Sign in to follow this  
julieann

Senco lost the plot

Hi all,

I usually seem to be posting on behalf of the parent of the pupil I support but this one is for me.

I have been supporting my pupil with Asperger's syndrome, ligamentous laxicity and other learning difficulties for the last 4 years.

We have just had a very successful meeting in which the statement was almost completely rewritten. The worm has turned

and mum has finally realised that she does have a say in her daughters education with a little push from :whistle::rolleyes:

This seems to have upset the senco who has know declared that I will not be able to support my pupil in year 11 because I

don't have GCSE German and Music :tearful:

Surely it's up to the subject teacher to provide a lesson at a level my pupil can understand. I thought I was supporting my pupils learning difficulties due to her autism :wallbash::wallbash:

It is so frustrating having a senco who doesn't seem to know what the role of LSA entails.

When the statement was almost rewritten she said it wasn't her fault that there were so many spelling mistakes and inaccuracies as she didn't have any other statements to copy from as my pupil is the only one in the school of 1,085 with a statement :tearful:

Well if she hadn't convinced my other statemented pupils mum that her daughter had grown out of her autism she could have copied that statement :devil::devil:

I thought that statements were tailored to pupils individual needs not copied from someone elses. :wallbash:

Julieann

And I thought statements were written by the LA, not the senco. :unsure:

K x

So did I. The senco actually put all the alterations to the statement on the computer whilst myself and my pupils mum were there. Then she printed two off and asked the parent to sign them both. She gave one to the parent and kept one for her records.

You could call this Senco's bluff by seeing who gets appointed LSA in Sept and comparing academic qualifications, but I doubt it will achieve anything. If you're in a union it might be worth running it by them.

Whilst in practice many Sencos do write statements (and the ones in my LA use identikit set phrases) they will not have the authority to 'sign off' on one. Again I can't see any advantage in rocking the boat on this one if the parent is happy with the provision.

This may be pushing the SENCo into a corner, which may or may not be worth it, but I would ask to see the policy document that states that an LSA needs qualifications in the subjects that s/he provides support for.

This may be pushing the SENCo into a corner, which may or may not be worth it, but I would ask to see the policy document that states that an LSA needs qualifications in the subjects that s/he provides support for.

i support students doing btec level 2 and 3, and a level students, in a mainstream provision. it is our beleif that it is better for the support tutor not to be an expert in the subject - that way it is easier for the work to be the students own, not the tutors.

i frequently pretend ignorance - to ensure that my students coursework is their own!

this SENCO needs to move on!!!

the only time we use subject specific qualified tutors for support is for scribes in exam conditions.

I would also query whether the SENCo can re-write the Statement.

Could there be any other reason for her denying you to be the LSA? Is someone else going to replace you?

Most parents agree that nominated LSA is best with things being generalised out to other staff members and into different environments rather than a different LSA for each lesson. But I know this approach is being pushed by some schools as being a more efficient use of staff. However the pupils do not do well with they constant change in who is supporting them. And in the end it is not a more efficient use of staff because if the child is having more meltdowns and having to be removed from the class, then the LSA is essentially also removed from the class to stay with the child.

surely it is the senco's job to write the iep, the statemant is written by the ed psych.

the statement just says what the childs diagnosis is, what provision is appropriate. the iep is the detailed document that says how many hours of support, what that should be, wht the learning targets are etc... and should be written by the senco, or by a suitably qualified person - ie support teacher, nursery nurse, ( not LSA)

the senco should be wrewritng the iep on a regular basis to take into account new learning and situation changes.

the statement is a very general document, the iep is specific to that child at that time

Edited by chrissiefiddle

So did I. The senco actually put all the alterations to the statement on the computer whilst myself and my pupils mum were there. Then she printed two off and asked the parent to sign them both. She gave one to the parent and kept one for her records.

This sounds more like the Statutory Document for the Annual Review, which is now filled in online and a hard copy signed by the parent.

SENCOs can't write Statements, this is done by the LA.

HTH

Bid :)

Edited by bid

The first school that I worked as a LSA at had me supporting mainly French and German. I sat in the interview with the SENCo trying to convince them why I couldn't support students in those lessons whilst the SENCo sat there convincing me why I could. I'd never done any German in my life and French was by far my worst subject at GCSE with me only managing a D in it. What I was told by the SENCo at the time was that because of my general level of academic achievement (I don't have any qualifications directly related to working as a learning support assistant though have a degree in Physics) I'd pick up the work faster than the students I was supporting. Hence as long as I followed the lesson I'd be able to support any students they put me with. In practice this certainly seemed the case though I do remember a couple of interesting sessions where me and a HLTA took the lesson when the teacher was off. In my current school I've also supported areas that I don't have a formal qualification in (it is a special needs school though). I hope you manage to get this sorted. All the best,

David.

PS In practice the SENCo at the school I'm talking about was correct. I didn't always find it easy but I was always able to understand things better than the students I was working with and hence help them progress. I'd also say for an autisitic student that consistency might be more important than academic ability in anycase. In a lot of cases in my experience the students are capable of doing the work they just need someone to convince them that it is okay to attempt something and to possibly be wrong.

Thank-you all for your useful comments.

Bid I'll check what it said on the front. I know that the senco was very keen to get this document signed by the parent so that the school could send it back to the LA as it has to go before a panel who have to agree to a change of provision.

Chrissiefiddle My pupil hasn't had an IEP looked at in almost 2 years. The old one that she has got has unachieveable targets on it. I and my other 2 LSA's haven't had a single departmental meeting since September 2008 :tearful:

The senco has either been at college getting the required GCSE's in English and Maths or off sick. There is no one else available to speak to who has a clue about special needs.

I am speaking to my union rep tomorrow (Thursday) morning. I'll post how I get on.

Julieann

Edited by julieann

Hi all,

I said I'd post you to the outcome of my phone call to union rep. His advice was to e-mail the senco and ask what my September hours were going to be.

Unfortunately I used one of the forum quotes that I had received in my e-mail.

"the only time we use subject specific qualified tutors for support is for scribes in exam conditions".

The e-mails turned into a competition to see who knew the most about scribing or scribbing as my senco spells it.

I got called into the heads office this morning for meeting with senco and head re September hours and told my total hours for September 2009 will be 2. Thats another 8 hrs weekly I have lost. A total of 14 hrs weekly lost in all. I asked what about all the whole class support I have been doing and was told that the school weren't having whole class support anymore as it wasn't needed :tearful::tearful:

My pupil is still going to be having 6 or possibly 7 Music and German lessons at the school but the head and senco have decided that her autism doesn't need supporting any longer. :wallbash::wallbash:

Julieann

That is disgusting for you and for the girl, but sometimes you just need to move on.

Good luck in finding a new job - one where they will appreciate you.

What will you do now? Will you stay or move on? It sounds as though the situation has become untenable.

K x

What will you do now? Will you stay or move on? It sounds as though the situation has become untenable.

K x

I'm waiting to see what happens with my union. Have started grievence proceedings against head and senco :devil::devil:

I do know that head and senco have been wanting me out for over 1 year. Came upon a very interesting letter today. I don't know if you saw my post were I applied for internal position of cover supervisor to be told by head that I was not suited because I was more the 1:1 welfare mothering type. This is after having already covered 43 lessons without the heads knowledge. Well I found out why they want me out today.

Letter to all cover supervisors:

On Friday 4th September there will be Teaching Assistant Training for all cover supervisors,

This training will enable you all to feel confident when you are needed in lessons as a Teaching Assistant rather than a cover supervisor. Please would everyone meet in staffroom etc.

Julieann

surely it is the senco's job to write the iep, the statemant is written by the ed psych.

the statement just says what the childs diagnosis is, what provision is appropriate. the iep is the detailed document that says how many hours of support, what that should be, wht the learning targets are etc... and should be written by the senco, or by a suitably qualified person - ie support teacher, nursery nurse, ( not LSA)

the senco should be wrewritng the iep on a regular basis to take into account new learning and situation changes.

the statement is a very general document, the iep is specific to that child at that time

Although the IEP/MEP should be detailed and SMART. The Statement should also state how much support in terms of hours and staffing provision the child needs. This is written in the Code of Practice. So Statements should not be general. They should be specific. That is further backed up by case law (which you can find on the ISPEA website). Where judgements have been made that say that a Statement should be so specific so that everyone (parents, school and LEA), are completely clear as to who is doing what otherwise it would be impossible for a parent to challenge whether the support mentioned in the statement was being provided or not. Also, as the LEA has to fund any additional support required on top of what a school or outside professionals would normally provide, that too means that it has to be specific.

For example, in my son's statement it says that a suitably qualified SALT will dedicate 6 hours per term to direct one to one therapy sessions consisting of 30 minutes per week in school. The nominated TA will sit in on these sessions and observe. They will then carry out that programme on a daily basis in school. It also dedicates a further 9 hours per term for the SALT to liaise with school/parents, training the TA, taking notes and observing, altering the therapy programme, input into the Social Skills Club, attending MEPs and writing up an updated report prior to Annual Reviews. The Statement also lists exactly what his social communication and language difficulties are that the SALT is working on and progress is monitored and recorded via the therapy sessions and his MEPs.