Sign in to follow this  
alexmum2

Need advice We are at the end of the line

I've come to the end of the line I'm thinking i should not be putting my son through this any longer. We had visit to CAHMS recently and it transpired that ds was suffereing from acute depression; they have suggested he be put on anti-depressents! Which i'm not happy about but if it will help him I'm willing to give it a go.

Just wondered if anyone else's child in year 7 have been put on anti- depressents?

Also have been reading different posts on the subject of removing your child from school; I think this is the only option left to us as I'm not prepared to see my son be made ill by this constant stress and depression which going to school is having on him,to face yet another day of bullying and humiliation.

fFrom what I've read; if I get a letter from CAHMS and or my doctor which states that he is unfit to attend school because of his depression do the LEA have to provide home tutors? is this the case? Do i have to speak to EWO so we don't get accussed of him truenting?

What other steps should we take so that (until a better alternative can be sorted out) he will be provied with some kind of out of school support? Do I contact the out of schools team myself or will the school or LEA do this? If anyone knows the answers to these questions I'd be greatful.

Hi.You need to get a letter from your GP stating that your child has been diagnosed with acute depression and is medically too unwell to attend school.If CAMHS are involved then it would be worth enlisting CAMHS support.Ask the psychiatrist to either write to your GP along the lines I have suggested or to write a letter for you directly and to send a copy to the GP.

Once you have a letter if your child is unable to attend school for more than 15 consecutive days the LA has to provide alternative provision.It may be in a PRU or medical school or may be home tutoring.Home tutoring is usually around about 5 hours a week I think rather than full time.

I posted a link to the full document on medical needs and education this morning.I will find it in a minute.It explains very well what needs to be provided.

There is no need for you to contact the EWO unless you wish to do so.Some are very helpful but they do vary.

There should be an officer at the LA who is responsible for arranging provision for children with medical needs that require alternative provision.It would be worth contacting them once you have the GP letter if you anticipate your child being out of school for longer than 15 days.

It might also be worth considering how you feel about a PRU.Some people feel that it may not be appropriate provision for children with ASD or medical needs and would want to insist on home tutoring.Karen.

Hi.One other suggestion.If you put a separate post on the medication section of the Forum with the specific name of the anti-depressant someone may well post information for you. :) Karen.

[quote name='Karen A' date='May 13 2009, 05:19 PM' post='25970ary.

There should be an officer at the LA who is responsible for arranging provision for children with medical needs that require alternative provision.It would be worth contacting them once you have the GP letter if you anticipate your child being out of school for longer than 15 days.It might be worth considering how you feel about a PRU.Some people feel that it may not be appropriate provision for children with ASD or medical needs and would want to insist on home tutoring.Karen.

What does PRU stand for? also I think that children can be educated of site I presume this means a 5 hour a week tutor? I think also that the LEA will on provide tutors with a veiw to your child returning to school ar some point?

What does PRU stand for? also I think that children can be educated of site I presume this means a 5 hour a week tutor? I think also that the LEA will on provide tutors with a veiw to your child returning to school ar some point?

Pupil referral unit.They are usually provided for children that are excluded hence why you may consider they are not appropriate.

The LA has to make arrangements for provision for all children with medical needs once absence exceeds 15 days.

I should say that the arrangement would only be for as long as CAMHS or the GP considered your child too unwell to attend school.So it would be worth considering as a stop gap but not really a long term solution.It would be worth having some idea of what you are aiming for long term.Karen.

There should be an officer at the LA who is responsible for arranging provision for children with medical needs that require alternative provision.It would be worth contacting them once you have the GP letter if you anticipate your child being out of school for longer than 15 days.

It might also be worth considering how you feel about a PRU.Some people feel that it may not be appropriate provision for children with ASD or medical needs and would want to insist on home tutoring.Karen.

The school has to refer the child to this department within the LA.

Bid :)

Morning.In my area parents can self-refer .A parent can find out who the officer is and phone them.I have never done this but know a well informed friend who did [ :D ] .The LA would obviously want to check the abscence was for medical reasons and certified.They would probably check atendance with the school.However if I waited until the primary school decided to contact the LA I suspect it would never happen.I suspect they would have no idea who the officer is or that there is a requirement to provide support for medical needs. :whistle: I have contacted the LA on several issues directly over the years and have always been able to find someone at the LA who was willing to help.[i know it is unusual but my LA is actually excellent :notworthy: ] The HT appeared to be unaware of the existance of any of them...along with the need for things like a complaints procedure,policy on legal excusion.....I could go on.

[don't mind me....in case you don't know both of my children will no longer be at primary school in a few weeks and my dealings with one school will be over after nine years.... :band::dance::bounce: ]

Although I never requested alternative provision for J because he was at the end of primary school and there was no point all the primary school ever did was threaten me with disciplinary procedings because he was not getting into school.Well alternatively he was getting to school having a panic attack and being sent home.

Can you tell that three years on I am still angry about it.

It is possible that the LA in some areas will not accept a parental request.However there is in my opinion nothing to loose by trying. :)

Edited to add I did talk to EWO about alternative provision for medical reasons regarding J.She did not know who to contact so she was unlikely to advise the school to contact them either. :)

Edited by Karen A

LEAs should ensure that....

Parents are informed about whom to contact to

request the provision of education otherwise than at

school.

Taken from the document I posted a link to above.This would suggest that parents should be able to contact someone at the LA directly. :) Karen.