Jannih

Inertia and ASD

I noticed on a recent topic that Tally had mentioned something called " inertia" in regard to ASD. I have never heard of it, but can really relate to it as it probably explains certain behaviours of mine.

1. Needing to get the gardening done but having difficulty motivating myself. Once I get out there I don't stop until it's dark.

2. Opening a packet of biscuits. I eat one, then another....then another.... then another.... then another. I keep going until the pack is empty.

3. At work I find it difficult to switch over from one task to another. If I start a job I have to finish it, even if it means staying behind after 5.00pm. This has caused problems with my colleagues.

4. I might stop dead in my tracks and I just stand there for a minute or so, for no particular reason ( I do this when I am alone - not in the presence of others )

5. I have a sewing machine and although I am not a particulary good dress maker, once I get started I really enjoy it and will not stop even for food. Everyone who knows me would know that I love my food, it is my "vice". They would be very surprised at me saying this, and would probably not believe that I pass food by !

6. I go out with the sole intention of buying a birthday card for someone but come back without it . That really upsets nearest and dearest. They will get one but it is often very late.

7. I am sitting at my computer, knowing that I have umpteen jobs to do. LOL.

Do others identify with this ?

Jannih

Inertia is a scientific term which states that objects in motion tend to stay in motion, and stationary objects will remain stationary.

It is not all just about difficulty getting going. It is also about difficulty stopping, and changing from one activity to another - or types of activity, eg. switching from a high energy activity like hoovering to a low energy one like writing a letter.

It is different to a lack of motivation, and involves a difficulty doing even tasks you really, really want to do. It is difficult to separate the two sometimes, because they can look so much alike. Most of the things you have listed (except probably nos 4 & 6) do sound like they could be inertia-related.

i have trouble finding energy from different levels needed to do varied tasks druing the day didn't know had name and was AS related i think may also be MH too though depression!

Strange as it might seem but strawberries motivate me to get moving in the morning. They help with low motivation depression.

Alexis

HEY THAT'S ME!!!!!

Well actually it isn't me, it's Anna Sullivan, but you get what I mean :)

Same for what much of Jannih said as well.