Tally

Swimming

I want to go swimming, but I haven't been for years and never by myself. I know where my local pool is, and I know their opening hours. What I don't know is what to do when I get there.

I will take lots of change so I have the right coin for the locker. Once I know which one I need I will know for next time.

I was going to wear my costume under my clothes to save time changing, and then put my clothes back on even though I will be damp and then shower at home. Maybe I will get big and brave and use the pool showers the second time, but for my first attempt I don't want a fear of the pool showers to be a barrier to me going at all.

Is it OK to swim wearing glasses? I couldn't see at all without them.

I want to go swimming, but I haven't been for years and never by myself. I know where my local pool is, and I know their opening hours. What I don't know is what to do when I get there.

I will take lots of change so I have the right coin for the locker. Once I know which one I need I will know for next time.

I was going to wear my costume under my clothes to save time changing, and then put my clothes back on even though I will be damp and then shower at home. Maybe I will get big and brave and use the pool showers the second time, but for my first attempt I don't want a fear of the pool showers to be a barrier to me going at all.

Is it OK to swim wearing glasses? I couldn't see at all without them.

As far as I know you cannot wear glasses,but you can ask at the pool you will go to.I know a friend who got special goggles that are prescription,basketball players use something similar to,prehaps you can also ask the optometrist.

sounds fabby, could you ring the pool and ask about the locker coins or get someone to ring for you?

Take a towel to dry off as much as possible too as getting clothes on whilst damp is miserable for anyone

Yes you can wear glasses if you choose to

HAVE FUN!

I've worn my glasses at lots of different pools when swimming and have never been told not to so I would expect you to be OK. I hope you are able to go and that you have fun :).

I always wear my glasses when I swim, I couldn't see otherwise and I can't wear my contact lenses in the pool. I have a sports strap that attaches to the arms of the glasses and goes around the back of my head to make sure they don't slip off in the water. Prescription goggles are very expensive and not necessary at all. The lockers at our pool take £1 coins but when you pay at reception you can ask about the lockers and they'll give you change for it if you need it. Some pools have multi-sex changing rooms, others have separate mens' and womens' changing rooms but they'll all have cubicles where you can change in private. I usually just quickly dry myself and change and then come straight home and have a shower at home, don't forget to take your undies with you if you're going to go already in your cossie though! :)

~ Mel ~

I've actually had another look at the pool's website and it says the lockers take £1 coins. Last time I went swimming you needed a 20p. That's how long ago it was!

Thanks for all your help. I might give it a try this week.

I've actually had another look at the pool's website and it says the lockers take £1 coins. Last time I went swimming you needed a 20p. That's how long ago it was!

Thanks for all your help. I might give it a try this week.

If it's £1, it is probably returnable (you get it back when you open the locker). The two pools near me (which are both closed for refurbishment :shame:) - one takes 20p for its lockers but you don't get it back - really annoying when you've locked your locker and realised your goggles are still in your bag :rolleyes: - the other one takes £1 coins but you get it back when you open the door so you can re-shut and lock it if you forget something.

On the subject of swimming, does anyone know what a freshwater swimming-pool is? :unsure: I've been trying to find a pool near me and came up with a freshwater pool - I have visions of going to look and finding out it's a lake!!! :lol:

I think fresh water are sea salt pools.The one my son goes to is one of them,no chlorine.Personally I think those are unheigeinic but they seem to be popular.

Take two towels. One will always fall in a puddle and it's harder to get dried with a damp towel.

And you can wear your specs - I always do.

Have fun!

Karen

x

our pool has cubicles that are half-shower half changing room so you can shower in privacy and get changed without going anywhere! i didn't realise this until K started swimming lessons, last time i went swimming it was all group change (very scary)

Hi Tally

I too can see nothing at all without my glasses! I have worn glasses when swimming, but I did find that after several sessions the antireflective coating on my glasses started coming off and left a 'scratched' effect with rough stripes of coated and uncoated lens :wacko: not ideal if they are the glasses you wear all the time.

I found even with goggles on the chlorine irritated my eyes with my contact lenses in. Prescription goggles may be brilliant but could be quite expensive and not really good unless your prescription stays fairly stable.

It can be convenient, everything being blurred cos you have the perfect excuse to ignore people!! :whistle:

It can be convenient, everything being blurred cos you have the perfect excuse to ignore people!! :whistle:

Or to 'accidentally' swim into yummy men! :wub::whistle:

I'm annoyed because now I feel big and brave enough to try it, I have a really busy week. I am not going on a Saturday for my first attempt, so I think it's going to have to be next week now.

I can't get on with contact lenses, so I'm pleased to know I can wear my glasses. I have seen those things for holding on your glasses. I have seen them used for sports. Maybe not being able to go this week will give me chance to buy one at the weekend.

I am pleased to see that my swimming costume still fits, although there is a strange bulge at the belly that never used to be there! Maybe the swimming will resolve that though.

I'd just like to say that, thanks to the advice and encouragement I received, I have enjoyed a swim this morning :)

When I got there, there was one other woman in the pool. She left shortly after I arrived and I was the only person in the pool for a while before another person arrived. By the time I left, there were still only about ten people in the pool. So it looks like Tuesday mornings will be a good kind of time to go.

There were no attractive men, unfortunately!

I'd just like to say that, thanks to the advice and encouragement I received, I have enjoyed a swim this morning :)

When I got there, there was one other woman in the pool. She left shortly after I arrived and I was the only person in the pool for a while before another person arrived. By the time I left, there were still only about ten people in the pool. So it looks like Tuesday mornings will be a good kind of time to go.

Sounds great Tally :thumbs:

Sorry you didnt find any attractive men :( You need to do this :pray: for next time ;)

Attractive men are usually in greater abundance during the pre-work shift, so if your pool's open for early morning swims... Not that I ever went swimming to stalk attractive menfolk, of course... :wub::whistle: