Sign in to follow this  
seeking-sanity

Advice Please!!

Hi

Could any one tell me who LPSEA are?? I desperately need advice on my sons education or lack of it.

Hes just started home tuition only four hours a week, hes 10, year 5, eventually what to intergrate him back into school but he needs the help set up for him,hes been refused an assessment for a statement, because proff didn't respond within the 6 weeks. J's been dx with dyspraxia and just finished assessment for aspergers and now dx with aspergers, he is on school action plus and the school had offered him 10 hours help a week, which we felt was quite good, but what happens is when they think Js managing they withdraw it, also the school accept J has Dyspraxia but do not eccept he has aspergers, even though the consultant,physchologist and the SALT have dx this!!! The SALTs report said J has great problems communicating and this would set him apart from his peers, but his head says Js fine, we feel like we are banging are head against a brick wall. At the moment J will not go to school cos he feels he is not understood, we desperatly need them to understand before he is intergrated.

Sorry for going on but at wits end!!

Thanks for listening any advise would be great.

Hi seeking sanity (love the name) IPSEA = Independent Panel for Special Education Advice - Offers free telephone advice for parents of children with SEN. You can find more about them at

http://www.ipsea.org.uk

I hope this helps, its sounds like you need some very good advice with your situation, also The Advisory Centre for Education might be another good port of call and can be found at

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk

again extremely impartial, and with the interest of the child with SEN in mind. They also have some really good publications that help explain the SEN process.

And if you really want to get your teeth stuck in to the SEN process I can't recommend strongly enough getting the Special Education Needs Code of Practice from the DfES its free!!!! and it has all the legislation that schools and LEA's are meant to follow.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk

or phone 0845 60 222 60

I hope this helps, every child as the right to an education according the their needs.

HHxx

Hi seeking sanity,

You will find lots of information about special education procedures in education resources.

These are the three main topics.

SEN Support and Information Services

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=676

Useful Documents on SEN Procedure.

For parents of children with SEN.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=675

NAS information on SEN procedure, NAS information

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=690

As Hectorhouse has already stated, any questions, just ask.

Nellie xx

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me what the learning support service do?.

My son's ed psychologist has asked the school to refer my son to them for assesment for his literacy and handwriting difficulites ( his words!!)

Can anyone shed any light please??!!!.

Thanks.

Hiya HH.

i'm in south wales ( Rhondda cynon taff area)

thanks for all your help!!.

I've spoken to HT earlyer and apparently someone from the learning support service came in today to do an assesment!!!. Was asked to come in by school and ed psych!. great!. nice of them to inform me!. She even had the nerve to say ' if you said about th lap-top earlyer , i could have asked her when she did the assesment' :angry:

I have phoned the LEA asked them, then they tried to put me through to the LSS ( learning support service) and was told line was busy, took my number supposed to be calling me back.

thanx again hun!!.

sel. :wallbash::wallbash::fight:

Hi Sel,

Thanks for the location advice I am doing my research to see what I can dig up for you. With regard to the LSS coming in to do an assessment, you are right you should have been informed, I believe that the LSS is part of the LEA and even if it wasn't they have been requested by the LEA to come in and assess your child. The LEA must send a notice to the parent of their intention and purpose of the examination, you have a legal right to be there! The HT obviously knew they were coming in and they should've informed you as well, I am pretty sure but I am sure that they have acted outside of legislation. Also, you should've been allowed the opportunity to meet this bod yourself and discuss the outcome of their visit.

Have you got a copy of your childs school records, you can make a request to the head for these, they have to comply within 15 working days, this comes under the data protection act, they might charge you photocopying, but it is well worth doing, it is amazing how much you can glean from these files, that you dont actually get told face to face. If you have difficulty getting copies, then you can contact the governing body and then the DfES. The HT might not like it, but if they are not being forthcoming what choice do you have, and after all this is your child.

HHxx

Hiya, :o

I just wanted to apologise to seeking sanity for hijacking your thread!!. I was having such a time yesterday, i didn't realise!!!. :huh::oops:

Sorry again

sel. :notworthy: