Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

And you think hearing parents get it bad.

Recently my son's school sent me two notifications to attend the school, one was parents day to talk to the teacher about progress, the other an invite to discuss aspects of my son's autism with a visiting consultant. My partner is deaf sadly, so I asked support services if they would provide sign language support for her and they said no on both counts, claiming their statutory obligations to support parents with special needs, only applies IF the local authority is required in attendance. In effect it prevents his Mum going to the school. The school itself is out of our area so not obliged to help either, does anyone know if LA support can be applied arbitrary this way ? I cannot understand the reasoning of it, as they DID provide support last year. So it is plain and simple cost-cutting ?

I don't know the answer to this one.

Have you tried contacting your local hearing impaired school. They may have information about this. And even if you are not entitled (which sounds crazy if true), they might be in a better position to give you advice on how to proceed.

At my son's previous school there was also a deaf parent, and she was always provided an interpretor every time she went into school. However, my son moved nearly two years ago. Things might be different now.

The only other place I can think of is via your local council Disability Discrimination person. I know DDA talks about adjustments in the workplace, but I don't know what is covered out of working hours. They might have some information as well.

I would think because its a PARENTS day they should provide a Sign language interpriter, otherwise she isnt accessing the same as other parents, I know of a Mum, Dad, and their two Children are ALL Hearing Impaired so they would have to provide this, if the child went to a mainstream school they would get support surely this is the same situation.

I would defo get more advise, CAB may know more or the

http://www.rnid.org.uk/howwehelp/our_servi...ice/contact_us/

I am sure they can not exclude disabilities.

JsMumxx

I would think that it is up to the school to provide it (you are parents of a child at their school, even if it is out-of-area). You could ask to see their Disability Equality Scheme and Accessibilty plan - which are supposed to take into account any needs of the parents/staff/governors as well as of the children.

The school MUST make reasonable adjustments under the DDA for all who access the school, including parents. I suggest you ask for the school's complaints policy and follow it. This really is unacceptable.

The school MUST make reasonable adjustments under the DDA for all who access the school, including parents. I suggest you ask for the school's complaints policy and follow it. This really is unacceptable.

I agree.

I find this sort of petty bureaucracy incredibly annoying. I really think that you should make a stink over this. Just because they don't have an official policy covering this doesn't mean that it is right not to make an interpreture available. The whole point of having policies and proceedures is that they can be ammenended, changed or created to suit such a situation

We are talking about the welfare of your child. How can an.y decisions be made if his mother cannot attend? They are legally obliged to make a reasonable adjustment, but above and beyond that, if they have a duty of care to your child, and any discussions must surely involve in his parents?

I would call them and explain that unless they are willing to make a reasonable adjustment you will be unwilling to attend and you will be contacting not only your local authority, but also your MP. Most local Authorites have a proceedure for these kinds of complaints. In short, kick bottom.

Zen

just wondering, so please dont be cross. Will you be at the meeting so you could interpret for your childs mother. I no it will take longer but it might save time in finding an interpreter.

i really hope you can help with this, its unfair on your childs mum not to be fully included on what is going on with the welfare of your child, and after all she knows his needs and may have things she wants to say.

good luck

just wondering, so please dont be cross. Will you be at the meeting so you could interpret for your childs mother. I no it will take longer but it might save time in finding an interpreter.

i really hope you can help with this, its unfair on your childs mum not to be fully included on what is going on with the welfare of your child, and after all she knows his needs and may have things she wants to say.

good luck

The problem is that if you provide your own cover, they expect it all the time and you then cannot ask for support because they will just say let a relative or whatever do it, then this undermines the access law entirely, it is basically about saving cash and NOT complying with their legal obligations via putting the onus back on you via 'choice',it's very subtle an approach but illegal. De3af people have and still use relatives or whatever despite the fact the legal onus is there for the LEA to provide that. It is not being pedantic it is establishing the legal right, and, what if your usual relative cannot make it ? or, is working ? who covers their losses ? Some deaf people's hearing families have lost wages having to turn up to help their parents. Deaf policy now is NOT to assist the state to avoid its legal obligations under the DDA. We've done it a 100 years ! some are STILL doing it. Another approach they use is to 'put the child first' a very worthy argument no-one disputes, but how they 'interpret' that is to say to a disabled parent "We have a statutory duty to support your child, but, NOT YOU." At many levels this is LA speak for WE pay for support ? no way ! Deaf parents heavily complain, because it goes on record as "Parent consistently fails to attend the school, takes no interest in the child's progress..." That is cruel and most unfair. Even prefer to talk to someone with hearing instead by-passing the inclusion of the parent. MY AM sorted it last time OK, but even he realises we still have to fight this every time a request comes to attend the school, regardless of the law.

The problem is that if you provide your own cover, they expect it all the time and you then cannot ask for support because they will just say let a relative or whatever do it, then this undermines the access law entirely, it is basically about saving cash and NOT complying with their legal obligations via putting the onus back on you via 'choice',it's very subtle an approach but illegal. De3af people have and still use relatives or whatever despite the fact the legal onus is there for the LEA to provide that. It is not being pedantic it is establishing the legal right, and, what if your usual relative cannot make it ? or, is working ? who covers their losses ? Some deaf people's hearing families have lost wages having to turn up to help their parents. Deaf policy now is NOT to assist the state to avoid its legal obligations under the DDA. We've done it a 100 years ! some are STILL doing it. Another approach they use is to 'put the child first' a very worthy argument no-one disputes, but how they 'interpret' that is to say to a disabled parent "We have a statutory duty to support your child, but, NOT YOU." At many levels this is LA speak for WE pay for support ? no way ! Deaf parents heavily complain, because it goes on record as "Parent consistently fails to attend the school, takes no interest in the child's progress..." That is cruel and most unfair. Even prefer to talk to someone with hearing instead by-passing the inclusion of the parent. MY AM sorted it last time OK, but even he realises we still have to fight this every time a request comes to attend the school, regardless of the law.

your quite right, im sorry. i hope you find help ASAP. Its a sad fact that everything is a fight.

Is there a parents advice centre or parent partnership provision in your area. Where we live there are many people who don't have English as a first language -mainly Bengali but lots of others as well; the PAC provide a translator service. Your wife in effect speaks a different language so don't know if that's another avenue you could investigate? I would also agree that the DDA may get a result for you.

I hope you manage to get support for your wife. :thumbs:

AV

Well the reason you can't interpret at a formal meeting is because you need to be there as a parent and be able to contribute without having the added responsibility of interpreter.

Is there a parents advice centre or parent partnership provision in your area. Where we live there are many people who don't have English as a first language -mainly Bengali but lots of others as well; the PAC provide a translator service. Your wife in effect speaks a different language so don't know if that's another avenue you could investigate? I would also agree that the DDA may get a result for you.

I hope you manage to get support for your wife. :thumbs:

AV

To be honest I don't feel I NEED advice, I just want the LEA to meet their legal obligations without me me having to create mayhem every time I ask for it to get it. There are so many other ways they can throw barriers in your path, they will 'vet' your request to attend and demand you justify it. If e.g. you wanted to talk to your child's teacher direct, they would say 'What For ?' is the conversation necessary, is it part of a legal requirement you have to consult them ? are we obliged to attend as well, because if we aren't no deal ! I Just say look I don't need to attend the school or talk to his teacher every day of the week or every week even, but there are times I would appreciate advice etc on things and progress reports more than once a year, I take an INTEREST in how my son is proceeding.. There is an BSL parents group, but even they are being inundated by deaf parents who are simply being excluded from their child's school despite a law, always the goalposts change who is legally obliged etc. My LEA or the LEA where the school is, the school itself, a deaf social worker or something ? who abandoned signed support 12 years ago at the launch of the DDA ! Every time we find a new fence to jump over. It is cash basically. Parents have enough to do without demanding a right to attend their child's school. How many HEARING parents are denied access ? not a lot I'll wager...