emma in wiltshire

New here

Hello, I have 2 sons ages 7 and 4. My 7 years old has ASD. He is very intelligent although underachieves at school. He is prone to anxiety, outbursts and lacks empathy and understanding about feelings, friendship etc. He hates apologising; it confuses him because he doesn't feel sorry and thinks it is ok to 'get your own back' if someone has hurt you on purpose or accidentally. He hates germs and won't share cups/food etc. He washes his hands very thoroughly. He picks his ear until it bleeds and has a nervous cough. He is also brave, almost fearless. He reads well. He has adopted a polar bear because he is worried about them becoming extinct. He loves swimming to the bottom of the swimming pool at the deep end, but does not always do as his instructor aks him. Life is interesting. I am separted from the boys father who I believe is also ASD, although he won't concede this. I am in a new relationship with a very understanding man.

Hello, I have 2 sons ages 7 and 4. My 7 years old has ASD. He is very intelligent although underachieves at school. He is prone to anxiety, outbursts and lacks empathy and understanding about feelings, friendship etc. He hates apologising; it confuses him because he doesn't feel sorry and thinks it is ok to 'get your own back' if someone has hurt you on purpose or accidentally. He hates germs and won't share cups/food etc. He washes his hands very thoroughly. He picks his ear until it bleeds and has a nervous cough. He is also brave, almost fearless. He reads well. He has adopted a polar bear because he is worried about them becoming extinct. He loves swimming to the bottom of the swimming pool at the deep end, but does not always do as his instructor aks him. Life is interesting. I am separted from the boys father who I believe is also ASD, although he won't concede this. I am in a new relationship with a very understanding man.

Hi There

Wow your story sounds just like mine,I have four boys my second son aged six has AS and I to have separated from their dad and when I took my son to the GP they to believe their dad has AS.He refuses to believe anything is wrong with our son and thinks the world is against him and his family.My son also does not share cups plates he has specific cups cutlery etc with certain designs on he will rather go hungry than to share. My son is obsessed with rules but breaks them and also doesnt understand the concept of apologising.Hard time at school as he fidgets by taping kids or playing with their hair and today got in trouble for drawing on two kids jumpers,so things are not easy but he is a lovely child who is really funny and smart sometimes smarter than me!

Keep in touch.

hates germs ,washes hands alot and won't share other cups/plates sounds OCD traits to me have you looked into OCD has OCD ever cropped as a possilbe outcome to these signs as sounds likely??? if want more information on it ask and get you some as i know ASD traits can be very similiar at some stage this sounds further and pick his scab off his ear sounds like a form of self-harm if i wrong then ill apologise if i've offended you by my comment in this!!! we find following instructions difficult /hard tasks at times as don't understand why they are used in society as not seen as purpose as much in 'our world'it is likely his dad also has ASD may be genetic link to your family links somehow alot people with ASD prone to other MH probs such as anxiety this is common!! believe me on that fact!!so is all other stuff you mentioned!

take care

KLX