Suze

we've seen it.

Its a nice film, great visual effects, reasonable characterisation, seriously flawed plot/not well thought out........

worth watching, but not worth paying a fortune for LOL

My AS son didn't understand ANY of it - it's all about empathy with different ideas :whistle:

Saw the 2D version a few weeks ago with my Asperger's Son (12) who loved it, we are going back to see the 3D version tonight!

It's true that the plot has a few holes in it, but if you like your all-action special effects movies then this is as good as it gets.

As a rough guide, if you enjoyed Independence Day the definitely go, if you found the ridiculous plot in independence day annoying then you might want to give it a miss.

Simon

I think your avatar is brilliant! But then I'm biased! :lol:

(I liked that other one you had briefly too, with the lady in the raincoat, but ho hum :whistle: )

As for the film: I did want to take ben but decided agin it when I saw how long it was! :o:o

Not sure I could sit still for that and I'm bl00dy sure the wee fella couldn't!

I've gotta say too I think that 'block-buster special effects' can get a bit wearing, especially in over long films and/or where used to patch up iffy scripts....

We're gonna wait until it comes out on DVD, but if you do go - ENJOY...

Oh, on films generally: ben last night said he might like to watch Slumdog Millionaire, so watched half of it on C4 last night before sleep caught up on him... but he has asked me to rent it so he could watch the end. I can't tell you how chuffed I was, 'cos you're dealing there with a level of emotional interplay that would have gone straight over his head a year or so ago and bored him to tears. Not saying he fully 'gets it' - but one hell of a step in the right direction. AND he sat and watched a whole documentary about Brian Eno Friday night! :thumbs::thumbs:

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

I think your avatar is brilliant! But then I'm biased! :lol:

(I liked that other one you had briefly too, with the lady in the raincoat, but ho hum :whistle: )

As for the film: I did want to take ben but decided agin it when I saw how long it was! :o:o

Not sure I could sit still for that and I'm bl00dy sure the wee fella couldn't!

I've gotta say too I think that 'block-buster special effects' can get a bit wearing, especially in over long films and/or where used to patch up iffy scripts....

We're gonna wait until it comes out on DVD, but if you do go - ENJOY...

Oh, on films generally: ben last night said he might like to watch Slumdog Millionaire, so watched half of it on C4 last night before sleep caught up on him... but he has asked me to rent it so he could watch the end. I can't tell you how chuffed I was, 'cos you're dealing there with a level of emotional interplay that would have gone straight over his head a year or so ago and bored him to tears. Not saying he fully 'gets it' - but one hell of a step in the right direction. AND he sat and watched a whole documentary about Brian Eno Friday night! :thumbs::thumbs:

L&P

BD :D

I was worried about the length of time too. Both father and son have famously short attention spans, but the time passed very quickly and there is too much happening to get bored.

Simon

We took our 16 year old aspie son to see it and it was brillaint........he loved it....so di we.

We went on a wednesday so you can get two for 1 on orange wednesdays with a tex saves you money.....didt see it in 3d though............will be defo getting it on dvd to watch over and over againe.

i thought it was great. as to the length, i normally get up and walk outside part-way through a standard film. i didn't move once during avatar, and only 2 other people in the room got up! i'm thinking of going back tomorrow to watch it again possibly in 3D, but i'm not too sure as i dont like things flying out at me

My son and daughter have both seen it twice and now they want to see it at the IMAX. Can't say it's top of my list.

K x

Saw the 3D version last night and it's stunning.

All the trailers before the film were 3D too and good fun, so it's worth turning up in time to see them.

Simon

Seen it twice in 3D. If you're gonna see it make sure you watch it in 3D, it is absolutely amazing - it's the only film been shot fully in 3D. They had to invent new cameras for it!

I thought the plot was good. It's not entirely original but then I'm easily pleased. I didn't think it was hard to understand, thought it was quite obvious. The vehicles are awesome, especially the mechs/power-suits! :)

i saw it in 3d today, and was very impressed, not least that they completely resisted the urge to have shrapnel flying out at my head during the fights! it was so much better in 3D, made you really notice the graphics

Hi

Can anyone answer the following:

I have a problem with the vision in my right eye. Will the 3D version still be watchable to me? I know it's a new system so I'm hoping it will be watchable even if not in a 3D effect for me, as the rest of the family will probably enjoy it.

Hi

I have a problem with the vision in my right eye. Will the 3D version still be watchable to me? I know it's a new system so I'm hoping it will be watchable even if not in a 3D effect for me, as the rest of the family will probably enjoy it.

It will be watchable without 3d glasses in the sense that you will still be able to see what is going on, but you will find the pictures a bit fuzzy. I suspect the glasses will help even if they don't give you the 3D effect.

Simon

Well, you should probably try it out, you might be ok - depends how bad your vision is in your right eye.

The way the 3D effect works is the lenses in the glasses turn on and off very quickly, and the effect alternates between the lenses. Therefore it blocks out vision in your left eye, then your right, then your left and so on and a very rapid speed. This tricks your brain in to thinking the images are 3D. Therefore if you can't see out of one eye my guess would be that you wouldn't see the 3D effect but I don't know that for certain.

If you don't use the 3D glasses you will see the image with a copy of the image slightly off centre of the other image. I'm sure you'd find this quite annoying, and therefore would be better off seeing in 2D. But as I said, might be worth trying once just to see whether or not it works for you.

Hi

Go into a book shop and try out a kids 3D book to see if you can see the effect or not.

~ Mel ~

i dont know if this is universal but the glasses for 3D at our cinema are completely different to the traditional red/blue lens ones you used to get.

i think they should be fine if you can see out of the eye a little. i have one bad eye and one good eye, have to sit on a particular side of the cinema or i go cross-eyed trying to focus and can't see properly. i'm currently on a significantly reduced lens prescription too, cos they couldnt get the angles right so gave up and resorted to the last good lens i had used. everything is fuzzy to me all the time! i didn't have any problems with the glasses (except getting them to stay up in the right place over my regular glasses) i also spent some time during the film watching without the glasses, and it wasn't too bad, although i think it would be a waste of the film to watch it that way, with everything in the background very blurry. you can generally see the main focus just fine without the glasses though.

Hi all

Thanks for the helpful advice about the glasses and 3D thing. I would happily give it a go, but my youngest is very anxious about going as he is worried he will find the glasses uncomfortable or something and then won't be able to enjoy the film and will be bored. So we may split up and dad & Mj go see 3D and me and Aw go see 2D. Aw has a problem with that as the 2D version is only on at our local Odeon which he says is not as good picture quality as Vue (he obviously has very high standards as we don't see any difference! :unsure: ). Also Mj wants us to do things like this together as a family :wub: . Isn't life complicated sometimes!

you could go to the cinema in advance and pick up a pair of the glasses for your son to try. our cinema (cineworld) makes you buy them seperately from the ticket to encourage you to keep them and reuse them so i'm sure they'd let you just get a pair of glasses if you explained. i have about 5 pairs now where i kept forgetting to pack a pair :rolleyes: i also keep having to wrestle them back of K who thinks theyre sunglasses and to be played with

Hi all

Thanks for the helpful advice about the glasses and 3D thing. I would happily give it a go, but my youngest is very anxious about going as he is worried he will find the glasses uncomfortable or something and then won't be able to enjoy the film and will be bored. So we may split up and dad & Mj go see 3D and me and Aw go see 2D. Aw has a problem with that as the 2D version is only on at our local Odeon which he says is not as good picture quality as Vue (he obviously has very high standards as we don't see any difference! :unsure: ). Also Mj wants us to do things like this together as a family :wub: . Isn't life complicated sometimes!

Hi guys

Well, 3 of us went and saw Avatar 3D - wow, one of my top 2 films ever! I didn't really get the 3D effect (except very occasionally in the periphery of my vision), but it was still a beautiful film visually. It was too blurred to watch without the glasses, but with the glasses it was like watching a normal film to me. It was beautiful, sad, inspiring, imaginative, and I wanted to watch it again straight away! Aw is now considering seeing it 2D (to be fair the glasses are enormous on him), hope he decides quick as its nearly ending its run.

Aw is now considering seeing it 2D (to be fair the glasses are enormous on him), hope he decides quick as its nearly ending its run.

Yay, Aw has summoned up all his braveness and has now said he will try the 3D version. We're going Friday. Hearing us raving about it helped, and also seeing stuff about 3D on the Gadget Show - I think he realises that if 3D is the way it's going, he better at least try it now. I can't wait!

Yay, Aw has summoned up all his braveness and has now said he will try the 3D version. We're going Friday. Hearing us raving about it helped, and also seeing stuff about 3D on the Gadget Show - I think he realises that if 3D is the way it's going, he better at least try it now. I can't wait!

Well - we did go and see Avatar and he sat through it all. I saw him fidgeting with the glasses and rubbing his eyes a bit but he didn't say anything at the time. I saw him laughing at some bits. I really enjoyed it, perhaps even more, 2nd time around!

However - on the way home in the car he seemed to get more and more in a mood. He said the 3D wasn't very good, just some things looked nearer than others. I said they probably can't do 'real' 3D, and he said, very grumpily, that they shouldn't even try then. When we got home he just sat on the sofa for a while in a mood. We have learned over time that it's best not to react to this and he was OK later. He wasn't cross with us, I think he just felt 'let down' that the 3D wasn't how he may have imagined it. This often puts him off things, he knows he'll get excited and really look forward to things and they can then be a let down, so he has often not wanted to do things because of this. It's a shame :tearful:

Also we think his sensory issues caused problems as he hated the feeling of the glasses and he said they 'dulled' the picture.

He did say it was a good film, but he wished he'd watched it in 2D without the glasses.

Brilliant, but I got a really numb bum

Yes, it is a long film! Luckily in our cinema it was in one of the biggest screens and the chairs were more comfortable and not the fold up type.