JsMum

ITV 7:30PM Tonight Progamme.

Just letting anyone who may be interested, it is about parent of a disabled child who has recieved abuse and assault from her neighbourhood.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/tonight/wk0...et/default.html

JsMumxx

Hi JsMum

This was heartbreaking and infuriating, wasn't it?

Hi

It was very uncomfortable viewing.As these people have so many other pressures to deal with I think its disguisting they are made to feel this way.While I was watching I just kept thinking what goes through a young persons mind to go through a brick through someones window?And where are the parents when all this is going on?I know people work and some parents are unaware of how their children behave,but I still think people should take more responsibility.

When we walk to school,I always tell my boys not to walk too close to cars in case they get scratched accidentely,it seems like a small thing but they need to show respect for other peoples property.I have noticed another child always touches the cars and when there has been frost the child makes hand prints and even writes on the windows,not just one car nearly 10!!!!So how can the mum not notice?Does she think its funny????

Another thing is its seems the police are just not doing enough.I really think the government need to wake up and see these ASBO's and community service orders are not working.Tougher sentincing is the only way forward.I think young people who go to jail/young offenders may be better off staying in there until they achieve something positive such as GCSE's or A levels.By getting people into the prisons and encouraging young people to reach their full potential.Yes,this would be "boring" in ther eyes and maybe what their parents have been trying to achieve but unlike at home there is nowhere to run,nowhere to hide in prison so they have to face the realitys.

Why is it that the government seems to tip toe around such people?Why are we left feeling guilty when repremanding "naughty" kids???It never used to be this way and communitys were better because of it.Police are so scared of being harmed(thought thats there job?) or sued.Its absolutley ridiculous.

I left South Africa in 2002,it has become a lawless country,its rare to even see a police officer and when you do they seem to be off duty,drinking.partying etc. cant be bothered to help the community.I came here thinking its a safer place to raisemy children and as a general rule it is.I know this is a first world country but it seems every year since I arrived things are getting worse.Just look at the towns,youths spit and swear talk loadly and push past people,and this is during the daytime,not to mention night time antics.Yes,I was young (in fact I am only 27)and yes I was "naughty" teen but I would never throw a rock at a car or in someones window or spray paint someones door!!!!!

I have four boys and I tell them if you do wrong you go to prison,I dont know how I will be in that situation but I pray that I will shop my child to the police if they did wrong cause thats the responsible thing to do.My eldest is nine and we live on a safe estate often he asks to go to a park etc. I always say "no" I will go with,I do trust him but you never know what kids are capable of.I do let them go to the park which I can see from my sitting room as soon as I dont see them I am outside in a flash.

Anyway...these are just my thoughts.

Edited by justine1

Hit the parents where it hurts. Fine them.

If the parents were fined for their children's criminal damage. Made to pay courts costs, repairs to damaged house/vehicles and compensation for putting a family through emotional turmoil, we might see a decrease. If the parents are on benefits then they should have deuctions made from the benefit. Not a measly £5 per week but a bigger reduction bringing them down to the "hardship allowance" level . In other words, that amounts to receiving only 2/3 of their benefit.

Eviction could be another option for those in rented property, but that will only pass the problem on elsewhere. I notice that the first case they showed, the people owned their own homes. The abuser was a BT engineer. Just think, this foul mouthed man, is deemed fit to work in the community, entering the homes of people, some being vulnerable, to repair their telephone lines. I think BT should dismiss him. I hope his colleagues shamed him when he went back to work, after this was shown.

Prison/young persons penal institution for the young oiks, might have the desired effect, as a rigorous, strict schedule might even give them a sense of security.