Carolynrg

Hello I'm New as well

Hello all

I am Carolyn 36 Married to Kevin and we have 2 children Aeryn 18 months and Harvey 3

It's Harvey who has just been diagnosed with Aspergers and to be honest I really dont know much about it so I'm trying to soak up as much information as possible so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks

i love gardening ,had a alloment last yr but going to do veg in our own garden this yr as we moved house in dec with bigger garden ,eaiser to water :thumbs: kids loved digging up the potatoes and picking all the veg ,and we have gone mad and a few months ago got 6 chickens 1 went broody and we put 6 fertalized eggs under her and on teusday we were pround parents to 3 chicks ,get 5 eggs a day adds up to alot of eggs any recipie ideas?.....

Hello all

I am Carolyn 36 Married to Kevin and we have 2 children Aeryn 18 months and Harvey 3

It's Harvey who has just been diagnosed with Aspergers and to be honest I really dont know much about it so I'm trying to soak up as much information as possible so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks

Hi Carolyn, welcome to the forum. I have 2 kiddies too, my 4 year old son was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism last year, also have a 2 year old daughter. Diagnosis is a very hard time, (bit like a rollercoaster ride!) but you should get lots of support here. The National Autistic society is a good place for info too. Will you get any support like Portage (I'm not sure if it covers all parts of UK?). Is your son in nursery? Are they supportive? I've done several courses which really help too, give you more strategies for supporting your son, visual timetables, egg timers etc. Anyway, welcome and feel free to ask loads of questions, there is some great advice on here. . .

Hi Carolyn, welcome to the forum. I have 2 kiddies too, my 4 year old son was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism last year, also have a 2 year old daughter. Diagnosis is a very hard time, (bit like a rollercoaster ride!) but you should get lots of support here. The National Autistic society is a good place for info too. Will you get any support like Portage (I'm not sure if it covers all parts of UK?). Is your son in nursery? Are they supportive? I've done several courses which really help too, give you more strategies for supporting your son, visual timetables, egg timers etc. Anyway, welcome and feel free to ask loads of questions, there is some great advice on here. . .

Hi Thomastank,

Thanks for the reply we have been on a short break hence my delayed reply was really hard word Harvey was all over the place and we basically had to let him burn out every evening so he would sleep without a fuss was very tiring but we had a lovely time.

Yes he goes to Pre School 2 full days and 1 morning and they flagged it to be honest and are really supportive and want to learn with Harvey how to make his Life easier so we dont feel on our own.

I have never heard of Portage but I did call for the DLA forms yesterday and one of His teachers gave a number for Direct payments it's all new to me I have no idea what he is entitled to have been reading lots on here about the benefits they are getting.

I guess it's all a learning curve

Hi Thomastank,

Thanks for the reply we have been on a short break hence my delayed reply was really hard word Harvey was all over the place and we basically had to let him burn out every evening so he would sleep without a fuss was very tiring but we had a lovely time.

Yes he goes to Pre School 2 full days and 1 morning and they flagged it to be honest and are really supportive and want to learn with Harvey how to make his Life easier so we dont feel on our own.

I have never heard of Portage but I did call for the DLA forms yesterday and one of His teachers gave a number for Direct payments it's all new to me I have no idea what he is entitled to have been reading lots on here about the benefits they are getting.

I guess it's all a learning curve

Hello again!

Portage is a home visiting service for pre-schoolers, they will give you loads of advice and strategies for making everyone's life easier, visual timetables, structure etc. Have a look on www.portage.org.uk We only qualified for a few sessions as my son was about to start school but it was worth it. Also the NAS do courses such as Earlybird which will help you too and give you more info on ASD. I also met some local people on mine. . . .

When you fill in your DLA form go the Cerebra website, they have a great form which lists the type of things you need to include question by question. Imagine your worst day and don't put he good bits down! There's another post on it somewhere, general discussion board I think.

Preschool should be able to call in people as well to help them.

Good luck, feel free to ask more questions if you need to! As you learn why your son behaves how he does it gets easier to understand and help him.

xx

Hello again!

Portage is a home visiting service for pre-schoolers, they will give you loads of advice and strategies for making everyone's life easier, visual timetables, structure etc. Have a look on www.portage.org.uk We only qualified for a few sessions as my son was about to start school but it was worth it. Also the NAS do courses such as Earlybird which will help you too and give you more info on ASD. I also met some local people on mine. . . .

When you fill in your DLA form go the Cerebra website, they have a great form which lists the type of things you need to include question by question. Imagine your worst day and don't put he good bits down! There's another post on it somewhere, general discussion board I think.

Preschool should be able to call in people as well to help them.

Good luck, feel free to ask more questions if you need to! As you learn why your son behaves how he does it gets easier to understand and help him.

xx

Will definately have a look at the portage website and thanks for the advice R.E the DLA forms will have to remember that.