place? good luck in this! hope this helps! take care XKLX

Thanks, smiley

We have a meeting with his teacher next Tuesday, so I will be checking that we are all using the same strategies. The SENCO is applying for a stat. assessment, although I found out from her today that she's not even finished filling out the form yet, and she hasn't got all the evidence she needs (it was a month ago that she said she'd do it!!!). I told her i want it done by Easter - I think she got the message :whistle: .

Thanks again >:D<<'>

Hi NickyB -

have you phoned the Kent Autistic Trust? You could go along to one of their eveing meetings (Monday's I think) and pick brains there, and you could probably arrange a home visit to discuss any specific concerns. I could hazard a guess at the 'drop in clinic', and though i haven't used it myself i know from flyers etc that the local professionals are usually around for then so that would be a good idea if you can swap shifts or something. If not, maybe think about biting the bullet and taking unpaid time off, but 'spend' some of littlun's DLA on making up the earnings loss... i know it always seems unfair using their money to effectively buy your own time, but it is a legitimate need for him that you get the support/advice you need...

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Thanks BD. Yes, I may have to take a day off to go to the drop-in. Apparently, I've just missed it as it's on Thursdays (typical!!) but maybe I can sort it out for next week. I've also been in touch with the Kent Autistic Trust, and they've offered a visit or help over the 'phone, so that's great :thumbs:

Thanks again :thumbs:

I'm having the same with my son, HFA too, aged 4 (bit teacher yesterday). I'm in West Sussex and my sons school have called in the Inclusion Support Team who come in to school and offer advice to teachers, maybe you have the same in your area?

Hope this helps.

I'm having the same with my son, HFA too, aged 4 (bit teacher yesterday). I'm in West Sussex and my sons school have called in the Inclusion Support Team who come in to school and offer advice to teachers, maybe you have the same in your area?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that - I believe the SENCO has already spoken to the inclusion team, so I'll have to chase that up.

As far as the drop-in is concerned, I work in the school kitchen (although I'm employed by a catering company). The head teacher has said she's happy to be a dinner lady for a day so I can attend the drop-in. I am very lucky that the school are so understanding an willing to help :thumbs:

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and support - I'm feeling a lot less frustrated now :)

Edited to add that, ironically, DS has had a fab day at school - really happy and joining in with everything :D

Edited by NickyB

Just a quick update - the lady from the Kent Autistic Trust is visiting school in early May, and will have a chat with his teacher, myself and DH, too. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice :thumbs:

the whole 'inclusion' SEN area of school systems are slowed down by paperwork and sometimes professionals themselves( thought not all)! i hope you do get help and support you so desperately need and want!

the whole 'inclusion' SEN area of school systems are slowed down by paperwork and sometimes professionals themselves( thought not all)! i hope you do get help and support you so desperately need and want!