Sign in to follow this  
Sallya

LEA wont assess him

....down to the new funding system....the resources will be available to the school.....the LEA man is going to write to the middle school to make sure that they keep the 10 hours help he is getting now..... asking the LEA EP to see D.....previously decided not to.....

Buger, thats all I can say.

Hi Sallyanne,

This is a setback, but don't give up hope, keep fighting. Sometimes you have to keep on and on until they realise you're serious and you're not going to go away.

K

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Don,t give up Sally, getting the ED physch to do an assessment (if they agree) definitely might move things in the right direction fo you.Good luck and all the best.

Sally,

This new funding system is absolute c**p!! We're also having problems, refusal to assess, but L doesn't get any 1:1 help from the school and we're left in the situation of the school saying she doesn't need the help (so they don't have to pay from their budget), even though the professional advice says she does. Hopefully we'll get there in the end but it shouldn't have to be such a fight. If the government do away with statements everything is left to the "goodwill" of the school and we end up without being able to chose the most suitable school for our children. The whole system sucks!! :angry::angry::angry:

Keep fighting, be such a pain in the LEA and school backsides that hopefully in the end they'll give you a statement just so you'll leave them alone.

Lisa

the LEA man is going to write to the middle school to make sure that they keep the 10 hours help he is getting now..... asking the LEA EP to see D .....previously decided not to.....

Sallya,

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused by your post - the title of this thread suggests that your son is not going to be assessed, but then you say that the LEA officer is going to ask the EP to see your son.

If your LEA has decided not to assess your son, then why has one of its officers decided to involve an EP?

Helen,

the new funding is banded 1-10. D is a 5. Statements are being reserved for children who are severely autistic, Downs Syndrome, CP.. children who go to special school. Bands 8-10. Schools in my county are being given extra money for SEN , without having to apply for statements.. the funding has gone to the school, and they will decide what level of help he gets.

The LEA EP wouldnt see D before, which is why I went for an Independant EP. The Lea have seen the report, and have decided that he does have needs, but the school will have the funds to support him.

The LEA official is going to involve the LEA EP, to do this and is also going to say to the say without the help, Ds behaviour will deteriorate, and he will need at least the level of help he is getting now. But there will be nothing in writing as there would a statement, so no safe guard for children in the lower bands. Like Lisa says, its down to the goodwill of the school. The LEA official is going to oversee everything , and make sure that the middle school give D the support he needs. The head is arranging a meeting with the middle school next week to sort everything out. It all sounds good, but it means trusting the LEA to do what they say they are going to do. Hope I make a bit more sense now.

Edited by Sallya

We are in a simular situation.

Toni's infants school are currently giving her 3 hours 1-1, even though she does not have a statement

Toni goes to the juniors in september and we have been turned down for a statement. We are being told that all children on school action plus will be entitled to 5 hours a week 1-1 as this money will be in the schools budgets. The LEA are saying this should be enough as Toni is learning.

They have not taken into account her social issues and language issues and the effect going to the juniors will have on her.

I know i am fighting a losing battle at the moment so i am waiting until september and reserving my energy for when Toni goes to her new school and can't handle the change.

I am hoping the juniors have more understanding off ASD and will fight our corner to get her the help she needs and deserves. (knowing my luck it will be the other way around and the juniors will start saying theres is nothing wrong and take her off school action plus)

Bev xxx

Found a document on the DFeS website, called "Removing Barriers to Achievement pdf" in the SEN section. Its worth a look.

Edited by Sallya

This is terrible. We saw the LEA Ed Psych 3 times and he still didn't put my son forward for a statement. Why do we have to go through the process of private assessments, not everyone can afford it.

The LEA still refused 3 times to statement him until i had O/T and Psychiatric reports as well.

Keep fighting and don't give up, you will get there in the end. :thumbs::thumbs:

I think I have to go ahead with the appeal, just so I know that I have done every thing I can, but I dont think its going to be a good outcome.

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement.

xxx