MrB

Water and washing

It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is vile. Now and then I find the sensation of water on my fingers (especially when bathing or washing myself) utterly horrible. I've always had this. but I am noticing it more now as I get older. Is this common? I have a great deal of sensitivity to pain that I suppress more these days as I have taken up outdoor pursuits and getting chafed, cut and bruised is much more common now, so wonder if that is why i am noticing the water thing more?

My son, who is 5, has always had a difficulty with water. Once you get him into the bath now he is USUALLY ok but getting him there is problematic. He hates washing though he was a bit OCDish re hand washing for a while. When he was younger he would fight and flail. Swimming pools make him hysterical.

My son, who is 5, has always had a difficulty with water. Once you get him into the bath now he is USUALLY ok but getting him there is problematic. He hates washing though he was a bit OCDish re hand washing for a while. When he was younger he would fight and flail. Swimming pools make him hysterical.

I can understand that. Myself, it's swimming in natural places that freaks me out, I'll do it, but I actually hate it. The feeling of wet pebbles and sand underfoot freaks me. Dry sand and pebbles, no problem, wet EEEEK.. :wacko:

I can relate to this, I hate getting wet. With me I think it's more of a temperature thing maybe. My mum used to say I'd scream when she put me in the bath and then I'd scream again when she tried to take me out again, the feeling of wetness on my skin, ick. I'm okay when I'm actually IN the shower or the bath, it's coming out of them and still feeling the water on my skin and the air hitting the water that I don't like. I love swimming, but I hate being wet with it, iyswim. Getting out of the pool and getting dried in a grungy atmosphere is more than I can tolerate, but actually when I'm IN the pool I like, if that makes any sense at all.

~ Mel ~

I can understand that. Myself, it's swimming in natural places that freaks me out, I'll do it, but I actually hate it. The feeling of wet pebbles and sand underfoot freaks me. Dry sand and pebbles, no problem, wet EEEEK.. :wacko:

I feel the same to the point that I would not swim in the sea or a river at all, ever. I don't find it terribly disabling though. It's not something that really has any bearing on my life.

yes it VERY common sign with sensory issues with water and washing with being on spectrum alot parents on here tell similiar personal situation they explain is same over it is a actual pain felt through water and because of that washing is hard task to do!

My lad hates water in various ways....the bath will be lukewarm but he goes mad when he gets in saying it burns him, he hates the water anywere near his face n likes to be scrubbed dry with the towel. But also if it is raining he wont open the car door cos it has rain water on the handle n it is 'dirty'? :whistle:

My lad must be bucking the trend then, he is totally obsessive with water and it is a full time job keeping him away from it. Put him in a bath he will stay there all day if you let him. He likes the 'sound' of running water and will also run a tap for hours if you let him, I was scrouring the internet for lockable taps.

Guest featherways
It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is vile. Now and then I find the sensation of water on my fingers (especially when bathing or washing myself) utterly horrible. I've always had this. but I am noticing it more now as I get older. Is this common? I have a great deal of sensitivity to pain that I suppress more these days as I have taken up outdoor pursuits and getting chafed, cut and bruised is much more common now, so wonder if that is why i am noticing the water thing more?

Yup. Hate water. Will tolerate it as a necessary evil every day, but I so hate it. It's either too hot, too cold, or (in the case of a shower) very painful. Urk

DD used to - not so much now - complain intensely about the wrinkled fingers you get from being in the bath. Now it's just a general struggle to get her clean, 1 bath or shower a week is a success. She wants her hair washed regularly though, sometimes she'll do that by herself.