justine1

got diagnosis.

Hi all

My son has been given diagnosis today,he has Aspergers,we went for a second assesment today,at the first one the paed said she knows he is on the spectrum but certain aspects lead her to believe he is more Autistic than Aspergers,if that makes sense!Today after doing certain games and asking him questions she said it is Aspergers.I mentioned that the school are reluctant to get him help cause he is intelligent she was very annoyed about that and said how is his intelligence going to help when he is excluded for "aggressive" behaviour? When I went to the school thy were acting as if they never said anything of the sort,the Head said the paed had contacted her yesterday(before the appt) and paed had asked why Sam was not getting any support,the school kept telling the paed that he needs diagnosis first,so school said today now he has that he will get support and they will get a statement for him!I am so very pleased,I have "known" he has Aspergers for 4 months after the GP suggested it to finaLLy get it confirmed I feel like celebrating I know no mum wants her child to have autism/ASD but at least I am no longer seen as a bad mummy!The paed gave me LOADS of info and a number for a local support group.Thank you everyone for all your support glad I will be sticking around here for a while now!

Thats a reliefe and its going to be difficult too to digest the news he now officically has AS so do take it easy, you make find yourself getting upset but that is normal, isnt it so annoying that the school dont budge until a diagnosis and now he has one they want to help, some how think your Doc had something to do with his change of heart around the statement.

Lets hope that the statement meets his needs, anyway it is all good news for your son.

JsMumxxxx

Edited by JsMum

thats good news for you and yor son. lets hope the school wont say these things now that he has a dx, and that it will help school to understand his behaviuor and manage it well.

xx

That's good news Justine and I hope it helps move things forward at school. Keep an eye on things - if the school don't start the statementing process soon, remember that you can yourself.

K x

Congratulations your son has Asperger syndrome.