Sign in to follow this  
connieruff

reporting concerns to social services

Hi,

I was talking to some people at work about a child at my sons school, and they said that I should report the father to the authorities. It is more bullying and emotional abuse - has anyone any reported their concerns to social services? How is it handled? The father is very volatile and he frightens me.

The boy is going to see his mother who lives in France next week for half term. I'm unsure what to do.

C

Hi, I used to be the child protection officer for a primary school. If I had to report concerns to SS, I would always have to speak to the parent if their child had made an allegation against them, but as far as I know, as a concerned neighbour, or parent at the school, you could go straight to SS yourself.

I really don't know if you could make allegations anonomously, because if you could, the system would be open to abuse by people making false accusations out of spite. I think you would have to give your details to SS, and they might keep those details secret from the accused father, but I can't be certain (you could always ring and ask that before you give any information).

Alternatively, you could ask to speak in confidence with the Head teacher, and tell him/her your concerns. It would then be up to them to do what they felt best with the information, but child protection rules are very stringent (despite what the press might have us believe! :whistle: ), and they will know what to do. You can bet that, if you have concerns, others will have as well, and the HT will probably be building an evidence base, which your information will feed into.

If it were me, I would go to the Head Teacher. :)

You could call the NSPCC to get advice. If you still have contact with a health visitor, you could tell her and she would tell the right people.

You can make anonymous reports to SS but you allegations would be taken more seriously if you give your details. Your details will not be past on to the person concerned.

Don't expect a lot to happen, unless a child is in imminent danger there will be some background checking going on that the parent may never know about, only if it is decided that something needs doing will SS put there heads above the parapet.

My experience of NSPCC, it depends on who you speak to as to what action they take, in a case like this they would probably tell you to report it to SS.

Anonymous allegations are treated just as seriously as any allegations that have a name attached to them (either way SS never reveal their source of information) if they are wrapped around suspected abuse. Emotional abuse can be just as damaging as physical abuse.

Cat

Hi

It's a difficult situation to be in, but given recent press coverage on baby P for example, if I had suspicions about a child being abused, I'd report it. Better to be safe than sorry and there's no reason why you couldn't say that you've witnessed X, Y and Z and feel that these may be signs of abuse, but you cannot be 100% sure. It's social services job to investigate and be sure. Social services are trained to deal with difficult situations in a sensitive manner. If the father has nothing to hide, sure he isn't going to be happy, but he should appreciate that someone only had his child's welfare at heart (that's certainly how I'd see it). Go with your gut feeling.

Caroline.