Sign in to follow this  
Feather

son wants a moped

My ASD son will be 16 soon, and wants a moped like his other friends. We want him to be as independant as possible, and he is going to college in September. We are worried that he is not mature enough or responsible at the moment, and would rather he waited until he is old enough to drive, and have a car. Has anyone else had experience of this and could give some advice?

I used to ride a moped and you have to be VERY aware. They are great for overtaking streams of traffic, but some drivers will pull out in your way to prevent you from overtaking, or not look over their shoulder when turning right. Car drivers approaching you from the other direction will not dip their headlights for a moped, and you will be dazzled.

If you hit the ground at 30mph, you will graze the skin down to the bone.

Two wheels on ice is suicide, he will need to use other transport on icy mornings.

You have to really pay attention to what car drivers are doing, or might possibly do. You must always assume people have not seen you, and are out to get you even if they have. You must make yourself as visible as possible, display headlights, wear a brightly coloured helmet and fluorescent vest at all times. A biking jacket and gloves are really important, even in hot, sunny weather, to protect your skin if you fall off.

Riding a moped can be really enjoyable, and is a great way to give him independence. They are fantastically cheap to run. If your son has a well-developed road sense from using the road as a cyclist, he should be well aware of the dangers and how to deal with them. He will have to undertake Compulsory Basic Training which would identify any difficulties and give him the opportunity to work on them.

im not sure i would want any of my children on a moped with or without ASD. i use to have 1 when i was that age they are unsafe and easily missed by cars. But im sure it will be really difficult to explain your reasons to your son as they always have answers.

people dont last long on the roads on motor bikes, push bikes. Footballers not allowed to ride them entirely for that reason.

people dont last long on the roads on motor bikes, push bikes. Footballers not allowed to ride them entirely for that reason.

I' rode a bike every single day since the day of my 16th birthday through to 27 years old, then on and off to the present. That's 21 years now! Have commuted round London, Glasgow and accross country lanes for many years. Never had a crash. They are only as dangerous as the person who rides them allows.

Admittedly, I assume everyone else on the road is a insane, blind homicidal maniac out to get me personally, but still...... 1 year on a moped is a great introduction to a "real" motorbike if he is intending to go onto that at 17. At least a moped is restricted to 30mph, and not allowed on motorways etc.

It does depend on his ability to understadn road safety, and his own vulnerability. My son would be fine as he wouold follow the rules explicitly.

I agree with Kez T. I've riden a moped for years. No problems. However you do need to predict and anticipate what every other motorist is going to do. I don't have to use that level of concentration in a car because you are generally in a line unless you overtake. A bike can cut through traffic, but also has to consider what other drivers will do and whether they have seen the motorbike.

If you refuse, then fair enough and stick to it. Or if you agree to him having a scooter you could do that on the provision that he takes motorbike lessons.

If, due to his diagnosis, you think he may have additional difficulties in paying attention and being aware of other drivers, then he could be at more danger than your average teenager on a moped, not necessarily because of him, but because most accidents involve another driver - and that other driver is usually in a car.

I did have one accident in about three years of moped-riding. FOrtunately it was at low speed and I got off with cuts, bruises and damaged clothes. I have to admit it was entirely my fault as I was very tired and the road was icy. It could have been prevented if I'd had the sense not to ride it that day.

Thanks all for your help and advice, he hasn't mentioned for a few days, so hopefully he might have gone off the idea now. He might think about a car instead when he is a bit older. xx

Hi

I know that there are various proficiency type courses. I wonder if it might be worthwhile laying down some ground rules - in order to get a moped he has to undergo the course?

Caroline.

My ASD son will be 16 soon, and wants a moped like his other friends. We want him to be as independant as possible, and he is going to college in September. We are worried that he is not mature enough or responsible at the moment, and would rather he waited until he is old enough to drive, and have a car. Has anyone else had experience of this and could give some advice?

Hi Feather,

I think these days I would probably recommend gewtting a car license first if I am honest. Having said that I have been riding and building motorbikes since I was 9 years old and I used to do motocross as well. I must admit to a few bike related broken bones over the years. There are a lot of plus sides to riding a bike or a moped. They are VERY cheap to run, which these days is a serious consideration, especially for a student. They are very cheap to maintain and repair. If you live in a built up area, it is generally a quicker way of getting from a to be than a car and it is a lot more fun.

Unfotunately to ride safely on the roads today you have to assume that every car driver basically got into their car that morning with the intention of hunting you down and squishing you. If your son assumes that I am sure he will be fine. I assume your son rides a push bike, and while not the same thing, if he shows good road sense on that, it isn't a major step to riding a 50cc or 100cc moped.

In my opinion, if all car drivers were forced to do the compulsory basic training test for bikes, the world would be a much happier and safer place :)

Zen

Hi

My eldest wanted a moped when he was 16 and I was horrified - he is AS, very ADD, OD, a compulsive risk taker and at that time was experimenting with cannabis!! My DH over ruled me because he had bikes at that age and I have to say that he has not had any problems with it. I think he has been pulled over a couple of times for carrying passengers and he has fallen off but not seriously. When he turned 17 he asked for driving lessons so I gave him 'vouchers' for birthday and Xmas and he hasn't bothered as yet - quite happy zipping about on moped.

I do think the CBT exam was great and I was pleased that on the day he took it, it was pouring with rain so he learned very quickly how to deal with bad weather conditions. And when he does decide to learn to drive he has already got so many road skills.

Stella xx

my oldest is 16 and NT and has not mentioned a moped, but there is NO WAY she would have one, not cos I don't trust her, but I don't trust about 95% of other road users out there.

It would depend on the individual.

My daughter, 23 who has asperger's, says she knows she will never be able to drive. One of her problems is awareness of other people and their intentions "or other people stuff" as she puts it. Addtionally, she is aware that her judgement is impaired when making decisions for crossing the road. She takes longer than most people to cross the road. She also has never been able to ride a bike.

If your son is at all like my daughter, I would dissuade him.

my oldest is 16 and NT and has not mentioned a moped, but there is NO WAY she would have one, not cos I don't trust her, but I don't trust about 95% of other road users out there.

My mother said that too - yet on my 16th birthday I went out & bought myself a moped (with my own money saved for years from my paper-round then weekend job), and rode it every day. if she had REALLY pushed it, the best she would've got was I would've left home AND ridden my moped. 16 year olds are not the most reasonable people :whistle: yet they are legally able to both buy & ride a moped. parents can discuss the dangers and express their opinions, but at the end of the day, saying "no way" is not going to get you anywhere :rolleyes: