Sign in to follow this  
TheNeil

A New Level of Stupidity?

Been away for a while through a combination of holiday and being sick (won't say what but still suffering and off work :sick:)(and it's not swine flu before anyone offers to hang a bell round my neck and shout 'Unclean, unclean' :shame:) but this morning the NHS managed to sink to a new level of stupidity.

Was on the phone to NHS Direct explaining that I couldn't even stand up, had had to crawl to the phone and had been advised (by the nice doctor in A&E on Sunday morning) to go back if I wasn't better within 24 hours (I was so out of it that my brain didn't know what to do - not eating or sleeping for three days kind of does that to you) and the nice nurse on the end of the phone suggested that I get a certain brand of over-the-counter medication.

Me: I don't think I can make it to the chemist in time

Her: Could you ask a friend to go for you?

Me: Well everyone I know is over an hour away

Her: What about a neighbour?

Me: I have Asperger Syndrome and talking to people isn't easy for me

Her: I don't understand. How does having asmtha stop you from talking to people?

Me: Asthma? I don't have asthma - I have Asperger Syndrome

Her [Angrily]: Yes, asthma

Asthma? Asperger Syndrome? AARRGGHH :wallbash:

hi the neil

sorry to here you are feeling unwell, can the dr not come out to you and do a home visit, if you are still as bad as you sound you should consider phoing a&e, and see what advise you get from them they might send out transport for you. but dont leave it to long if you are feeling this bad,are you having liquids? and that person on the nhs line should realy try lisening to people, :wallbash:

take care

theresa

Home visit? Oh that made me laugh :lol:

Managed to get an emergency appointment yesterday and got myself to the surgery. Now armed with an armful of new pills and a somewhat fuming GP. The 'asthma/AS' thing gave her a good laugh - the advice about drinking fruit juice and milk instead of water (which was what NHS Direct told me to do - even though the hospital told me to stick to the water and avoid fruit juce and milk) had her somewhat fuming. Mind you, this was the same NHS Direct woman who told me to stop taking the pills... :whistle:

TBH that all depends on the information given to the NHS direct person, unlike your GP she wouldn't have a letter from A+E, and all your history. she probably advised milk and juice because you said you hadn't been eating and would need to increase your blood sugar. refusing all options she presented for getting the medication would have put her back up with you seeming awkward and saying you wont speak to neighbours just sounds like a bad excuse unless you know the ins and outs of AS, more so if she misheard it as asthma. NHS direct is always going to be a limited service because they dont have enough information to do the job properly (which is why i never call them these days, they always tell me to call an ambulance anyway and i'm certainly not going to do that!)

hi the neil

hope you are feeling a bit better, have the tablets helped and are you eating and drinking yet.

takecare

theresa

Tablets seemed to do the job and I'm eating and drinking again. Still hurts but that seems to be more down to not being able to take my ADs for four days (now they hurt :tearful:).

Couple more days though and I'll be back to my bouncy, annoying self :devil:

Still not impressed with NHS Direct though :shame:

Poor you - being sick is just horrid and rotten to be given duff advice from someone who should be a support to you.

Hope you feel better soon!