Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Realised why I'm not feeling Christmassy :(

I know it's still early, and the weather's been all wrong etc etc, but even taking all those things into account it's still feeling less like Christmas than usual...

And i think I just realised why...

amidst all the adverts trumpeting 'here come the girls' and all of the other ones promising new, discounted sofas with guaranteed delivery before the 24th and nothing to pay until January 2020 there's something missing:

Good old Woolies :o:tearful:

Maybe not so important for the younger gen - but for all of us 30 plusses (hem hem! ;) ) It's as integral to the whole Christmas vibe as reminiscemces about Morcambe and Wise, The bitter virtues of Cointreau, drinking 'Voorninks' evening and morninks and the Ambassador spoiling us with grotty chocolate balls covered in foil. Not to mention the after eights... :crying:

I'm not saying bring the stores back - lets face it, they couldn't hope to compete these days with such an outdated shopping concept behind it all - but i think in the interests of our historical heritage the lottery fund should pay the BBC to make a spoof Woolies ad every year and run it as an ident before each programme. Not an ad - so no conflict at the Beeb, and minimal costs as the lottery wouldn't have to pay advertising rates for the air time. Be honest, circling hippos or 'that's the wonder of good old woolies'?

*sigh*

Edited by baddad

You are right I miss woolies to :crying:

I have been on the online shop but its so not the same and much more expensive!I loved their home range ie.teapots etc. and loved going at spring to get picnic and BBQ bits,there was always a bargain.Also having four boys they were one of the few stores that had really nice good quality clothes and dont forget....the pic'n mix :dance:

It was a shame that woolies went but it has been more than made up for locally by the shops that have taken over the old woolies stores.

And were I miss the woolies of my younger days, they very must seemed to have lost there way in resent years.

It was a shame that woolies went but it has been more than made up for locally by the shops that have taken over the old woolies stores.

I saw a report recently which suggested that you can tell what a locality is like by the store which took over from Woolies. We have a 99p MegaStore... :huh::unsure:

We had a pound shop, but it has now closed down.

Another local one has reopened as a discount store, but it sells real awful junk.

when you said woolies I thought yu ment JUMPERS, and got very confused of what you where going on about, but yes I sure do miss woolies, J does too, our old woolies is opening into a new store, the rumours are its a sister of woolies so selling very similair items to woolies as soo many people are missing them, but yes woolies was a store we went in search of christmas shopping.

As for Jumpers, yesterday up north was the first day it truely got cold, it was a certain bite in the air, today its glorious sunshine, the sky is an amazing blue not a cloud in site, its just sooo odd.

Anyway hope you get that christmas buzzz soon,xxxx

I know its only November but Were certainly putting place some preparation and looing for ideas, Ive got no presants yet though, has anyone started christmas shopping yet?

JsMumxxxxx

Hi Baddad,

Take a look on youtube "Woolworths Christmas Adverts" (husbands idea). We have just spent an enjoyable 10 minutes reliving past Christmas'.

Hi Baddad,

Take a look on youtube "Woolworths Christmas Adverts" (husbands idea). We have just spent an enjoyable 10 minutes reliving past Christmas'.

Are we allowed a link?

JsMum

Since Woolworth is no longer trading, I don't see how it could be considered a commercial link.

I am going to put my mod hat on and say yes, we are allowed a link :)

This hasn't happened on our high street. Our ex Woolies shop is still depressingly empty, and the bare and bleak windows don't enhance the high street. I really miss it as we don't have a huge choice of shops in our small town and it was a good place to find cheap everyday bits and pieces.

We even had a Woolies in Harare, Zimbabwe where I grew up, selling the same kind of things, so it was a major part of my childhood too. They had the best pick n' mix in town! :)

K x

For anyone who is interested.

Woolworth's is still trading, only as a mail order/Internet retailer, part of a big mail order company.(Cant remember which one).

If you're in Dorset there is also

Wellworths

A lovely story - it was the subject of a documentary too. Still going strong, I think. If only more ex employees had had the same initiative!

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Where our local woolies was is still empty, don't think they filled the one in Gloucester high st either :unsure: The one in Gloucester was big and now the street looks really empty without it, then again about half the shops are empty there :whistle: