Sign in to follow this  
Janey

Sex Education

Hi All,

I've not posted for quite a while as everything has been going quite well!

Until now...

T. came home from school cluthing a permission letter for me to sign for him to take part in sex education. He was so upset as in his eyes, sex is something that relates to 18 rated films/games etc and is outside his rules until he is old enough. I know the content of these lessons is really puberty (T. is in yr5) but as it will involve all those parts of the body that T. already is so modest about (he even turns his cuddly toys away so they can't see him getting dressed) I am not sure how he will cope with these lessons or whether he will linger on the information which he does have a tendancy to do and end up worrying.

Janey

He does not have to attend those sessions, and if you think it best, I would say that you do not give your permission

Other children may not be attending for religious, etc reasons.

Our local Autistic Society runs a course on Sex Ed. (for parents) - maybe if you could find something similar you could opt. out of the school one and teach himself when you think he is ready?

Hi Janey

My youngest hates anything related to sex or even affection. He won't be hugged or kissed (even by us - he will kiss me on cheeks, dad on shoulders). He used to stop watching a programme if someone kissed (even just a peck), although he is getting better now about this.

He is a school refuser, and when we got down to only getting him to science they started doing reproduction, so that was the end of that!!! :(

I have to say we didn't realise this could be a trait of ASD at the time as he is very different to his brother with Asperger's who is fascinated by reproduction and not bothered by people snogging (in fact seems to have had an embarrassent bypass!!).

If you talk to a good special needs person at the school they should be fully aware of the connection here and be able to advise you.