mygifts1306

Does you child do this

My son who is soon going to be 7 has got aspergers, he lies about in the living room, he will not sit on the sofa, or just sit on his bottom. Is this a particular thing with aspergers or is there anything else i can do to encourage him to not do this. when people are visiting he takes up all the living room space, and i am fed up trying to explain to people about him because i dont think they believe me, they just think i am not strict, any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Does you child hum or whistle all the time? HE has being dx with aspergers, but i think perhaps they could be a little bit of adhd and dyspraxia

It could be difficulties with spacial awareness and the living room floor he has more space, it maybe that he feels closed it, restrained when on the settee, or that he catches his limbs on the furniture and gets hurt more, it could be related to dyspraxia too, rolling on the floor he may feel more confident where his body is in than in relation to his enviroment.

We have weighted blankets for J and there brilliant, really calms him down, some children however can become really distressed with these, so its an individual needs basis.

My son does a lot of noises when he is concentrating, or needs to self stimulate, ADHD crave Stimulation all the time, due to parts of the brain laying dormant and inactive, once the brain is stimulated though and they have hyper/hypo sensitivity it causes great distress, the brain only stays stimulated for a very short time, and often with ADHD they have memory impairments and so the stimulation is repeated often.

I love having this picture though of this kids scerming around a great big living room, I wished I could do that it sounds liberating.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Hi mygifts

Have you tried him with a bean bag? My eldest used to love them. That would at least give him a specific place to sit/lay that is his own.

My youngest always used to lay on the sofa, I don't know but I suspect he didn't want anyone sitting next to him, and he obviously cannot cope with strangers sitting next to him in the cinema etc (I think this played a part with him not coping with school as well). At about age 11/12 he began sitting up more and he rarely lays down on the sofa now, and is OK if I sit next to him altho he would rather I didn't.

Good luck!

Thank you very much JSMUM and MANDAPANDA. I really appreciate you taking the time. My son does not like blankets at all. We are waiting to hear about his dyspraxia, but its not fair for kids to have a lot wrong with them is it. I will look into the option of getting a bean bag, does any1 know where i can get one reasonably.

Thank you very much for your replies

I recall lying on the floor with a cushion for my head a lot whilst watching TV - not sure why it was just something I did.

Also something "strange" that I would do is take my quilt from the bed in the middle of the night and lie on the floor of the landing. I was never sure why I did this, I always thought that it may be something to do with my back problem but that didn't start till I was 13 or 14 by which time I had stopped doing this.

I figure if it's something he's comfortable with and it doesn't cause any major problems then just let him roll with it :) If people don't understand then that's their problem. At the end of the day he's a kid, kids do these things.

my asd son of 10 has always made a humming yum, :eat1: sound when he is eating,particulary if he is so enjoying the taste. he does sit happily for a while on a seat, he does love to cuddle up sometimes,but when he gets stir crazy,like over this winter he gets bouncy :bounce:

My son who is soon going to be 7 has got aspergers, he lies about in the living room, he will not sit on the sofa, or just sit on his bottom. Is this a particular thing with aspergers or is there anything else i can do to encourage him to not do this. when people are visiting he takes up all the living room space, and i am fed up trying to explain to people about him because i dont think they believe me, they just think i am not strict, any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Does you child hum or whistle all the time? HE has being dx with aspergers, but i think perhaps they could be a little bit of adhd and dyspraxia

im unable to sit up properly at the dinner table (hence finding it physically and mentally uncomfortable) due to my stomach muscles being undeveloped.

If your son was unable to play on his front as a kid this could be a possible reason.

i find it more comfortable to lie down than to sit up on the sofa. My bum becomes numb and sore due to sitting down on it so much.

Would putting something soft on the sofa so he can sit on enable him to sit on the sofa?

When you ask him "why dont you sit up straight on the sofa?" what is his answer.

Alexis

When you ask him "why dont you sit up straight on the sofa?" what is his answer.

Alexis

When I ask him he does not say, he just tries to sit them he is up again or lying down, So i really dont know, perhaps its worth asking his gp, he does not seem to understand the idea of personal space at all, even in his class he has a bigger table to give him more elbow space. Its a shame. Thank you for your reply.

Alexis

When I ask him he does not say, he just tries to sit them he is up again or lying down, So i really dont know, perhaps its worth asking his gp, he does not seem to understand the idea of personal space at all, even in his class he has a bigger table to give him more elbow space. Its a shame. Thank you for your reply.

Definitely sounds like a spacial awareness thing, or even a claustrophobic thing. Strange thing is i thought weighted blankets were tolerated and improved spacial awareness?

Alexis

My Dd3 doesn't sit anywhere, she sprawls, squirms, rocks, fidgets and generally moves all the time at home, she also makes noise all the time humming, singing, chatting even when no one is listening and yet at school they tell me that she sits still and quietly at the right times. I find this astonishing but there you go. She is usless with dining chairs, usually dangling over the side and now that her feet reach the floor she has the chair balanced on two legs. This said she is very coordinated and rarely falls off the chair.

She wears me out just watching her. She seems to move more when she is concentrating. I have no idea if any of this is asd related as we are only in the assessment phase at the moment. B)

Since Louis was diagnosed at the age of 5 years old (he is now 9) he has had a bean bag in the living room, i dont know why but he sits on it all the time right up close to the tv and has so far worn out 6 bags due to the little balls inside getting squashed to death bless him, so i would say a bean bag is defo worth looking into.

Jayne x