Vicky

Is daytime wetting common in ASD?

My DS is 8 years old and has had problems with daytime wetting for well over a year now. He hasn't been assessed for Autism, but we have long suspected he probably is. We have been to an enuresis clinic but that hasn't been much help, however, at the time i didn't mention the possibility of him being on the spectrum (I was going through a "no he isn't" phase). In fact, it never even crossed my mind that it might be to do with it! But just wondering if anyone knows if this could be related to autism? He has a problem asking to go to the toilet as he is worried the teacher will say no, even though I hjave had extensive conversations with the teachers that they will always let him go. He also gets distracted and too engrossed in ehat he's doing to bother going, and is wet most days.

Hi Vicky.

Sounds just like my boy (9). We all, teachers as well now to remind/encourage him to go to the toilet. He just forgets to go until the last minuet and if out of normal routine may not feel confident to ask or go on his own. Of Course that is common with a lot of young children and I think more so with boys. There are a number of factors that may make this more of a problem for children with ASD for example sensory and communication issues.

Your other post, If you are asking the question then it is likely that you know the answer. I don't see that it can ever be too late. As for explaining about seeing doctors etc. my boy just thought, to start with a least that all children went to see these people. We never made a big deal about it, just like going to the dentist. He was diagnosed with ASD just before his 8th birthday. About 18 months ago.

DD has accidents, mostly at school. She forgets to go, leaves it until the last minute or will not go if the toilet cubicle that she uses (she will only go in one particular cubicle) is dirty.

During times of change = stress, she will suffer full toilet training regression, bowels and bladder.

I believe that it is part of her ASD. She has a verbal diagnosis of ASD, we are still waiting for it in writing!

does he suffer from anxiety at all? stress? maybe have pic of toilet so he or you can point to this when he thinks need to go or can be gentle prompt and reminder for him! does he get upset and distressed when this happens? does he realise what happened?

good luck with this situation!

take care

XKLX