Sign in to follow this  
sarahjane

scottish system

Hi, we have recently moved to Scotland and tomorrow i have the first meeting with the school since the assessment of H (6 and as) began. At present he has no extra help, but does have a learning support teacher who comes once a week. He also has a individual educational plan which was started last year as he has problems with reading and writing. I know that record of needs is only used in severe learnind difficulities and therefore will not apply.

Is there anything else i should know?

Alos over the last few weeks there have been a few incidents when H has had a difficult time at school. i do not want to antagonise the teachers but not sure wether to bring these up or not. After this meeting the professionals are going to meet then we have to go back to clinic in June. These are early days and i want to get of to a good start but want what is needed for H. Any thoughts?

Hi sarahjane, welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear you are having problems with school. We have a few Scottish members and they may be able to help you more.

I recommend contacting IPSEA, they have a Scottish branch which has a helpline.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk

I don't think many professionals go out of their way to help you or point you in the right direction. IPSEA should be give you the information you require. To be an advocate for your child you have to be well informed.

Good luck, I hope you find the forum helpful.

Nellie xx

Hi sarahjane,

i have lived in Scotland for 10 yrs now, and i have a son 9 yrs with AS.I have a record of needs for him, because this is a legally binding document.I had great difficulty in the begginning to get the teachers to co-operate with me, but now it seems slightly better.

I think the biggest problem is that not many people understand the condition , and therefore they dismiss us as over protective mothers ect.

I would recommend you speak to ISEA the scottish equivilent of IPSEA down south the no is 0131 454 0096.

Where in Scotland are you , and what is your Local Authority.

good luck

Take care

Tess

Hi thanks for the replies. We live in highland. I think the main problem is the school has no previous experience with a child with aspergers. However i had a relativly positive meeting with his teacher and learning support teacher and have another meeting with all the professionals next week.

As there has only been an unofficial diagnosis as yet i think the problem is that the school think i'm probably over protective but they don't se H at home and see the stress school and homework can cause.

Well we shall see what next week brings.