Sign in to follow this  
babnye1

SA or SA plus

School Action means the child has been identified as having additional needs that can be met with usual school resources.

School Action Plus means the additional needs require further input from an agency outside of school, which could be Autism Outreach, SALT or other professional.

Karen

x

School Action means the child has been identified as having additional needs that can be met with usual school resources.

School Action Plus means the additional needs require further input from an agency outside of school, which could be Autism Outreach, SALT or other professional.

Karen

x

Thanks. My son is seeing OT and having support from CAMHS while on the waiting list for assessment for ASD. He is, however, on SA not SA Plus and I just wondered whether he would be entitled to additional support if he was on SA Plus. The Community Paed mentioned 5 hours.

Thanks. My son is seeing OT and having support from CAMHS while on the waiting list for assessment for ASD. He is, however, on SA not SA Plus and I just wondered whether he would be entitled to additional support if he was on SA Plus. The Community Paed mentioned 5 hours.

I think it depends on the county in which you live.My son has been on Action Plus for a year now and he has just been dx with Aspergers but he receives no help at all!!!It is worth asking the Senco though.

How long is a piece of string?

I think they just make up these numbers, tbh, and I'm not sure he's 'entitled to anything'. The only way you can guarantee input is by a statement, and that's often very patchy.

My son was on SA+ for four years (two of them with dx) and didn't get any additional input apart from a handful of highly ineffective social skills classes. It very much depends on the school - sometimes they just take the additional budget for SA+ but don't do what they're supposed to with it. The voice of experience, I'm afraid :(

Karen

x

SA+ just indicates that the school needs advice from outside professionals in order to help your child (as per the SEN Code of Practice). Any link to resources would be a school or LA level decision. Technically a child should get the resources they need whether they are SA or SA+.

Can you ask for assessments towards a Statement on SA, or do you have to wait to progress to SA+?

If you think your child has needs that should be itemised and targeted via an individual education plan, can you ask the school to progress the child to SA+?

It sounds to me like this child has needs that are not being identified and are not being met. Obviously a diagnosis would help with that. But I wondered if a parent can request the school to progress or SA+, or at least ask the school to explain their position.

(The CoP is definately worth reading because it states what should happen at each level eg. at SA and at SA+ and that would help you with any letter you wrote to the school or LEA SEN department).