NobbyNobbs

sun exposure

the recent news reports have reminded me to ask - what do you all do about sun lotion? i hate the feeling of the stuff on my skin. it feels slippery and horrible, and my skin feels like it can't breathe. so i dont go outside when its sunny. obviously not the most practical solution, so i wondered if anyone had any great ideas or product recommendations (by pm) of stuff that doesn't feel awful

Edited by NobbyNobbs

I wear clothes or sit in the shade and come back from holiday almost the same colour I went. Works for me.

Edited by call me jaded

Same as Jaded - just survived 38c in Rome wearing linen pants, long sleeved cotton blouses & a hat. I use the once a day stuff for face (major chemists own brand) - slap it on & tissue off the excess. And the clear stuff for the rest of me. I wish parasols would come back into vogue.

I know it is horrible stuff. I hate it, my son hates it.

I tend to buy a once a day type of suncream. I put it on in the morning, then they have breakfast (that gives it time to soak in), then we head off to the beach. Then when we've had enough sun we cover up and head for the beach bar for the rest of the morning. Then we go home for lunch and a lie down.

Being married to a Greek, we tend to go to the beach early in the morning and late in the afternoon. It is only the 'tourists' that are lying in the sun baking!! By mid-day all Greeks are in the beach bar or having a siesta!

Infact I hate it more in the UK, because I have to put on suncream and go about my days work feeling hot and sticky. So when I can I cover up. And when it is hot I put suncream on my exposed areas.

So I would suggest you experiment with different brands. You will find a difference in the texture and smell of them. So just go for one that suits you.

One of the best products i've used is P20 by Riemann. You should find that in most chemists.

I have VERY fair skin and burn easily. People didn't believe me when I said I'd been to Egypt because I came back as pale as usual. I now use fake tan all year round to prevent myself from looking ill.

I find that covering my skin with loose, cotton clothing is a good way to prevent burning without overheating. Pale colours reflect some of the heat, you will be much cooler in white clothes than black ones. Remember that intense sunlight can penetrate clothes, so you still need to restrict your time outside in mid-summer, especially around lunchtime, and even more especially if you travel abroad or to the top of high mountains. It would still be a better option than not going out at all though!

A hat with a big brim can also create a shadow over you.

I know it is horrible stuff. I hate it, my son hates it.

I tend to buy a once a day type of suncream. I put it on in the morning, then they have breakfast (that gives it time to soak in), then we head off to the beach. Then when we've had enough sun we cover up and head for the beach bar for the rest of the morning. Then we go home for lunch and a lie down.

Being married to a Greek, we tend to go to the beach early in the morning and late in the afternoon. It is only the 'tourists' that are lying in the sun baking!! By mid-day all Greeks are in the beach bar or having a siesta!

Not all the tourists....... :rolleyes::lol:

We were tourists who have spent many annual holidays in Greece.

We were decidedly Greek in our approach.

But then we were not in the bars until 0400 and so usually made it to the beach early...unlike many who did not get up until 1200. :rolleyes::oops::lol: Karen.

Hi.One idea.There are lots of clothes around now that include sun protection.We used to use them for the boys when they were younger.

Sun protective clothing used to be mainly available from Australia but can be found in many supermarkets now.Karen.

Hi.One idea.There are lots of clothes around now that include sun protection.We used to use them for the boys when they were younger.

Sun protective clothing used to be mainly available from Australia but can be found in many supermarkets now.Karen.

I've also seen them in camping/walking shops.

Sun protection clothes from camping shops and sun-lotion wipes so you avoid the actual lotion.

Or move to Australia during our Summer and stay here in the Winter - although that might be a bit depressing :unsure::lol:

i'm reasonably lucky with my skin tone - white, but i tan real fast and dont generally burn, but obviously thats not help with skin cancer. i live right on the beach one of those fancy blue flag ones no less, and my mom spends a lot o time there in the summer, swimming and reading. i'd like to join her (just gotta learn to swim!), long sleves aren't an option, i wear short sleves all year. i'll llook into the lotion recommended (twice now, so its gotta be good)

My son's school insists on sun cream and a sun hat, tells me what clothes he has to wear etc, then I have to clash with the boy before he goes to school, because he doesn't want to wear anything but the uniform no matter what the weather ! He wouldn't wear a sun hat to save his life, he showed complete opposition in the pram if truth be told, nothing on his head. Sun cream we sent in was £15 a bottle, a week later they asked for more, I found out other parents hadn't bothered to send any in, and they were all using my son's, which was the only one with the rights 'factor' level. I don't know why they asked frankly, because he wore all long sleeves and everything anyway, and to keep him cool they let him stay inside :rolleyes:

My son's school insists on sun cream and a sun hat, tells me what clothes he has to wear etc, then I have to clash with the boy before he goes to school, because he doesn't want to wear anything but the uniform no matter what the weather ! He wouldn't wear a sun hat to save his life, he showed complete opposition in the pram if truth be told, nothing on his head. Sun cream we sent in was £15 a bottle, a week later they asked for more, I found out other parents hadn't bothered to send any in, and they were all using my son's, which was the only one with the rights 'factor' level. I don't know why they asked frankly, because he wore all long sleeves and everything anyway, and to keep him cool they let him stay inside :rolleyes:

Hi.I think schools are a lot more aware regarding the risk of sun damage to skin that they used to be.

I worked as a lunch time supervisor in a nursery for a couple of years.

Putting sun cream on in the morning was regarded as the parent's responsibility.

However any full time child that would not have sun cream on after lunch was just not allowed out to play in the afternoon.

I think the HT regarded sun cream as a health and safety issue as all of the children were under 5.

Parents would not be pleased if a child got sun burnt.

Nursery did have a supply of cream at the highest level available.It worked out expensive as a bottle does not last long when 60 or more children are all wearing shorts and short sleaves.

I have to say that attempting to ensure that 30 odd restless three and four year olds had applied sun cream in sufficient quantities to all areas needed was not my faviourite part of the job. :lol: Karen.

It's all well and good schools insisting on these things, but aspies have their own take on things. It is not them having to convince a child to do something they have spent all their life refusing to do or are averse to them.

Hi, my son hates greasy sun cream and its a complete nightmare getting it on him. I have found an absolutely brilliant sun protection.

Its made by Garnier,and its called Ambre Solaire Clear Protect Transparent body spray. I just spray it on my sons body and rub it in really quickly. Its not at all greasy. Couple of rubs and its all disappeared. I highly recommend it.

Not sure its very good on face but for the rest of the body its perfect for children with sensory problems.

Yes, greasy sun creams are really horrible. I don't like the feeling, too, it itches terribly on my skin. That gives me the creeps and it gets on my nerves. I'm a stay-at-home for a long time, so I'm not very often in the blazing sun.

LG Hyperakusis

I have no solution for your dislike of sun cream application only if you need it to go out it might need to be massaged well into your skin more, if you like to take your shirt off and play in the sea or swimming pool,you do need the sun block protection against getting burn't and in terrible pain. My P does not mind, he would not keep his wet shirt on last Sunday on the beach,so he agreed to having sun block massaged in and was ok and thankful,because his elder 13 year old brother refused and was in terrible pain for 2 to 3 days.poor soul and wished he had taken up my suggestion of sun cream rubbed in.