Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Immune System + teenager

Hi, could anyone advice me please which supplement is best for a nearly 16 yr old whos immune system seems very low. My son Glen is now ill for the 3rd time this year, (2 colds and now sickness & diarrhea, he was normally very healthy and rarely ill until recently. I am trying various vitamins and metatone tonic, but I really don't know what is best for my son.

He could be aneamic maybe? How's his iron intake? Low iron is fairly common in teenagers.

Vit C is good for colds, but if you are concerned about his general health it is definitely worth going to the doc's and getting some tests done.

Yes he could be anemic. I guess I will have to go to the doctors not something I want to do as I don't have any faith in them to be honest after having trouble getting a doctor to come out to Glen when he was ill. He is also aggressive again today. He's hardly been to School at all this year so far.

How is he with blood tests? If he isnt going to oblige, a visit to the gp is generally a waste of time . Youre probably just having a run of bad luck, hope he feels better soon, x

Hi Lisa, Glen hasn't had a blood test in a long time. I don't think he would oblige somehow no! He probably does need a blood test but with he's aggression like I said I don't think it will happen.

Is he gluten and dairy free? That messed up my immune system, also taking strawberries were bad for my immunities.

Hi, no Glen isn't gluten and dairy free. This was tried in the past but was found not to make any difference.

Instead of giveing vitamin supplements why not try if you havent already upping the fresh fruit and veg intake in his diet.If hes anything like my son who is also 16 i realise this may be harder to do than it sounds but my son loves fruite smoothies and its a way of getting all sorts of different fruits into them........i also whizz up bannas in milk to make a milk shake and hell drink that.

From my own personal experiance ...............i suffer from aneamia.........this can make you realy suseptible to illness ........my iron count was that low they thought id have to have a transfusion im ok now but on realy high dosgae of iron.I also take perfectil tablets they promote haire skin and nails but containe alsorts of vitamins i feel a lot better on them you take 1 a day and i also take high dosage vitamin c and zinc every day............i do notice a difference in my general health and ability to fight of illnes and recover when i stop takeing the supplements............perfectil is available at boots quiete expensive as far as vitamins go but normally available on 3 for 2 and its the best supplement ive ever taken.

you can give your son vitamin C that is branded, you can also add fruits and vegetables to his meal and

drink plenty of water, distilled drinking water(wilkins) is the best one than purified drinking water.