Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Is this possible?

Sam is undergoing statutory assesment,we hope the outcome will be a statement and that he can go to a special school.My main problem now is that in our county there are no adequate schools,most are for severly disabled children,I dont think its the right environment.

There is one school in particular I really like,it is not in this county but boarders on this county and happens to be where I will go to Uni.The HT was suggesting when I request the school I give my ex's address as he lives in that county(so does my brother)So is this possible?

I have to travel there everyday so I may leave himm at his dads in the morning and hope he can get a taxi/transport from there,as the HT said the transport may be the deal breaker.Anyone got this experience.Thanks.

tricky one, I can see why it was suggested, however round here we had a lot of this happening for primary and secondary schools better in one area than another and people were using rellys addys falsey

We now have to prove our addy and we as the resident parent have to be on the proof too

Not 100% certain but I think it is some sort of offence and can you imagine how awful it would be if it was discovered that you used a different address and they denied a place :(

I can't see that it will work, as the LA must have your address on all the paperwork already. You don't give your address when you express your preferrence for a school - they already have your address - if you didn't live in that county, that LA woudl not be doing the statementing. I know they look very poorly on people who use other people's addresses to get into preferred mainstream schools, so I can't see how they will not comment.

If you use your ex h's address, the LA is more likely to say that you should apply for a Statement from that county instead. I am not sure if your county would pay for transport from a home in another county, but if they did someone wodul need to be there to hand him over and receive him - especially because the taxi may be late/not turn up.

I totally understand you wanting him in a special school, but if you do this and you get found out he would lose his place i'm sure of it. You will also probably find that getting a statement doesn't mean you definately get a special school,i have been home schooling my 14 year old since september cos he couldnt cope in mainstream , he now has a statement but they have named another mainstream, twice as big and 7 tiems as far away as his previous one!! By the time my appeal comes through and he gets in a school, his statement will be due for review !! dont' give the LEA any ammunition to use against you. x

Firstly this was not my idea,it was the HT.I was thinking of moving to that county as my family are there,I lived in that county for nearly seven years.The problem I have is what Kazzen said if my county agree to that school and even provide transport I will not be here to put him on the transport because I need to leave 7am everyday!In fact even if he was put at a school here it would be the same problem.So my argument is,not about lying about where we live but giving my ex's address as where they can pick him everyday as he only leaves for work at 8.45am.My ex wont be able to take him to the school as its out of his way to work.

Just to say the LA no nothing of this I am just trying to figure out how he will get to school.We have no local schools at all suitable,he is at the best mainstream already.So the nearest county school is 30min drive,my neighbours daughter goes there,but its not suitable for AS kids.The taxi fetches her at 8.15 I wont be home at that time.Its so difficult!!!

What Kazzen said.

Getting a school named on a statement is not the same as applying for a school through the normal admissions process.

The LA the child lives in is the statementing authority - they would probably not allow you to change his address as he lives with you for the majority of the week. if you now try to change his address the entire statementing process witll transfer to the new authority, with all the risks that involves, so better not to rock the boat there unless/until you actually do decide to move.

Assuming you get the school - and that's not certain whichever county you're in - you may be able to come to some kind of transport deal. But you'll have to show that it's the nearest suitable school or you may be landed with the bill anyway.

K x

You could send him to a childminder and the taxi could pick him up from there. I presume you would have to use a childminder if he just went to the local mainstream, as you would not be there to drop him off.

The LA might agree to collect him from your ex's house (as it would save them money on transport), but there might be other considerations (eg: lengthening the journey time of others in the taxi).

Where would he be dropped off? Sometimes the LA says it has to be the same place that he was collected from.

The LA will only be looking at sending him to the nearest suitable school (in their own county), they will not take into account how you will manage to get him in/off the taxi (I know, I had this issue for 9 years eg: I was supposed to collect my children from their school but also be at home at that time to recieve T).

You could send him to a childminder and the taxi could pick him up from there. I presume you would have to use a childminder if he just went to the local mainstream, as you would not be there to drop him off.

The LA might agree to collect him from your ex's house (as it would save them money on transport), but there might be other considerations (eg: lengthening the journey time of others in the taxi).

Where would he be dropped off? Sometimes the LA says it has to be the same place that he was collected from.

The LA will only be looking at sending him to the nearest suitable school (in their own county), they will not take into account how you will manage to get him in/off the taxi (I know, I had this issue for 9 years eg: I was supposed to collect my children from their school but also be at home at that time to recieve T).

Thank you Kathryn and Kazzen,very interesting >:D<<'>

If he was going to mainstream I was going to change to a school near my ex as Dan will be going there.I also have to take Eli to nursery there.So I would be dropping both Eli and Sam at their dad in the mornings.My eldest is going to be going to a great middle school so he goes to his friends house and they walk together, this is why I am reluctant to move its taken my eldest three years to make friends and get settled.

I would be able to collect him as I finish at 3pm,so no need for a taxi.On the days I finish late my father will fetch him and take him to his place(likely to be one day a week)

The school I want him to go to is actually just 1mile difference to where the nearest county school is,and as I say more suitable. I do hope it works out,I have spent three months looking into various schools.I just hope the statement does go through,panicking!!!!

I would just point out that only a small number of children with a statement of special educational need go to a special school, the majority attend mainstream schools.

As much as we may disagree, AL have a duty to spend their (our) money in the most efficient way and have to balance this against their educational duties. They have to balance the needs of the many against the needs of the few. As money is likely to be getting even tighter, there is likely to be more and more conflict between what parents want for their children and what the LA can/will agree to.

We all want what we think is best for our children, but don be surprised if at times others dont always agree with your views.

I would just point out that only a small number of children with a statement of special educational need go to a special school, the majority attend mainstream schools.

As much as we may disagree, AL have a duty to spend their (our) money in the most efficient way and have to balance this against their educational duties. They have to balance the needs of the many against the needs of the few. As money is likely to be getting even tighter, there is likely to be more and more conflict between what parents want for their children and what the LA can/will agree to.

We all want what we think is best for our children, but don be surprised if at times others dont always agree with your views.

I realise this.However I am not going to accept that.He is six and has already been to three mainstream,one which had just 7 kids in the class seemed ideal for him but still couldnt help him.The school he is at now has tried for nearly two years to get all the help they can,he has a TA,he has a behaviour support worker twice a week and has had autism support teachers for three weeks(going on week 4)

He has been excluded three times,can hardly write and gets numbers muddled.I know,his teacher knows,his ed psych knows,his HT knows,his paed knows,his TA knows and others that mainstream is not for him.The HT has done three statements in the past and he is the only one who she believes doesnt belong there,she is pushing 100% for a special school.I know the may still reject it but I do hope not he has missed nearly a year of school.I think he will never want to go to school if things were to continue this way,even with additional support in mainstream.

I realise this.However I am not going to accept that.He is six and has already been to three mainstream,one which had just 7 kids in the class seemed ideal for him but still couldnt help him.The school he is at now has tried for nearly two years to get all the help they can,he has a TA,he has a behaviour support worker twice a week and has had autism support teachers for three weeks(going on week 4)

He has been excluded three times,can hardly write and gets numbers muddled.I know,his teacher knows,his ed psych knows,his HT knows,his paed knows,his TA knows and others that mainstream is not for him.The HT has done three statements in the past and he is the only one who she believes doesnt belong there,she is pushing 100% for a special school.I know the may still reject it but I do hope not he has missed nearly a year of school.I think he will never want to go to school if things were to continue this way,even with additional support in mainstream.

From your opening post, I have no way of knowing any of this and was commenting on its content only.

My comments were not directed at your situating in particular, just pointing out to anyone reading this who my have got the impression that a statemented child automatically goes to a special school and LAs reasoning behind why this is not so.

Edited by chris54

I think the problem is, as someone has said, if you are saying he lives at your ex's address then they will say to apply to that local authority for a statement.

I do think it would be worth pointing out to them that if he did have a place you wouldn't be seeking transport. I'm not sure you could ask for transport from your ex's house to the school as they would have contracts with local firms and if they use a local firm then it would still have the same cost implications.

If it's the right school for him and you can demonstrate that there are no closer schools that can meet his needs (which it sounds like you can) then the cost of transport is irrelevant. They couldn't (I don't think) refuse to place him there on the grounds that the transport costs were too high if it were the nearest school that could meet his needs.

HTH

Carol

I think the problem is, as someone has said, if you are saying he lives at your ex's address then they will say to apply to that local authority for a statement.

I do think it would be worth pointing out to them that if he did have a place you wouldn't be seeking transport. I'm not sure you could ask for transport from your ex's house to the school as they would have contracts with local firms and if they use a local firm then it would still have the same cost implications.

If it's the right school for him and you can demonstrate that there are no closer schools that can meet his needs (which it sounds like you can) then the cost of transport is irrelevant. They couldn't (I don't think) refuse to place him there on the grounds that the transport costs were too high if it were the nearest school that could meet his needs.

HTH

Carol

Thanks Carol >:D<<'> I am definatley not going to mention anything to the LEA until the statement is issued.Then I think we can discuss everything else.I just feel the HT wants to see the back of us,she is nice and helpful but seems desparate at times,I suppose this works in my favour as she is pushing for the statement.

If they agree to the school I think I wont ask for transport but can he go on the bus for free?(with me of course)

Hi again , i think the more support the school gives for a special school the more likely you are to get a place there, but i believe (unless it has changed recently), that any school they might name, is related to where you actually live and not to where the child might be looked after or childminded, so even if dad has them every morning that may just be considered a child minding type of arrangement , and as someone has put previously if you gave that as the childs address , it may start off a whole new ball game of new leas and assesments. I wish you loads of luck with this, i myself have been fighting the lEA for over 9 years, finally got a statement last year, will not accept minstream as he has treid for years and it made him ill,and they will not give special school , so my only alternative is to home school my 14 year old son,and continue to appeal for a special place, it's a long hard fight, good luck x

Hi again , i think the more support the school gives for a special school the more likely you are to get a place there, but i believe (unless it has changed recently), that any school they might name, is related to where you actually live and not to where the child might be looked after or childminded, so even if dad has them every morning that may just be considered a child minding type of arrangement , and as someone has put previously if you gave that as the childs address , it may start off a whole new ball game of new leas and assesments. I wish you loads of luck with this, i myself have been fighting the lEA for over 9 years, finally got a statement last year, will not accept minstream as he has treid for years and it made him ill,and they will not give special school , so my only alternative is to home school my 14 year old son,and continue to appeal for a special place, it's a long hard fight, good luck x

As far as I am aware I will still get a choice of the school he attends :unsure: I am not mentioning anything to them about my son going to his dads in the mornings, but I will if they insist.At the end of the day I have to go to Uni in September so I will be at the LA everday over summer until they arrange appropriate schooling for my son.

Sorry you have had such a battle >:D<<'> So far so good on my end,all I can do is :pray:

You do not get a "choice" - you get to express a preference that the LA must go with as long as that school can meet your child's needs, is an efficient use of resources and does not harm the education of other children.

There is no guarantee that, if he did go to a mainstream school, the school closest your ex would take him (especially if it is also a different county), as he would have a statement they would have to fulfil (pay for).

I can't remember if you said there were places in the school you prefer (obviously the other county's children get priority), and whether they said it would be suitable for him. I am presuming it is not an independent school.

Do not tell the LA you will not ask for transport, unless it comes to be a deal breaker. He will be at the school for several years, and you might need transport later on. If the LA agree to name the school, then they should offer transport (but whether that could be from your ex's I don't know).

You do not get a "choice" - you get to express a preference that the LA must go with as long as that school can meet your child's needs, is an efficient use of resources and does not harm the education of other children.

There is no guarantee that, if he did go to a mainstream school, the school closest your ex would take him (especially if it is also a different county), as he would have a statement they would have to fulfil (pay for).

I can't remember if you said there were places in the school you prefer (obviously the other county's children get priority), and whether they said it would be suitable for him. I am presuming it is not an independent school.

Do not tell the LA you will not ask for transport, unless it comes to be a deal breaker. He will be at the school for several years, and you might need transport later on. If the LA agree to name the school, then they should offer transport (but whether that could be from your ex's I don't know).

Thanks Kazzen >:D<<'> My priority is of course for them to agree to issue a statement then I would still wish to see the schools they may think are suitable then I can have a better idea.I guess the whole reason for the post was because of the HT saying what she thinks but she has no experience of this,the three other children who she has helped get statements for all remained at mainstream,my son will be the first.There is a great school in this county but unfortunatley it only takes kids from year4 and he is going to year 3,which is a shame.It goes right through until age 19.

I am worried that if he goes to a school in this county and we move he will have to change schools and this is what I am desparately trying to avoid.

Hi. My son goes to a special school in the neighbouring county. We originally wanted him to go to our local mainstream school but, to cut a very long (and not very pleasant) story short, we opted for a special school. The local special school was, in our opinion, unsuitable. It was to become a generic special school when he started. Also the HT said she hoped that by the end of their time there the pupils could "get themselves changed for PE and learn to swim." As my son was already mostly self caring and quite badly Dyspraxic (ie no coordination, terrified of water, will never learn to swim) we decided we wanted better for him. The LEA did not agree the school we wanted was any different.

After a long fight we got him a place in the school we wanted but as it is not the"nearest suitable school" as far as the LEA is concerned I have to provide transport. Our county LEA pay his statement money to the school LEA but anything else is up to us. No one has been to any of his review meetings, although they receive reports etc.

The school is really good for him and I would not change our decision but it has been very hard at times. So, basically, in my experience if you want to cross borders you have to provide the transport. Good luck with your decision. I know its reall hard.

Hi. My son goes to a special school in the neighbouring county. We originally wanted him to go to our local mainstream school but, to cut a very long (and not very pleasant) story short, we opted for a special school. The local special school was, in our opinion, unsuitable. It was to become a generic special school when he started. Also the HT said she hoped that by the end of their time there the pupils could "get themselves changed for PE and learn to swim." As my son was already mostly self caring and quite badly Dyspraxic (ie no coordination, terrified of water, will never learn to swim) we decided we wanted better for him. The LEA did not agree the school we wanted was any different.

After a long fight we got him a place in the school we wanted but as it is not the"nearest suitable school" as far as the LEA is concerned I have to provide transport. Our county LEA pay his statement money to the school LEA but anything else is up to us. No one has been to any of his review meetings, although they receive reports etc.

The school is really good for him and I would not change our decision but it has been very hard at times. So, basically, in my experience if you want to cross borders you have to provide the transport. Good luck with your decision. I know its reall hard.

Thank you for that MarieM >:D<<'> I think if they agreed to send him to the school,especially if there is no battle then I definatley wont complain about transport.He gets DLA so even if I have to use a portion of that for transport I dont mind,the school is a priority and believe he will truelly be happy there.Thanks for your experience.