Stressedout

HELP! deadline this Friday

This is posted in desperation. I literally cannot cope with the Statementing process any longer.

Have been issued Statement and am at the stage where I agree or disagree content. Have had a meeting with LEA to discuss - outcome was an extension of time and I was asked to submit what I thought should go on the Statement. I have had to ask for another week, which has been granted and I now have to hand in my submission this Friday.

I've been through the Statement with a rep from Parent Partnership. She helped me highlight the areas I disagree with or want to question. However, when it comes to writing up these points I find I get bogged down with detail, need to refer to several reports, spending ages sifting through paragraphs, and finally becoming overwhelmed with the enormity of it all. I feel as if I have turned into a Lawyer!!

Now I am feeling ill. Headaches, gut aches, and my period two weeks early!

I don't know what to do because I'm never going to meet the deadline, and I cannot bring myself to phone and ask for more time, I'm pretty sure its run out.

I feel like giving up and just agreeing to the Statement and then hope that I can push for alterations at next year's review??? I have no idea how it all works.

I feel like giving up and just agreeing to the Statement and then hope that I can push for alterations at next year's review??? I have no idea how it all works.

Hi Stressedout,

Sorry that I have no advice I never went down the statement route with my daughter so have no idea of what is involved - but i'm sure someone will come along soon who will be able to help you out.

Take care, chin up,

Jb

This is posted in desperation. I literally cannot cope with the Statementing process any longer.

Have been issued Statement and am at the stage where I agree or disagree content. Have had a meeting with LEA to discuss - outcome was an extension of time and I was asked to submit what I thought should go on the Statement. I have had to ask for another week, which has been granted and I now have to hand in my submission this Friday.

I've been through the Statement with a rep from Parent Partnership. She helped me highlight the areas I disagree with or want to question. However, when it comes to writing up these points I find I get bogged down with detail, need to refer to several reports, spending ages sifting through paragraphs, and finally becoming overwhelmed with the enormity of it all. I feel as if I have turned into a Lawyer!!

Now I am feeling ill. Headaches, gut aches, and my period two weeks early!

I don't know what to do because I'm never going to meet the deadline, and I cannot bring myself to phone and ask for more time, I'm pretty sure its run out.

hi

i get the same thing with too much info load, call parent partnership and see if they can help you more and get extension on time

its best to get it right

good luck x

Hi Stressedout

You're at the proposed statement stage, is that right?

Don't panic - it sounds as though you're halfway there if you've highlighted all the areas that you're unhappy with. I think it would be good to get something submitted, even if it isn't perfect.

will pm you

K x

Hi Stressedout

You're at the proposed statement stage, is that right?

Don't panic - it sounds as though you're halfway there if you've highlighted all the areas that you're unhappy with. I think it would be good to get something submitted, even if it isn't perfect.

will pm you

K x

Hi K

Yes proposed Statement. I'm continuing work on it today, and yes, I guess if I had in something rough and unfinished it's something ! Not Herts anymore because we moved to Beds and I had to start the process all OVER AGAIN !!!!

Hi Stressedout,

Just wanted to say that I am going through Statementing process at the moment. It really is hellish!

Don't even have the draft proposed Statement yet, but have been told informally that they are going to issue a Statement, rather than a Note in Lieu, which, frankly, isn't worth the paper that it is written on.

Don't give up, keep at it until you get what you need, you can always threaten them with going to Tribunal.

ALSO - just going through this Stattement thing and need to ask a few questions if anyone is out there and available to answer asap I would appreciate......

Why does SALT get listed under 'F. Other Advice' ? Isn't this 'Educational'???

And...I requested an ICT assessment be carried out in school. This was granted, along with permission for a private ICT assessment by AbililtyNet. However, I see that the LEA have put this under 'Educational Advice' in part 1. However, there is no mention from either ICT report within part 2.

Does the Statement have to be written with these particular headings...

Communication, Personal Social Emotional, Approaches to Learning, Educational, Physical Sensory & Medical, Independence & self helpskills, ???

These seem to be concluded as: "From the advice provided it is clear that Alex has difficulties with : 1) fine and gross motor skills, 2) social communication, 3) Aspects of literacy and learning skills.

Is that an adequate way to finish off Part 2???

ALSO - just going through this Stattement thing and need to ask a few questions if anyone is out there and available to answer asap I would appreciate......

Why does SALT get listed under 'F. Other Advice' ? Isn't this 'Educational'???

No - Educational advice is only that which comes from the school itself. SALT should really be under Medical advice.

And...I requested an ICT assessment be carried out in school. This was granted, along with permission for a private ICT assessment by AbililtyNet. However, I see that the LEA have put this under 'Educational Advice' in part 1. However, there is no mention from either ICT report within part 2.

Part 2 should reflect all his needs, if ICT has been highlighted as a need it should be mentioned.

Does the Statement have to be written with these particular headings...

Communication, Personal Social Emotional, Approaches to Learning, Educational, Physical Sensory & Medical, Independence & self helpskills, ???

These seem to be concluded as: "From the advice provided it is clear that Alex has difficulties with : 1) fine and gross motor skills, 2) social communication, 3) Aspects of literacy and learning skills.

Is that an adequate way to finish off Part 2???

There's no one correct format - the SEN toolkit recommends 3 different ways of setting out the information, but the usual format seems to be Educational (or Learning, or Approaches to Learning), Communication, Personal Social and Emotional and Physical, Sensory and Medical. There can be further subdivisions - it depends on the individual child's profile of needs.

What matters is that for each need in part 2, there should be corresponding provision in part 3, so it helps if each area of need is clearly set out in a separate paragraph in part 2 and there is a paragraph in part 3 which corresponds to it. Otherwise - surprise surprise! - things get left out.

Part 2 usually ends with a short bullet point summary of needs and that's fine, as long as all the needs are mentioned and have already been fully described in longer paragraphs. Without knowing your son's needs or what exactly the LA have done with part 2, I can't say if this is adequate or not.

K x

What I did was to draft a points to be raised leaflet and bullet point everything I wanted included in the Statement that wasn't. I read though every single peice of paperwork I have received and picked out points from letters and inluded those in the points I wanted raised - highlighting the paragraphs on the letters that they related to so they couldn't question it - all the paparwork should be in with the draft statement that they sent you so you will both have knowledge of these items etc. If you think something has not been included in the paperwork (mine was a report from the CHAMS OT) then you can ask them to see about that so it is included if you think it will help your cause.Then at the meating with the LEA we discussed every point fully and she told us what the school had to do and when. Please don't worry too much, I was nearly sick as I got out of the car and DH thought I was going a bit ga ga but the lady was very very nice. She told me that the time allowed (15 days) was a guide and they only apply that for the parents who don't bother to reply to the letter or be involved in the process, if they don't reply after 15 days they go with the Draft statement so something is put in place but if you phone and ask for more time to get reports then I'm sure they would be ok with that. If when they send you an ammended statement (you get another 15 days to approve that) you are still not happy you can ask for more changes and another draft made out and it should carry on until you are happy. That is how are lady explained it to us anyway, not sure if it is like that everywhere though.

The school is our problem so that is why I had to make sure everything that they (LEA) told me should be done was written down in the statement.

Hello - having got the "getting a statement with very little support from the school T-shirt" please let me assure you that the time limits only apply to the LA not you. As far as I am aware , you can ask for as much extra time as you need (I think I took about 2 months). Basically, until the statement is finalised the LA do not have to pay anything to the school, (hence the school may push for you to sign quickly so they can get the funding).

What I did was write the whole thing out myself, then asked several people to read it and suggest how I could phrase things better etc. I asked parent partnership, dyslexic society, local Autistic trust (and also my husband to check on the correct use of grammer!)

From experience, I have found that unless your child needs very precise things done (eg physical things such as exercises)the statement is only as good as the school who are suppose to carry everything out.

I think you need to ensure there is precise detail about how many hours support you are given(not an amount of money as was specified on our son's). The reason for this is if you are allocated money and the rate of pay for the TA goes up, then your hours may go down!!

Also, check the first part contains a good summary of your son's difficulties. The theory is any supply teacher should be asked to read the whole statement, before they take the class, but in practice, they are more likely only to scan through. Treat it a bit like a CV - all the important facts on the first page and further details further on.

Please don't panic, you have got past the hardest part which is getting the LA to agree to do the statutory assessment.

Edited by caci

You can also get the NAS educational helpline to look over your proposed Statement. IPSEA also offer a similar service.

What you need, as previously mentioned, is all needs or difficulties itemised under section 2 and for each difficulty mentioned to be specified in section 3 as to how it will be met.

Eg. XXX has difficulties with social interaction and play skills. He tends to join in when approached, but is just as likely to remain alone and was seen to pace up and down the fence line during breaktimes. (section 2).

XXX will attend a Social Use of Language Group which will teach social skills. The SALT will have input into the targets of this group so that goals and skills are appropriate to XXXXX needs. XXX will be supported by a nominated TA during classes and at breaktimes to ensure that these skills are generalised into different environments. The SALT will work on social interaction skills as part of her therapy programme and will spend XXX hours per term on direct therapy and XXX hours per term on associated work such as observations, note taking, training of school staff, liaising with parents, attending IEPS and writing an up to date annual report prior to annual review. The nominated TA will observe the speech therapy sessions carried out by the SALT and will practice these on a daily basis in school. Progress with social interaction will be monitored via IEPs and through using a system such as SCERTS to identify areas of strengths and weakness. XXX will be supported to use social skills learnt to use them during unstructured time so that he does not need to pace along the fence line. School will also provide access to suitable dinnertime clubs and structured play.

If reports have been written correctly you should be able to 'lift' what the SALT/ED Psych have written in their reports and cut and paste it into sections 2 and 3. Sometimes the difficulty is that they have not been specific enough in their reports to state how a particular need should be met. But the SEN Code of Practice states that it should be SPECIFIC in terms of hours of support and staffing provision. You have every right to write to those professionals and ask them to clarify 'how' your childs need should be supported.

If there is anything you are not happy about you can go to tribunal. Don't agree to a Statement you are not happy about. An unspecific statement is not worth the paper it is written on. For example if it says your child should have 'regular' input from SALT - what does that mean. What is regular? Is it weekly, termly, yearly etc. Again the NAS and IPSEA should be able to help you with that. But also ask the SALT what they consider is 'regular' to meet the needs they have identified. If you feel they have not identified all his needs then highlight them and ask them to comment on them. You can go to tribunal over that. You can come to an agreement with the LEA right up to the start of the tribunal.

It isn't easy. It is confusing. There are lots of papers and reports. And yes you do begin to feel like you could sit an exam to become a lawyer. But it is worth keeping on fighting if you are not happy with what the LEA is proposing. A Statement is to secure and provide the support your child needs up to around age 19. And anything they 'require' over and above what the school or NHS normally provides has to be funded by the LEA. This is not just about 'academic' support. It should also include speech and social skills, occupational therapy, life skills etc.

I did eventually get my own private reports and a solicitor because I was drowning and the LEA reports were not extensive enough. But the NAS and IPSEA can help and they don't charge. There is also a useful document others have posted about what should be included in the Proposed Statement. I think it is pinned somewhere on this website.

Thanks Sally

Yes I have had private reports done too.

Had the meeting with LEA and upshot is a 2nd proposal is on its way. I handed in a list of difficulties that I felt should be included along with what provision I thought should be put in place, as well as my comments on physiotherapy, OT and SALT input being incorporated as an 'educational' need. I did not have time to address everything I wanted, but at least some changes will be made.

Apparently I have to agree to the Statement before I can appeal. I'm pretty sure I will appeal and take this to tribunal. In the meantime I will contact IPSEA who have helped me in the past.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.