Sign in to follow this  
victoria

Is he too young?

Hi

I have been speaking to my Educational Psychologist with regards to whether I should be applying for a statement yet for my ASD son, who was 3 in April. Currently I'm not happy with the level of support he is getting.

She told me to wait until Nov/Dec time, as if they assess him now, it won't necessarily accurately take into account his needs for school when he starts in Sept 06.

As I never quite know whether my LEA are telling me the right thing or not, just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this.

Thanks

hi victoria, i would apply now as it can take 6 month's to get a statement done i applyed for my son's when he was 3 and he did not start nursery untill he was nearly 4 because we had to wait to get him into a place at special school but it was worth the wait as he is 8 now and he is doing really well in school.

I would apply now if you want him to have extra help in pre-school. It can be reviewed again if it needs to be changed in readiness for the transition to school.

yes i would apply now my son was around two and a half when the statmenting progress started he was already in a nursey for children with special needs and doing well but as the prossess can be very lengthy it should be started sooner rather than later my son has been in school since sept 04 and was awarded a place at i special school his statment will be due for review soon which im dreading already the statment prossess can be very frustrating so be prepared my son already had his formal diagnosis of asd then which helped. good luck :D

Hi Victoria,

Yes, I would apply now, but it may be helpful to give IPSEA or the NAS a ring first to ensure that you have the evidence for a stat. assess. Their advice is excellent.

Nellie xx