sjb

They Said No to Statutory Assessment

Had a letter on Thursday, after coming home from a NAS Seminar about Sensory Needs.

Our LEA said no to a statutory assessment on the ground that they do not think his needs are severe or complex enough although they did admit he has SEN, but feel that his needs are being met at school action +

I rang the LEA to speak to the lady to be told she wasn't in, so i asked to be put through to someone else, the receptionist took my details and then i was put straight through to the lady that i asked for!!!!! unreal.

Told her i wanted a meeting asap, so i have a meeting with the education officer at the school next week.

I knew it would be a no, but you kinda hope they might see a bit of sense, after all how can they know if they won't assess?? mad isn't it!

:tearful:>:D<<'> Sorry Sally that is frustrating.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/refusaltoassesspack.htm

This is the IPSEA link to the refusal to assess pack.

Do you know that you can appeal to SENDIST ?

This link will provide the information you need on PDF.

Do keep an eye on the date of the letter.There are strict time limits regarding making an appeal.So it may be considering documenting your intention to appeal if you wish to do so.Don't wait in the hope that it will be sorted by a meeting.I think that the fact that you document your intention to appeal may demonstrate to the LA that you are serious.Karen.

Hi sjb, i have similar problems, been refused 3 times then last year i heard of ipsea

independant panel for special educational needs, they will help you to appeal and go all the way with u, its on the web, unfortunately i only got a note in lieu and stupidly thought it wud be enough to get help, one year on with still n9o0 chnage and no ieps we are no better off , but ipsea would have taken it all the way, ring them they will help u appeal. as soon as my lea knew ipsea were involved they changed their minds and agreed to at least assess i should have gone on to appeal things might be different now if i had, good luck www.ipsea.org.uk is the website , good luck x

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1763&a=3232

This link also includes the number for the NAS tribunal support scheme.They provide support for parents who have had a request for Statuary Assessment declined.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/helplines.htm

This link includes the tribunal support number for IPSEA.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hi Karen

I've already downloaded the stuff for Sendist, just need some ink (DS ran the ink out again!) lol

I have made a note of the date of the letter and i will be getting all the paperwork ready to appeal.

I'm not surprised it's a no as i'm told our LEA is one of the worst in the country for saying no.

Hi Karen

I've already downloaded the stuff for Sendist, just need some ink (DS ran the ink out again!) lol

I have made a note of the date of the letter and i will be getting all the paperwork ready to appeal.

I'm not surprised it's a no as i'm told our LEA is one of the worst in the country for saying no.

Sadly more and more appear to say no.I think sometimes they hope if they say no people will just not bother to appeal. :tearful: Karen.

Used to be like a lottery.. in some areas you didnt need a statement to access services extra help funding at school

as was the case up north.. so i moved there.

Then once there was told "off record" by headteacher to get a statement..

even though in a meeting they could not openly approve it!

crazy...

now im glad we have it.. fight all the way is my advice

we was told no at first even though he had been excluded the max times in a yr and he was 5 yrs old!

had 12 speacilists involved and was taking up all of the schools allowcated hrs and then for some crazy reason they tried to cut his 1-1 support in school

not that it really mattered most days he was sent home after 20 mins.. got to the stage when i just sat outside school gates waiting for the call to collect.

good luck

i have been told exactually the same as Connor is "coping" on school action plus he hasn't got a chance in getting a statement

Emma

Make it clear at the meeting that you will go to appeal, and that you have started getting the paperwork ready (even if you haven't) - if they know you mean it, they are more likely to give in at this stage.

Had a letter on Thursday, after coming home from a NAS Seminar about Sensory Needs.

Our LEA said no to a statutory assessment on the ground that they do not think his needs are severe or complex enough although they did admit he has SEN, but feel that his needs are being met at school action +

I rang the LEA to speak to the lady to be told she wasn't in, so i asked to be put through to someone else, the receptionist took my details and then i was put straight through to the lady that i asked for!!!!! unreal.

Told her i wanted a meeting asap, so i have a meeting with the education officer at the school next week.

I knew it would be a no, but you kinda hope they might see a bit of sense, after all how can they know if they won't assess?? mad isn't it!

exactly the same thing has happened to me. I've had the meeting and am waiting to hear the outcome of their decisiion. In the meantime I am logging an appeal. I'm going to keep fighting I have the schools full backing and we will get what we want :D Good luck with your meeting and I really hope you get the decision you want.

KA x x

Sib, big hugs to you, that is so disappointing! The school are going to apply for statutory assessment, but I full expect that it will be refused, as my LEA should be re-named Heartless County Council! They have a reputation for being difficult to deal with, but then so do I!!!

Hello KellyAnne, see that you also have the joy of coming under Heartless County Council - I am already planning to appeal, and the school haven't even sent their application in yet.

Good luck to everyone.