Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

can you help with some ideas?

Hi,

My daughter's class are all doing a short presentation about themselves. For Lucy it is particularly hard and she was rather upset at the prospect of standing in front of people and speaking. I do want her to try to do things that the others do, but perhaps modify the requirements so that it works for her, as I think she will have to do this throughout life.

Her teacher is wonderfully supportive. Lucy is a amazing at creative writing, although she speaks very little. She has recently started making films like this:

Lucy's film

Her teacher has suggested that she make a film about her life so far and play it instead of speaking. It sounds a good idea but I think it's quite hard for her to talk about her life. I think she remains hurt that her biological father left when she was a baby and thinks it's to do with her AS. He had his own issues and didn't cope well but I think that's hard for her to accept. She has been adopted by my husband who loves her to bits, but obviously it's hard for her to accept this too as she doesn't like hugs or even accept compliments. She remains a lot in her own world.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas to get her started, particularly those with AS themselves; how would you portray your life? Or perhaps some element that might be easier? All ideas welcome!

Oh and btw, the drinking Mum wasn't inspired by me.....at least I hope not!!!

Edited by Shona

She doesn't need to go into the ins and outs of things which are painful for her. If her life story is not one she wants to tell, maybe you need to think of other ideas.

A pet, a hobby or a holiday might be better options.

Or she could do a Day-In-The-Life type film.

I would stick to safe stuff. If she wants to acknowledge her birth father - she could just show a family tree, no need to talk about it.

She might be surprised to find how many of her friends also have complex families when they do their talks.

With a bit of guidance, you could turn this into a "what is great about Lucy" presentation.

hi shona

i have just watch all of lucys films on yt and they were fantastic she is very talented, i think like the teacher says a film would be great, but she has to be comfortable with what she puts in it, hope you can both come up with something what lucy is happy with,

takecare

theresa

I have AS...what about a short film about something she really loves, like a special interest?

Hope it all goes well.

Bid :)

Shona, your daughter is amazingly talented! This film is just so moving...I've got tears flowing down my cheeks!

As for her project, how about looking through some family photos? She could do some kind of montage using Powerpoint with different 'chapters' based on aspects of her life, like Homes (different houses you've lived in, or just her favourite rooms in the house); schools (Nursery, Reception, Infants, etc..); Holidays; Christmas; Family (cousins, grandparents, etc)...She needn't mention anything she doesn't want to, and could keep it very 'impersonal'.

I made a book to show to the children in the class I was teaching in on Teaching Practice, and it was a bit like this. Obviously, I didn't go into details about my life, but just wrote about my family, pets, the village where I grew up, etc...and illustrated it with photographs from the family albums.

To be absolutely impersonal, how about 'A few of my Favourite Things' as a title...she could think about the things she most enjoys and film/photograph them, then create a montage set to the song from 'A Sound of Music'!

Alternatively, she might want to take the opportunity to show her classmates what having aspergers means for her. There's a book called 'Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome' by Jude Welton, written as if by a child, to explain his aspergers to friends and family. Another example of a child writing about having as is in 'Our Journey Through HFA and AS... A roadmap' edited by Lynda Andron.This one is actually written by the child himself, and he wrote it for his new classmates when he moved schools.

Good luck with the project. I hope she finds a way of doing it that she enjoys.

Hi Shona,

I don't know if Lucy reads this or if you tell her what's here, but that was an amazing film :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: - I don't get moved easily (Apparently I'm a hard ###### for not crying when wotsit drowned when he fell off the sinking Titanic into the warm swimming pool frozen Atlantic they were filming in :oops:), but her film - wow - maybe a bit close to home for me on some parts :tearful:, but still, amazing. I don't know if you've seen the recent programmes on Channel 4, but they had a film last night, and I have to say, with all honesty, this was far far better. (Oh, I don't do receiving compliments either so I know where she is on that one!)

Anyway, back to the topic in hand, I really cannot do presentations - they should be an aspect of my course, I have done one, and I will never do another one - I would rather fail after 5 years of work than go through that experience again :(. Inclusion needs to be about finding ways of helping everyone show what they can do.

I think the first question has to be 'what are they assessing'? Once you are clear on this, you can find ways to display the same knowledge/skills in a way that Lucy can manage without lowering standards. If this is not possible (i.e. they are assessing oral presentation only) then there need to be decisions made about whether she is simply assessed on other work (if it's a course) or if she needs to do something else.

If she is to do something else, the video seems to be a good way to go. 'About themselves' is very wide, and she may find it reassuring to have some guidance or explanation from the teacher so that she knows that the aspect she chooses is OK.

I can see the teacher's reasoning, but that's actually quite a big ask - fitting X number of years into a short film and doing it justice sounds difficult - maybe she could focus on a part she's happier with or go with, as others have suggested, a neutral topic - again depends on what is being assessed. I use artwork to portray my life - it helps me to understand myself and the experiences I've been through - I see each as a 'snapshot', I contextualise it partially in the accompanying writing but accept that others will bring their own interpretation through their own experiences - no one can know exactly how I feel and likewise I can't know how they're viewing my work - it was a big thing for me to understand this and made me happier about exhibiting my work.

So, if she is doing 'my life' - work out what she's comfortable with, work out the frames/key ideas, work out how they link, visuals etc (given her videos she probably knows all this) - maybe she could use something similar to this film using the Sims to make it less personal and more of a story?

Hi Shona. :)

I have just watched Lucy's film and think you have an extremely gifted daughter.

I am having to think of what to say.I need to go and find some more tissues and make a cup of tea.

I do not know how much you know about me.I am 43 now.I had a difficult time growing up at home.Our house was similar to Lucy's house.After a very happy early childhood my brother committed suicide in the house when I was nine.

The impact of his death on all of us was such that things were never the same again.

The film shows exactly how it feels from a nine year old perspective when things go badly wrong.It is remarkable.

I do think that it deals with some very complex and difficult issues.

I am obviously an adult.I am very articulate in many respects and have had some excellent support.However even now I find it very difficult to talk about my experiences.

So it may less complicated if Lucy does not go into a lot of detail at all.

I feel like I am posting this post wearing a different hat to my usual Forum hat. :rolleyes:

I think schools do not always realise how difficult it is for some children to talk about themselves and their background.

I have had experiences where my children have been asked to talk about issues around identity and family that have raised difficulties for me.

I cringe every mothers day when the various groups I attend make mothers day cards apparently unaware of the difficulties this creates for some children.

I will go and make a cup of tea now. >:D<<'> Karen.

Hi again.I thought I would add.....wearing my usual Forum hat. :P

Ben is 10.I don't know how old Lucy is now.

Ben produced a power point about himself with help from his ASD outreach teacher.I will talk with him when he gets in from school.I will see if he minds if I send it via PM.

It is about Ben and how he views the world.He used it to explain to staff at school what having AS is like.

It might give you some ideas.Karen.

Hi again.I thought I would add.....wearing my usual Forum hat. :P

Ben is 10.I don't know how old Lucy is now.

Ben produced a power point about himself with help from his ASD outreach teacher.I will talk with him when he gets in from school.I will see if he minds if I send it via PM.

It is about Ben and how he views the world.He used it to explain to staff at school what having AS is like.

It might give you some ideas.Karen.

Hi Lucy started making films at 12 and has turned 13 now. If Ben doesn't mind, that would be fantastic.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Shona

Hi Lucy started making films at 12 and has turned 13 now. If Ben doesn't mind, that would be fantastic.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Shona

I will talk to Ben this afternoon.Ben is a very bright AS 10 with an adult manner so passes for 13. :D

I will talk to Ben this afternoon.Ben is a very bright AS 10 with an adult manner so passes for 13. :D

Well.I asked Ben and he does mind.Sorry but I did try. :D

I will have a go at describing his power point.

He used power point to list the things that he likes and the things he is good at.He has special interests and things that he is very knowlegable about [second world war history,Canadian Indie music,electric guitars and ICT].

Ben also listed the things he finds difficult.

He also talked about what helps when he is finding things difficult and what people can do to provide support.

Hope that is some help.Karen.