Sign in to follow this  
bid

Decorating advice again!

I'm finally decorating the last room in the 'new' house! :thumbs::notworthy:

Anyway, having stripped the old paper, the plaster is so poor that I will have to use good quality lining paper then paint, and have decided on a tasteful wall of garjuss feature wallpaper!!

My question is what do I do with the two corners of this feature wall. Obviously I can't paper a wee bit round and then overlap and trim through both to get a neat joint (as per The Mighty Book of Words). Do I just butt the lining paper up to the corner, and then butt the feature wallpaper up to the corner too?

Boho :wacko:

Edited by bid

hi bid,

we had a similar problem with our walls! we ended up buying thin wooden corner beading from a diy store and painting it the same colour as the walls then after the feature wallpaper is on we used some off that very strong glue thats the same as nails ;) to stick it on in the corners it looks very neat as we had huge problems getting the paper tidy at the corners as they were lumpy etc .

hope this helps

sonj

Thanks, Sonj :)

Also, do you start with one width in the middle of the wall and work outwards from each side so that the pattern is completely balanced, or do you start at one corner and work along as per usual??

Boho :hypno:

Thanks, Sonj :)

Also, do you start with one width in the middle of the wall and work outwards from each side so that the pattern is completely balanced, or do you start at one corner and work along as per usual??

Boho :hypno:

You need to look at the pattern on the paper as not all pattern are symmetrical to the paper,in fact most aren't. You may need to get the pattern central to get a balanced look.

As far as the corners are concerned I would paper round corner with liner an inch or so but you leave the edge lifted slightly and when it is completely dry ( you cant rush that bit, it may take a few days to dry so be patient) you tare the edge off so you don't have a hard cut edge to show through the top paper.

I hope that makes sense.

We lived in our last house for almost 10 years and never did get around to all the redecorating that needed doing, In the end just tarted it up a bit to sell. Been in your new House for almost a year now and so far have redecorated sons bedroom, that was a bit of a mess, and repainted dinning room walls as it had been very badly done to sell.

Kitchen and bathroom look nice but if you look closely you see how badly the tiling has been done, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so don't start a job until I have the time, energy and determination to do a good job

Edited by chris54

As far as the corners are concerned I would paper round corner with liner an inch or so but you leave the edge lifted slightly and when it is completely dry ( you cant rush that bit, it may take a few days to dry so be patient) you tare the edge off so you don't have a hard cut edge to show through the top paper.

I hope that makes sense.

We lived in our last house for almost 10 years and never did get around to all the redecorating that needed doing, In the end just tarted it up a bit to sell. Been in your new House for almost a year now and so far have redecorated sons bedroom, that was a bit of a mess, and repainted dinning room walls as it had been very badly done to sell.

Kitchen and bathroom look nice but if you look closely you see how badly the tiling has been done, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so don't start a job until I have the time, energy and determination to do a good job

A-ha! Cunning plan, Chris! :)

I think I shall either do the tear trick, or the other solution I had was to take the paint round the corner half an inch or so, so that when I butt the posh paper up to the corner any slight gaps won't show...do you think that would work?

Still plodding on with the prep :crying: Off to sand the walls now, then need to replace the skirting board at one end where it had been removed for some reason.

[Ooh, ooh..feeling chuffed 'cos I have replaced the backs on two wardrobes for my girlies...and I papered the hardboard before it was nailed on so that the interior is all garjuss! Will do the inside of the doors and drawers next :D]

Boho :dance: