pookie170

Top of the Class!!!

Well, I'm soooo proud of my eldest, I've just got to let you guys know about it!!

We've been having major issues at school recently with manyoff what we've come to call 'Cal's old behaviour' raising their ugly heads again. It was getting to the point where the school were starting to make some comments regarding Cal's mental health- all prompted by genuine worrying about him, right enough.... and equally worrying, I was starting to get vibes of this kind of ilk-' We don't know if we can handle this...' from them, during the interminable phone discussions after school....

Things had deteriorated rapidly and the stress was enormous on all of us, Cal most of all. He couldn't say why, we could only make guesses at the reasons behind it, and he could only say 'I don't know!' if we tried the reasons with him.

Then....

I was able to tell him that he absolutely has a place at the secondary placement I've mentioned in other posts, and he metamorphosed overnight back into better behaviour.

His teacher knew, as soon as he walked through her door, that he was far happier than he had been the week before. She sent up a silent plea that her postulation was correct and it was. She phoned home after school, hyper as you like, and burbled happily about what a pleasure he'd been that day and how well he'd applied himself to his work, and how well he'd kept control when tested by another pupil.

There was, of course, much hugging and congratulating of the child, and a wee flurry of proud phone calls to the grandparents and aunties.

However, all that was eclipsed on the Friday because he loped out of his taxi brandishing a fistful of paper achievement!

'Look Mum! I passed my tests AAAAAAANNNND, look! I'm citizen of the week!!!!'

And so he was!

The wee soul had passed two National Test thingies, earned a monthly award for doing so, and had come home with his first ever 'Citizen of the Week' award! (This may translate as Star Pupil, or a Teacher's Award)- basically, he's made the most effort/worked the hardest/ behaved the best in his class!

Imagine the hullaballoo!! It was terrific, he phoned everyone he could think of to tell them (albeit with almost indecent haste and abruptness!) how well he'd done and then, before we collected his wee brother, we toddled off to a supermarket to buy the coveted wrestling figure that he's been drooling over for weeks now.

Yaay! Plastic men in pants, performing painful moves on each other whilst sweating profusely....(I cannot believe a child of mine would entertain such tat, but each to his own! :P )

Of course, I then felt duty bound to take the littley off for a (slightly smaller!) treat as he too has behaved well but as that's the norm, he doesn't get as much praise for it as we should really give him.....

Anyway, two boys were terribly happy and one Mummy felt much lighter of wallet.....

He only went and repeated his brilliance this week again! Another Marvel award for an outstanding powerpoint presentation and anothe Citizen of the Week one too.

He had been prewarned that we were back to the normal tri-weekly reward system, but I did say that he would end up with a rather specialler reward if he keeps this up.

(Help!!!! I'm actually skint!!!)

Anyway, long winded as I've been, that was our good news this week. Well, fortnight really!

Hope I don't come off as smug or anything, but I'm really pleased as Punch with him, (even though we're getting far more of 'Manic Boy' at home!!)

and more to the point, he's pleased with himself.

Oh Esther that's brillint news! :thumbs:

For your wallet's sake, I hope the reliance on financial motivation decreases soon if he's going to keep this up!

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Thanks guys- I'm going to show him this topic when he comes back from his Dads later.

Both lads are rather chuffed as I've put all their certificates into a ringbinder, which I'll get them to decorate this week- Lije recently gained to wee gymnastics certificates so they're in there with a couple of Headteacher's Awards he's gained at school.

It's nuts, Cal's section looks so full and impressive!! :thumbs:

I just relish being able to say 'Great job, well done!' to him (them, really!) instead of having to sit down and chat about more unfortunate events......

I think I can safely say, Kathryn, that we're going to try swapping to doing something nice instead of buying something nice after the next potential reward day!!

I think, perhaps, they're going to get all the reward they can cope with when we go to Disneyworld in August!!

(Hmm....I wonder if I can get the Doc to prescribe me some Valium for then...I've a feeling I might need it!!! :D )

Thanks again, your kindness means a great deal, fellas!

Esther x

AW thats such a lovely post! Well done to both the boys! Well done mummy for helping with the recession too!! :)

Seriously good work boys!!!