bid

Keith Duffy...article about his family and autism

Also just read it, I saw them on the Mr and Mrs programme on tv at the weekend, he said then he had a daughter with autism, it was the first I knew. Enid

He also did an interview on TV that I found on the NAS website recently. He just hit the nail on the head and explained very clearly and concisely what the process and feelings are for most parents.

The article is very interesting. The more famous people speak out about this the more awareness will be raised.

On The Big Questions on BBC1 on Sunday, they were discussing the issue of providing information on suicide, and Ann Clarke (I think she's a journalist) explained how her son has Asperger's and wanted to kill himself when he was 10, because in his mind 'it was the logical thing to do because he didn't fit into this world' :tearful: . She said she had told him a quote "It is wrong to kill, whether it is yourself or someone else", and fortunately he appears to have taken that literally and had told her a few months ago how much the quote impacted on him.

As I said when he was on GMTV - I'm surprised at myself for saying 'well done that man' to anyone who had anything to do with inflicting a boy band/boy bands on the world, but... :thumbs:

My only qualm is just how much publicity HIS publicity is giving ABA, which, in theory, isn't a bad thing but in practice (and given some of the wider associations of ABA) IS. :(

ABA theory applied sensibly is beneficial, but it's a double edged sword that 'steals' credit from children who do respond and makes two time losers of those who don't.

More interviews and awareness, please, Mr Duffy, but for autism - NOT ABA

lovely looking kid - and has anyone noticed her smile looks much more natural than her dads! :lol:

:D

Edited by Kathryn

It was a lovely article and it struck a few chords with us. Both parents come across very well and Mia is gorgeous.

Our daughter is fortunate enough to attend an ABA unit attached to a mainstream, state primary school. I think many others would benefit from a similar education.

mandapanda can you find a video on big questions as would be interested to watch and here whether the boys personal feelings and experiences similiar to mine? i'd be grateful!

many thanks

XKLX