lisad123

W sitting

Just wondered how many of our children do/did this? DD1 has an dx of ASD but DD2 shows some signs aswell.She is terrible for sitting like this but im unclear if its another asd trait.

TIA

All of my children sit like this the two boys are ASD and the girl isn,t . The ed psychologist noted in her assessment of Piers that both of my twins are unaturally flexible, they can both W sit and lean forward so their body is parallel with and touching the floor they both say this position is comfortable. Marcus has very flexible joints also. As a child i could wrap both of my legs around my neck at the same time and i have a cousin who is very double jointed. I think is related to ASD but for us could be hereditory as well.

My DS (AS) is hypoextensive - that means none of his joints flex as much as "normal" people. My DD1 (NT) is slightly hyperextensive (her knees & hips bend over-much) and so is my niece - enough to be under an OT.

Don't think it is anything to do with ASD - just the luck of the draw & a bit of genetic liklihood.....

DS has exercises to to try to loosen his muscles, but he won't do them:( - that probably is to do with his AS & sensory/pain issues

Hello

If you mean "sitting with the legs bent out at right angles" then yes i used to sit like this.

For some reason cross legged sitting is painful. i think it is to do with symmetry and where is

the 'right' place to put our legs. i am still unable to sit on the floor but then again i now have

fibromyaglia as a complication.

Alexis

Hyper-mobility syndrome or EDS seems to be popping up in a number of autistic families.

Im wondering if there is a connection?

Alexis

Hello

If you mean "sitting with the legs bent out at right angles" then yes i used to sit like this.

For some reason cross legged sitting is painful. i think it is to do with symmetry and where is

the 'right' place to put our legs. i am still unable to sit on the floor but then again i now have

fibromyaglia as a complication.

Alexis

My three year old sits like this but he does it at the dinner table too.He wants to sit straight but I can see him getting uncomfortable and tell him to sit the way he likes.He also stands up alot,does'nt sit to often,I would say 70% of the time he is standing:watching TV eating you name it,10% he sits and 20% that would be when he eventually sleeps at 11pm!(Don't know if he is on the spectrum yet though!)

.....also Sam is double jointed.When he was 18months he could do "forward rolls" or "tumbles" (dont know the word) he could also put his legs behind his neck by the time he was 2 and would then shuffle on his bottom,thought its "normal" at the time,he loved doing it!Also his dad is West African and its known that they are prone to being double jointed (two of my brother-in laws are) there are many West african contorsionists(excuse the spelling) who perform in the UK.