Sign in to follow this  
Zebedee

Hi!! Newbie here!!

Hi everyone! :thumbs:

I have been browsing for a little while and finally plucked up the courage to post...

My husband and i have a 4 yr old son (well, almost 5 ) who is being observed for a possible ASD, most likely Asperger's. His next appointment is in October. He is starting mainstream school in Sept.

Putting it plainly, it is 'doing my head in'!! Some days he is fine, happy, and some times even finds a little play mate. Other days he is soooo clingy, will cover his ears when in the presence of other children, shout strange words which he has made up himself. He will talk a lot of jargon and won't seem to understand what we are saying / asking him to do.

I have just deleted the rest of this post... I had typed a hell of a lot of stuff but I feel that all I'm doing is putting him down all the time. I can't do it. :unsure:

Basically our son is showing a lot of the signs of an ASD and has done since around 1yr old. We're finding it hard to deal with on some level purely because we feel in limbo. I think that when (and if!) he gets a diagnosis we will all find it easier as we will understand why he does the things that he does and be given the advice and support we all need. At the moment, I am not telling him off half as much as I could as I really don't think he understands that some of his actions are 'naughty'.

I could go on and on and on...

Anyone else go through this total confusion stage??? He may not get a diagnosis, but we strongly think he will. (see - my head is two and fro all the damn time :wallbash: )

As I know you will all understand, we love our son more than anything in the world and just want the best for him.

Hope you are all having a fun Saturday - we're off the fill the paddling pool!!

Zebedee xxxx >:D<<'>

hello

welcome to the site, dont be down on yourself we all have good days and bad days, its the way it is. Hopefully you will get a lot of advice and support from this site, as we have.

I have been browsing for a little while and finally plucked up the courage to post...

My husband and i have a 4 yr old son (well, almost 5 ) who is being observed for a possible ASD, most likely Asperger's. His next appointment is in October. He is starting mainstream school in Sept.

Putting it plainly, it is 'doing my head in'!! Some days he is fine, happy, and some times even finds a little play mate. Other days he is soooo clingy, will cover his ears when in the presence of other children, shout strange words which he has made up himself. He will talk a lot of jargon and won't seem to understand what we are saying / asking him to do.

I have just deleted the rest of this post... I had typed a hell of a lot of stuff but I feel that all I'm doing is putting him down all the time. I can't do it. :unsure:

Basically our son is showing a lot of the signs of an ASD and has done since around 1yr old. We're finding it hard to deal with on some level purely because we feel in limbo. I think that when (and if!) he gets a diagnosis we will all find it easier as we will understand why he does the things that he does and be given the advice and support we all need. At the moment, I am not telling him off half as much as I could as I really don't think he understands that some of his actions are 'naughty'.

Anyone else go through this total confusion stage??? He may not get a diagnosis, but we strongly think he will. (see - my head is two and fro all the damn time :wallbash: )

As I know you will all understand, we love our son more than anything in the world and just want the best for him.

Hi Zebedee and welcome :thumbs:

My youngest boy was diagnosed with autism when he was 4, and like you we had noticed the signs from very early on. I can identify will all the feelings you have. We found the diagnosis still came as shock even though we were expecting it. It's been a very steep learning curve but things have definitely got easier.

One thing I would advise (and you probably already have!) is to make sure the school are fully informed of what's happening.

Don't be too hard on yourself - we are all just doing our best, after all.

Nicky >:D<<'>

Welcome Zebedee,

My daughter was only diagnosed at 15 so we had had longer to gather our evidence. We more or less accepted her quirky ways when she was little, but it was when she went to school that certain traits became more obvious, e.g. the way she related to other children, and to the more structured classroom environment.

I hope the assessment in October will make things clearer for you, and hope all goes well with the school start,

K x

Thanks guys... >:D<<'> It's comforting to read your replies and thanks for the advice. It's nice to be somewhere where people finally understand.

I ended up having a good day with the little chap, bought him a whoopee cushion... He loved it !! :)

Hello and Welcome! I can totally identify with you, my son was diagnosed with HFA aged 3. He is now just five and about to go into his 2nd year at school. His (mainstream) school have been brilliant. Limbo land is horrible and it will be much better when/if you get a diagnosis. As Nicky has said, keep school informed as much as poss. When my son started we sent in a booklet about him and the things that troubled him (like your son noise, playgrounds, school bells etc.) and things that he liked/settled him. My sons school had no previous experience of ASD and they have done wonders, Good luck with yours! xx

Hello and Welcome! I can totally identify with you, my son was diagnosed with HFA aged 3. He is now just five and about to go into his 2nd year at school. His (mainstream) school have been brilliant. Limbo land is horrible and it will be much better when/if you get a diagnosis. As Nicky has said, keep school informed as much as poss. When my son started we sent in a booklet about him and the things that troubled him (like your son noise, playgrounds, school bells etc.) and things that he liked/settled him. My sons school had no previous experience of ASD and they have done wonders, Good luck with yours! xx

Hi! Thank you, I'll make notes of the things that trouble him ( Children screaming, crowds, hand dryers etc. I think the bell will be a problem ) and things that settle him, excellent idea!

Our school has a few children that require SEN so hopefully they will be understanding. Although, I did put a brief description of what's happening on his admittance form, the school said someone would be in touch but nothing yet. It's great that your son is getting on so well, I guess it really helps when the school is understanding. I've heard of one school who left a little boy sitting in the bike shed each and every play time as he couldn't interact with others. They'd put a blanket on him. That was it. He has since moved to a school for ASD and has apparently blossomed. Is it right that these schools are not funded??

Have a wonderful day everyone, and thanks again for the warm welcome.

Zeb x

Hello, I know exactly how you feel. Going through the diagnostic process (my son was diagnosed ASD in Nov 08) I felt like I was continually describing his bad/terrible character traits and 'slating' my own son. I felt like I was conspiring against him. However, you have to pull yourself together and know that you are trying to help your child. My son faces lots of challenges, but he is intelligent, he gives me hugs (but not kisses) and my world would be dark without him. He is 7 years old right now and I am learing so much because of him.