Sign in to follow this  
tjw

statements

hi

just a quick question, we are just starting up the process for a statement for george at school, my question is we live in yorkshire and are moving to the isle of wight hopefully sometime later in the year would the statement carrie over they are would you have to do the whole thing again.

thanks for any advise you have on this.

theresa x

Hi.

I have to confess my dreadful lack of knowledge.I was not sure whether the Isle Of White was a seperate island or came under English COP. :whistle::whistle:

Apparently it does and I found that they have a very good website with good local information on parent partnership and Statements.

It is under ''Eduwhight'' on the web.

If you look around the web site they also produce a booklet ''The Island Approach'' that outlines what is available for pupils with SEN and looks very useful.

Edited by Karen A

I wasgoing to post the same question :thumbs: We plan to moveto another county in August.It is likely Samwould have just received the statement as we leave.Is he able to use it in the new county?Also how many hours need to be on the statement for a special school to accept you?Thanks,sorry I hijacked the post! :whistle:

hi karen

thanks for that i will look at the site you have given me, i have emailed the nas over on the island but not heard back from them as yet, just trying to get all the info i can at the moment. hi justine you not hijacking we are just going through the same things at the moment and what better place to get advise so welcome and all replys for both of us are greatly received, what county are you going to is it abroad.

thanks

theresa :thumbs:

hi karen

thanks for that i will look at the site you have given me, i have emailed the nas over on the island but not heard back from them as yet, just trying to get all the info i can at the moment. hi justine you not hijacking we are just going through the same things at the moment and what better place to get advise so welcome and all replys for both of us are greatly received, what county are you going to is it abroad.

thanks

theresa :thumbs:

Thank you tjw >:D<<'> I am going from Bedfordshire to Buckinghamshire,actually its only 15min drive away!I envy you going off to Isle of Whight,been on holiday there twice so much to do!I dont really want to move but with Sams behaviour getting worse at school,I hope to get him to a special school and the one I like is in the same location as my Uni,so makes sense to move as I dont drive.Thanks again.

We use to live on the Isle of Wight.

Nice for holidays.(for young children and OAP.)

Now I don't want to put a downer on things but lets just say that education is not one of the things they are best know for.

They are or have just completed reorganising the school from 3 tier, (Middle school system) to 2 tier. A lot of people were dreading the change, others said it would improve things. The reason behind it was that it would mean a lot of government money going in which would otherwise not.(Also try to do something to raise standards?)

The NAS had not ventured as far as the IOW when we lived there, I think it is run from someone kitchen table,(Nothing wrong with that) just expect limitations.

If the statement is complete the new school (LA) will (should) honer it as it stands but review it very soon after joining school, this is it to bring it into line with the LA approach to SENs etc.

If it is not finalised when you move, it will probably mean starting again but the LA SENs panel should accept all reports etc that have previously been done.

I would suggest that you make copies of everything (And I mean everything) you have and and give it to the new school. The recorder etc are sent from old school but this cane take some time.

It is up to you to find a school and approach them, I'm assuming you child, is of school age, see if they have a place and take it from there. Special school places are in very sort supply there.

What you may find is that things are done differently there to what you are use to. I know every LA does things differently its just that there they seem to be a lot more different.

I cannot advise you about schools as they are now, as I said its all changed since we where there.

Hope you like your new life on the IOW.

And for anyone who wants to know it is part the England, separated by a very short sea crossing, the Solent, which costs an arm and a leg to cross. It is said by some to be the most expensive sea crossing, mile for mile, anywhere in the world.

Edited by chris54

The statement does transfer, but as all LA's have different arrangements for SEN funding, the new LA has the right to review, reassess and amend the statement if they think it necessary.

See the paragraphs below from the Code of Practice:

8:113 When the responsibility for a child with special educational needs changes from the LEA

maintaining the statement (the old authority) to another LEA (the new authority), the old

authority must transfer the statement to the new authority. They may also transfer any

opinion they have received under the Disabled Persons (Services, Consultation and

Representation) Act 1986 that the child is disabled. Upon the transfer of the statement,

the new authority becomes responsible for maintaining the statement and for providing

the special educational provision specified in the statement.

8:114 The duty to maintain the child at the school specified in Part 4 of the statement therefore

also transfers to the new authority. The new authority may place the child temporarily at a

school other than that specified in Part 4 where appropriate and sensible to do so – for

example, where the distance between the child’s new home and the school would be too

great – prior to the statement being amended in accordance with the statutory

procedures. Otherwise, the new LEA may not decline to pay the fees or otherwise

maintain the child at an independent or non-maintained special school or a boarding

school named in a statement unless and until they have formally amended the statement.

8:115 The new authority may, on the transfer of the statement, bring forward the arrangements

for the review of the statement, and may conduct a new assessment regardless of when

the previous assessment took place. The new authority must tell the parents, within six

weeks of the date of transfer, when they will review the statement and whether they

propose to make an assessment under section 323. The old authority and the child’s

school should alert parents to the educational implications of their proposed move

and both the old authority and the new authority should be ready to discuss those

implications with parents. Where a child with a statement moves to Northern Ireland or

Scotland, the LEA should send a copy of the child’s statement to the new authority or

board and where a child moves to Wales, the statement must be transferred.