Sign in to follow this  
pingu

Statements

Hi All.

I wonder if anyone knows ... If something happens in school. Would the head teacher have to write a statement, to maybe jog his memory at a later date.. ? would this be standard practise or just wishful thinking?

take care

shaz

I am assuming this is something "bad"?.

I too would like to think everything would be properly recorded, however I have been known to send letters, recorded delivery, and copied to head, class teacher, SENCO and chair of Govenors explaining what I had heard/been told and asking for their comments. (Just in case someone else has been too busy to keep proper records)

There are procedures for 'incidents' to be recorded. I don't work in a school, so I don't know what they are.

If you are concerned about something that has happened, I presume you could ask to see your child's school file to see what is on it.

From your angle, if you write anything into school and you wish it to be put on their file you need to request that. I was told that recently by IPSEA. Letters into school do not automatically go onto the child's file, so if it is about something you consider very important that maybe school has or hasn't done, then request it is put on file. IPSEA told me that anything you write into the LEA's SEN department automatically goes onto the child's file.

For more serious incidents, we fill in an incident report (what happened before, during and after), and then this may be followed up by a more senior member of staff if appropriate.

Depending on what exactly you are talking about it may be covered by legislation requiring proper records to be kept.

Some types of incident have to be reported to, and are investigated by, outside bodies.

Edited by chris54