Sign in to follow this  
sonj186

proposed changes to sen in lincolnshire

Hi all, i recieved a letter from parent partnership on sat inviting me to a meeting to discuss changes to statement funding in lincs, i have heard a roumor that ther are going to do away with some statementing bands. unfortunatly im not sure if im going to get to any of the meetings as its quite short notice! i was just wondering if anyone else had recieved the same letter or if anyone could shed some light on what they are up to!

sonj

Yes, I have received the same letter.

No, I dont have any definite information about what the proposed changes to SEN funding are.

I am also doubtful if I will be able to get to any of the meetings.

P.S. I have just emailed the council to see what they have to say about this.

Edited by chris54

It seems as though they are trying to do away with statements as such and give the schools a pot of money for them to allocate as they see fit. I'm assuming there will still be some sort of assessment process but who does what and who decides or is in control still doesn't seem clear.

I can't make the meetings either. Call me cynical but why such short notice and why so few meetings that very few people will be able to attend.....................HHHHMMMMMMMM

I can't make the meetings either. Call me cynical but why such short notice and why so few meetings that very few people will be able to attend.....................HHHHMMMMMMMM

Councils always do this. They give short notice (or hold it after school hours), so it is almost impossible for us to organise childcare, etc to get there. Few people turn, up so they tick their "consultation" box, and say people must be OK with it as not many people came to dispute it.

im going to the one in louth on thursday afternoon, ive had to take time off work as like many of you's i cant go in the evening! to be honest i think they have made their minds up already about the changes! if it does go ahead cams school will deffo suffer cuts as they have a higher ratio of sen than free school meals (apparently that is how they are going to make the funding decisions)

sonj

Ah, good old delegated funding. :rolleyes: My county (Herts) moved to this system about three years ago. Schools are supposed to be able to provide for all "high incidence" needs from their own budget adnd can apply for top up "exceptional needs" funding for particular children, in a process which is almost as lengthy and bureaucratic as statementing but without the accompanying legal safeguards. It will be interesting to hear what Lincolnshire are proposing.

It's important to keep in mind whatever system Lincolnshire adopts, the law on assessment and statementing remains the same. The LA still have a duty to assess and statement all children whose individual needs require it.

K x

hi i went to the lincoln meeting tonight - never seen so many angry parents! im going tothe louth one too tomorrow cos i couldnt get a word in edgeways tonight! the school forum has passed it by 1 vote so its looking regardless of what parents say its coming! i will look out for sonja tomorrow - we might get to meet at last!!!!! there was about 200 parents there tonight!

Well the louth meeting was a waste of time! they prattled on and on about things that didnt matter and when asked questions many of them couldnt be answered or they turned them around to something else! apparently it has been passed 8 votes for and 7 against by the schools representive board (probably not the right name but i cant remember it). im going to have to practise public speaking because im totally pants at it! i did ask a few questions but shock horror they couldnt give any direct answers! oh well we will just have to see what happens next!

the LPCC have drafted a letter which its asking all the parents to send to the secretary of state as he has to agree to it - i can froward a copy to you. i did work out which one was you at the meeting - i was at the back and asked the question about service families - they left more questions unaswered tahn answered