JeanneA

What to do?

Going on from another thread that was put up, I've had this problem forever (thats how it feels)! My 15 going on 16yr old son Glen who is severely autistic doesn't like School but does need routine, so even though he prefers being at home in the school hollidays he still keeps on daily about 'big school tomorrow' even though I try to explain that its the holidays now. Yesterday was particularly bad Glen continually repeated his home/school tomorrow all day. I think he just needs constant re-assurance that it is 'home' as apposed to school. I will be so glad when January comes! Any suggestions would be gratefully received regarding trying to stop Glen continally repeating himself before I go insane!

Perhaps he needs a lot of structure even when at home? Is he struggling to decide what to do each day or worried by having to decide?

Would he feel better if you made him some sort of visual timetable for what was going to do each day? For example fill in when he should get up, get dressed, breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as bedtime. Fill in any family commitments or things you have decided to do such as shopping, visitors, favourite TV programmes etc and perhaps make suggestions of how he could fill his time - such as computer games, DVD, go for a walk etc

Perhaps this would make the days more structured and less confusing

Hi

I wonder if a visual calendar would be of benefit. My son has AS and is 8. During the summer holidays for example, I made up a calendar showing him how many days he jad to go until he went back to school. It also depicted what we'd be doing during the holidays.

Caroline.

Hi. I have to do this even now. I put every thing I have to do in clouds on a sheet of A4 and cross off when I have done them. It works for me otherwise I just get depressed and end up doing nothing.

It is worth a try.

Defo agree with the calander and visual timetable, we use these too, also J has a Big Calander clock that gives you the time, the day the date so he can see when its actually saturday, or sunday, we realised with J he didnt have concepts of time or date, this confused him vastly, he doesnt understand yesterday, today, tomorrow or the next day sentences.

So a calander is a good way to get them to see visually how many sleeps and how many days there is to an end of a particular event, even when we go on holiday we have a timetable and how many nights away we are ect....

J finds it also difficult parts of the day too, morning, afternoon and evening, again we broke these down too, especially now as the light nights have reduced and this confuses him even further.

We use widgets a visual communication software package that lets you use templates and structure timetables, there easy to use and J will now make his own, especially shopping lists ect...

With J he needs a start a middle and a end, so even when its nearing the time when he is starting school, he needs to be told and warned as its still another disruption to a routine he has begun to get use to.

When we put down the christmas decorations we tell him first.

When J is home we put on the calander what activities and recreational things he has to do, you could use visual pictures or text.

Is he receiving any support for when he is at home, sessional work, respite, recreational activities, projects that support special needs children?

JsMumxxxx

Hi thanks for all your suggestions unfortunately, visual timetables haven't worked for Glen so I wouldn't be able to try that. He has been outside on the swing in the garden for a while, thankfully the weather is a bit better today so he could get outside. Glen is always much better with physical activities he is like a different child. Just hope the rest of the week isn't too bad otherwise I shall be totally stressed out come Christmas Day!

Going on from another thread that was put up, I've had this problem forever (that's how it feels)! My 15 going on 16yr old son Glen who is severely autistic doesn't like School but does need routine, so even though he prefers being at home in the school holidays he still keeps on daily about 'big school tomorrow' even though I try to explain that its the holidays now. Yesterday was particularly bad Glen continually repeated his home/school tomorrow all day. I think he just needs constant re-assurance that it is 'home' as opposed to school. I will be so glad when January comes! Any suggestions would be gratefully received regarding trying to stop Glen continually repeating himself before I go insane!

Having something planned to do instead "tomorrow we are going to wrap presents" or "tomorrow we are going to play with train track". i think he needs to know what is happening instead of school.

Alexis

Edited by trekster

Maybe he is saying it because he likes the phrase and its become a habit ? Or he's trying to process that there is no school, trying to get his head round that , it will take a while to sink in and then he wont be able to believe his luck! I always found this with my son. By the time school was about to start up again, he'd eventually got used to no school and was in a pleasant mood, for it all to go and be spoilt again!

Edited by lisac