Sign in to follow this  
lisac

going on holiday

Hi, myself and my 22 yr old autistic son would like to go on holiday somewhere. The thing is, when I have done this before, I've found it incredibly lonely taking him on my own. I dont know anyone else who is free to come with us, and would appreciate some adult company. Any one have any idea's of a solution? because I cant think of one. Thanks .

Hey Lisa,

I wonder if Gingerbread could offer any suggestions? I know your son is an adult now, but they might have suggestions, at least?

I'm wondering about the possibility of booking one of those campsite hols, where the tents are all ready for you, kinda thing? People on campsites tend to mingle more and get to know one another better, I've found. I don't know how suitable it would be for your son,if he'd be up for that or suchlike?

I also found this site, they seem to arrange club holidays with single parent members. I doubt that you would be the only parent with adult offspring who have SN's......

Hasten to add, I'm not a member, but it looks to be a friendly and welcoming site.......

http://www.singlewithkids.co.uk/forum/index.php

Hope you manage to find something that fits both your needs, I know how lonely being a single parent can be at times.

Esther x

It all depends how flexible your son can be. But when i've travelled as a 'single' i've sometimes tried coach holidays. Then you tend to get to know everyone on the coach. You travel with a guide. Every day there is a planned itinerary. And you can find tours that are planned every day, or some that stay a day or two in each hotel giving guests some free time as well.

I've also gone on camping holidays with my son (aged 8) and he loves it. TBH I can be perfectly happy on my own, or can join in a group as well. However my husband - who never washes the dishes at home - took to washing them every day on the campsite because that was were all the gossip happened!!

Even going on a package holiday can be as organised and structured as you want. Most package holidays have a representative (speaking as a former rep myself :whistle::whistle: ). So if you wanted to travel further afield, but also wanted the option of going on organised tours then a package holiday might suit as well. Just be careful about things like the temperature. So many times i've had clients arrive in 40 degrees plus, only for them to get sunstroke within the first 24 hours.

It's just a question of knowing what your son can deal with and what he likes. Apart from that you can find almost any holiday to suit.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it. Im really looking for somewhere/something with people in a similar situation. Maybe like groups of carers / disabled adults all going away/meeting up together. Does anything like this even exist? I dont want to go mainstream as the patronizing/sympathetic looks/people moving out the way, is just too much! especially when my son decides to hop on one foot, shout out 'hello michael' and sing gloria gaynor top of his voice. I do have a very good sense of humour but we should'nt be there for everyone else's entertainment.

Edited by lisac

Where we are there is an organisation for the disabled that used to have a holiday hotel for disabled peeps and carers (I just googled for a link, and they don't seem to offer this service anymore :( ).

I wonder if there is anything similar in your area? I guess SS should know.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Im really looking for somewhere/something with people in a similar situation. Maybe like groups of carers / disabled adults all going away/meeting up together. Does anything like this even exist?

It does, but very very few and far between. I've looked into these both as something I might enjoy and also as something I would be interested in working with in the future. I spent several days search all sorts of sources and came up with 4 (yep, 4, count them... :shame:) such centres in the whole of Great Britain. (Oh, if you want to travel, I found a fantastic one in Southern Australia...).

I've just looked at the 4 I have - 2 are only for the disabled people (more respite) but two are for families:

Badaguish

Kepplewray

I hope that helps, and if you do go either to these or you find a similar one (maybe if you call these they might know one nearer you? :unsure:) I'd love to know what it's really like. :)

Have you tried asking your local Tourist Information, or contacting your local Autism Services and Support Groups. I have from time to time been sent information about holidays via email and through the post - but I don't know how I ended up on the mailing list. However these were like holiday cottages for the disabled and weren't organised groups. But the above organisations might know of something.

I just googled 'holidays groups autism' and came up with the following. I haven't looked much at the website, but it seems to cater for children and adults on the spectrum. www.happykidsholidays.com