Sign in to follow this  
joanne1

Multi agency meeting

Ds dx with asd a couple of weeks ago. He is 13 and since dx has received some help from school, about 7 hours a week in learning support, which is going to continue as far as i am aware. They are applying for a statement. The HT rang me today and said she is going to set up a multi agency meeting. I think that is what it is called.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect, and what they are for? And do I attend the meeting?

Any info appreciated. Thanx

Joanne

Hi.I think multi-agency meetings have come about as part of the ''Every Child Matters '' agena.Usually all of the professionals who are involved or who might become involved are invited to come along.All of those present review what they consider a child's needs to be and hopefully reach an agreement regarding how support can best be provided.

I think you should be involved.Karen.

Hi Joanne

I work in CAMHS and we have multiagency meetings with other professionals when there are several people working in different ways with a child, and we think the child could do with everyone around them knowing what's going on and working together.

There might be someone from school, someone from a mental health team, and any family support or social worker that might be involved. From your point of view, you'd meet everyone working with your child if you haven't already, and it would give you a chance to let them know how things are for you at home.

Not saying these meetings always work like a dream - depends what's happening elsewhere. In my experience they tend to be difficult if things with the child are difficult and feelings are running high, and calm if everything's going OK.

Hope yours goes well

all the best,

Sarah

Hi Joanne,

I had one of these a couple of weeks ago - everyone (well nearly everyone) involved with my daughter attended -i.e. CAHMS (CPN & Consultant), OT, Autism Support plus Head of Year, Deputy Head-teacher etc - and then my daughter could have attended (but chose not to) plus myself/hubbie. It's to try and get everyone to work together and bounce idea's of support etc between everyone and put a plan of action in place - in our case for our daughters exam timetable and leaving school.

Take care,

Jb

I have attended these meetings both as a parent and a professional (Childminder).

Depending what the meeting is called for, every one gives their input and a consensus conclusion is sort.

As has been said the tone will very much depend on what issues are being discussed and if there is any conflict of views.

I would say to go in open minded and just see what everyone has to say.

Some one should be taking notes and you will/should get a copy.

I had one of these recently....here it was called a CDT meeting....the head was there, pead, ed psych...camhs didnt bother to show up even tho the office is next door grgh....it was to discuss how best to help ds n the best way forward.

Thanx guys for the info. I was under the impression that it is to see what is the best way to help him. Which is ok if it gets everyone saying what they they think is best for him. We might get somewhere if cards are on the table. At the minute camhs aren't very impressed with school and the way they have been with ds. So I hope they turn up, the lady at camhs has been really good with us, and sticks up for ds, for want of a better word. So it would be good if they make it to the meeting. We will have to see how it goes.

Joanne

Thanx guys for the info. I was under the impression that it is to see what is the best way to help him. Which is ok if it gets everyone saying what they they think is best for him. We might get somewhere if cards are on the table. At the minute camhs aren't very impressed with school and the way they have been with ds. So I hope they turn up, the lady at camhs has been really good with us, and sticks up for ds, for want of a better word. So it would be good if they make it to the meeting. We will have to see how it goes.

Joanne

Hi again.I may be old and cynical but think it might be worth checking that CAMHS have been invited if they are supportive.It has been known for a school to manage to call a multi-agency meeting and then miss informing significant people. :) Karen.

Hi again.I may be old and cynical but think it might be worth checking that CAMHS have been invited if they are supportive.It has been known for a school to manage to call a multi-agency meeting and then miss informing significant people. :) Karen.

I would go along with that, multi-agency doesn't necessarily mean every agency.

Take notes! Or get someone to take notes for you.

Make sure that when the minutes are distributed they cover all that was said and don't think this meeting s being done out of the goodness of their hearts, they are just ticking boxes to show that they are doing all they can. If one of them says something out of order then repeat it back to them and write it down. This is the mistake I made.

It is vital as this will be helpful if you want a statement.

If they decide on an IEP, then take your time to review it and get some expert help. the one I had was not worth the paper it was written on.

Google the SEN toolkit and read it.

Good luck.

we av just had a letter from scool saying we av a caf meetin booked 4 may so hav fond this relly interesting

we went in2 scool 2 fill all the caf forms out and i wrote on there who i wanted to b involved like hv peadeatrician camhs ect

and they did the rest explaining on the form wat help adn suport we need ect

so im hoping it will b a positive thing

sooooooo good luck with yrs

love donnaxxxx