Sign in to follow this  
brooke

x factor

Hi

I have read online that there is a very good singer who has auditioned for x factor this year and he has AS. Just wondered about everyones thoughts on this :) Personally i think if he is looked after well and can cope it will be great for him and help public awareness of as/autism. On the other hand i really hope he is ok and can cope with the pressure if he gets through, as susan boyle on BGT had a difficult time.

Sorry if this has already been posted i couldnt see it anywhere on forum

Brooke

If I had the best voice in the world I wouldn't go near shows like. I think they're unnecessarily cruel--purely for the sake of entertainment.

yup have known about him for a while

he is on youtube

his name is Scott James.

this was why i posted my message the other day with a simple explanation of AS, as people are discussing AS on other forums and were unaware of what it was, then getting the wrong sort of info on it and discussing it.

Can I add that Scott knows what he is getting himself into, he has a loving family who support him in his choice to audition for the xfactor. It is something he wants to do.

Edited by something_different

Hi

I think it is good that people follow their dreams regardless of whether they have AS or not.I know there is alot of pressure and think I would not cope but if people chose to go on the show I am sure they know by now what they are getting themselves into.My eldest son says he wants to do it but he is nine and dont think he can handle the rejection side he will think he is generally not good enough,so I told him to wait until he is older,my six year old with AS is great at dancing but would never agree to go on such a show he generally doesnt care what people think so dont think he would care getting booed off!!!

I haven't really watched the x factor so I'm not totally familiar with the format of this particular show, but I agree that these shows can be cruel as they are not designed with the interests of performers in mind. Anyone with fragile self esteem shouldn't contemplate entering, in my opinion, and I definitely think children should be barred form appearing. Adults can make their own decisions and there is no reason why someone with AS shouldn't do it if they want to. If Scott gets through though, I hope it's on merit alone, not just because he has AS.

K x

If they mention his AS on the show I just hope they don't make it come across like a sob story, with all the emotive music and such nonsense. They seem to do that a lot :angry:

it sounds cool. i nearly went on xfactor auditions and i have ASD but i had difficuty getting to london so i didnt go but i found someone who can take me next time but i think i should get a coach to help me find the right songs so that im able to go on xfactor as i tend to choose the wrong song but can sing first.

Hi,

It's an interesting one, this thread! OJ discovered he could sing at 11 and has had numerous solos at school (even singing to Prince Edward) and has wanted to audition for various things like Oliver and Britains got Talent. I wasn't sure if he was emotionally strong enough to cope with the rejections but he continually surprises me!! I was glad he didn't get through Britains got Talent as I feel that it does take the mickey out of a lot of people and he doesn't want to do X factor when he's 14 - he knows he couldn't cope with the whole boot camp thing!

But he does want to be a famous singer/West End musical type thing and if he wants it badly enough I think he will go out there and do it - he certainly has the voice and personality and loves to talk to people about his Tourettes and Aspergers!!!

And he has an audition on Saturday for a singing competition and is singing at an 18th birthday party in the evening!!!!

Stella xxxx

Wow, go for it OJ! :thumbs: