Sign in to follow this  
peaches

A change of school has worked wonders

I was hoping to tag this on to one of my previous posts, but cant find them.

Anyway to cut a long story short, DGS was diagnosed at the beginning of the year, after a lot of hassle in reception class and the beginning of year 1. I thought he was in a "good" school. I thought they were doing everything they could, but disagreed with them on one or two points. DGS got a statement with 9 hours of one to one on it, but the school had a TA with him all the time because he had lashed out a few times. We needed to move house, we moved to another area and found another school. We wavered about this for ages, thinking it would have a negative effect on DGS.

Well what a difference it has made. This new school just somehow works for us. Its in a less prosperous area than our last one and there are a few other children with behaviour problems. DGS has less one to one time (but his statement is met). The first week he was in school they got someone from the autism service to see him, which was something never achieved at his old school, and also got a behaviour support assistant to work with him twice a week. We had a review meeting last week, and school actually got a Senior Ed Psych AND a lady from Autism Service to attend, as well as the head, the senco, the learning mentor and his behaviour support assistant. The meeting was very thorough and lasted an hour and a half. At the other school I was on a half hour conveyor belt with the teacher and senco and barely got to speak. This forces me to ask myself well if one school can do it why cant the other?

This week he went on the stage at good work assembly and showed his work, he went to his first dancing class and pestered me to allow him to go to after school club. The previous week, he consented to his first ever haircut with electric clippers, consented to have cream applied to a sore on his nose, and started to learn to ride a balance bike. Dont get me wrong he still has behaviour problems and outbursts, he still has sensory issues, but its as if all of a sudden he has matured a little and settled down a little.

Im so proud of him.

wow loads of positives and achievements too, that is excellent, and great that the new school are providing your GS needs and really pleased that you have now got the help too, that proffessionals are finally listening and helping, that in itself makes a difference doesnt it, i know how proud you are as my own son too has made some massive achiements also this week and i feel on top of the world, it is sooo great, what others take for granted we explode with pride and tears of joy, I cant bear the feelings at times as there soo emotional, but we have to be proud, but I bet the proudest person will be your little fellow, bless him.

JsMumxxxx

:thumbs:

I'm glad it's going well. It makes such a difference when you feel the school is capable and able to do what they should do and involve outside professionals. And it does make a difference when our children do grow and develop as well.

We also moved Ds from a "good" small local school to the big one in the less prosperous area a few years ago. It was before his DX but during the investigation period, and I agonised for ages over what to do. Especially as we didn't move, so it involved a load of paperwork and appeals etc to change schools just because......

I am soooooooooo glad we did! the new school has done everything differently from the start, and DS likes going to school now!!!! He has a FT LSA - which he needs, when she is off sick or whatever it is always a nightmare, but the whole school attitude has been different. Best decision we ever made:)

I'm petrified about what will happen when he goes to secondary in a couple of years time, but for now, school is working. yay for the good schools! I have to walk past his old school each day on the way to the new one, so still see some of the parents - the school hasn't changed its attitude towards "naughty children". If DS had stayed, he would proably have been expelled and a school refuser by now :tearful: