Sign in to follow this  
hedders

How do Parents Monitor their child's progress

Following a recent meeting with the educational psychologist maybe i should be look at things from a different presptive.

Despite my dd attainment levels from the last two SATS tests remained the same of 1c for writing 1a for reading, 1a for numeracy and also science, the Ed Psy has pointed out that ongoing teacher assessments show dd is infact on levels 2b for reading , numeracy and science and 1b for writing

Some children preform better in class than on exam tests which doesn't give a true reflextion of their progress.

Its hard to look into the IEP reviews as they just say " TO CONTINUE" ON HER INTERVENTION PROGRAMMES.

Basically the Ed Psy Findings are she has immuratities and lacks organizational skills which affects her learning.

DD needs structure in the classroom and will give recommendations to the school for dd to start intervention programmes

Seal (Emotional and self regulation skills)

Rapid Writing

Social Speaking

poor pencil grip

School have just removed dd from Social Speaking PROGRAMME so the Ed Psy SAID she will put her back on it and school

To continue also with rapid reading programme, narrative therapy programmes already in place.

Ed Psy said in nice terms just continue doing a great job being the parent and let school deal with there side. (ha ha )

I showed her the peice of paper saying she has MLD ed Psy SAID no she hasn't and the senco should never of put this, in future deal with the class teacher if you have concerns or phone me.

Ed Psy SAID HER MAIN CONCERN was dd writing skills and feels its down to organization/ processing.

So which do i go by teacher assessments or sats ??

I looked at her books and do notice progress but this is often when she recieves additional support and when left unaided i can't see any progress.

Hi

This is a tough question because I suppose it would vary from child to child and year group.I do agree though that some children do really well at exams and not so good in class/course work and this works vise versa as well.I am the same,I dont do that well on essays/coursework but when it comes to exams I really excel and surprise myself.

My eldest son does very well at school,his year 2 SATS were all level three except for science I think it was 2b and he was so dissapointed as he really loves science.

Sam is in yr 2 now and I dread his SATS I dont know what to expect.

Sorry not much help but know your frustration >:D<<'>

Firstly I would send a clarification letter to the EP saying "thank you for meeting with my in school on xxxx and for discussing my daughters academic attainment levels. My understanding is that you confirmed to me that my daughter does not have MLD, and that her academic achievement is different when assessed in the classroom as opposed to SATS. You also said that she has problems with organisational skills, processing and needs a high level of structure in the classroom (and anything else she mentioned), and that you are recommending programmes of xxxxxx (list the SALT to be reintroduced, and the writing programme etc - everything she said). And ask her WHEN this will be in place in school.

And I would just send that letter off to her and see what response you get.

In the meantime I would phone IPSEA and get their advice. This is really a chicken and egg syndrome. Is your child making adequate progress? Could she make more progress with specific supports or approaches or professional input? Is there a more suitable school that can meet her needs?

Also the IEPs are not SMART. IEPs should be time limited ie. by the next IEP (usually termly) your daughter should have met the target. If she hasn't then they need to look at why. Sometimes they may make the target easier. BUT you need to keep a close monitor on this because the EP has definately said she is not MLD. So WHY is she doing so poorly?? It sounds like a specific learning difficulty. I think you yourself suspect she is on the spectrum. She has Speech and language programmes, needs structure, organisation skills not good etc - it is starting to add up. Her difficulties maybe due to learning difficulties associated with an ASD, or maybe in addition to an ASD, or just a specific learning difficulty on their own.

But at this stage just send in the clarification letter to see if she responds to that. And get advice from IPSEA on how to proceed. And ask them specifically what you should do at the next IEP meeting when they try to again make it ONGOING.

I would also add that difference academic performance in the classroom to SATS shows problems with generalisation which is another ASD trait.

I would also add that difference academic performance in the classroom to SATS shows problems with generalisation which is another ASD trait.

:lol: :lol: If that were 'proof' of ASD, pretty much 95% of the school population would be diagnosed as on the spectrum!

I don't know if this helps or not but my daughter is in Y4 and the teacher assessments put her on level 4 in all subjects but the class teacher has clearly told me that she will not achieve this level under test conditions because she gets so stressed out about having time pressures put upon her and because she writes incredibly slowly in a class setting when she gets very stressed by self-imposed pressure to write perfectly. The teacher put this into the evidence she sent off to the paediatrician when we recently went to see him and got our diagnosis of AS.

Prior to this she was getting someone to sit and talk her calmly through things such as times table tests and mental maths problems to try to keep her levels of anxiety down and has been having extra handwriting programmes and relaxation groups. School have now decided that she should be allowed to use a laptop in some of her classes when long pieces of written work are required so that she is better able to show what she is capable of when the handwriting barrier has been taken away. The teacher said when it comes time to go up to Secondary school she hopes the Y6 SATs will have been done away with but if they are not, she will make sure the new school receive full teacher assessments anyway so that they know what her true academic ability is.

Primary school hope that with the diagnosis to back up their evidence, my daughter will be able to use a laptop more in the future as she goes up through school. Whether she would also be allowed extra calming down time in an exam setting too I don't know - I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Maybe your school might consider these types of support structures on a trial basis. At least then you could see if the pieces of work your child produces with support are at a higher level than those without which would give you some evidence to base a case for increased support.

By the way, I'm very new to all this. School only started to accept my daughter had real issues when she started Y4 (despite lots of conversations) and we only got the diagnosis 3 weeks ago so I don't know how it is in other schools or what other support structures might be available.

Just a point on MLD.

I had this discussion on this site a week of two ago.

The term MLD (Mild/Moderate Learning Difficulties) seems to mean different things to different people. I have been told that there is soon to be a new definitions of exactly what the term means.

Not to be confused with MLD (Mild/Moderate Learning Disabilities) which is defined in terms of IQ.

Just to confuse us even more the Americans use the term Mild Learning Disabilities much more freely and include things such a dyslexia.