Sign in to follow this  
mum232010

home schooling with a teacher brought in??

hi all.

after chatting with my CHAMS supporter on friday for my son, he advised it would be good for dylan to be taught at home until the assessment and statement is complete, then we can look at alternative schools to suit him/special schools. ( as he is excluded at the mo, and prob not abkle to return)

dylan is almost 6, and home scvhooling would suit me and him just fine, BUT i also have a 3 year old, and i am wondering how someone will be able to come in and teach him, when she is there, i cant be expected to keep her quiet, or put her in her bedroom? and she only goes to nursery 2 days a week.

i cznt even think of another room for them to teach him in as we only have a 1 table in the dining room, and this is connected to the living room?

sounds a bit of a silly thing to be up at night worrying about, but what do i do in this situation? as i cant get anyone to look after her either, and i dont fancy going out for the day and leaving dylan here with the teacher.

does anyone have any experience in this matter? and how long would the teaching be for, do they do full days? half days? or with dyl been special needs, and wont concentrate will they just stay for a while? i havent asked the chams worker yet as he told me to call him in a month for more of a chat regarding this.

thankyou xxx

Check VERY carefully before agreeing to this as home schooling usually means the parents do the teaching.

I have heard of cases where children are approaching GCSE exams who get 5 hours a week from a tutor who comes to their home, but the rest is down to parents.

I really hope this is not what they expect you to do. For some families it does work really well, but definately not for everyone.

Also, if you agree to keep your child at home, you need a very clear WRITTEN agreement stating when and where he/she will return to school.

CAMHS seem to have great ideas, but they deal with "health" not "education" and what is ideal healthwise isn't always available from "education".

If your son is permanently excluded, then the LA are supposed to provide full-time equivalent education (at a PRU, in your home or another agreed building). In practice it is unusual to get more than a few hours a week.

You need to find out if your son is going to be permanently excluded, and then get in touch with the EOTAS (Education other than at school or similar) department at the LA.

If your son is permanently excluded, then the LA are supposed to provide full-time equivalent education (at a PRU, in your home or another agreed building). In practice it is unusual to get more than a few hours a week.

You need to find out if your son is going to be permanently excluded, and then get in touch with the EOTAS (Education other than at school or similar) department at the LA.

I agree with Kazzen.You need to find out if he will definatley be excluded,if he is you can still appeal against the decision and come up with a solution that works for everyone.If he isnt permanently excluded and you not happy you can try flexi schooling,let him finish at 12 pm,that way he still has the normal routine of going to school but doesnt have to be there the whole day.It has worked quite well for my son,not without problems,but definatley think if he had continued full time things would be far worse.

You could also opt to home school,it will be hard as you have other kids and this is the reason I have not done the same with my son.I have thought about it but I have a baby and I am studying,also being on my own I need some me time so need him to be at school.However if you have a strict plan it should be alright,if your partner comes home at a certain time you could always use an hour than to do more work while he watches your other kids,you can even use weekends.As long is its all written down.You dont need to do a straight 6 hours of work you can break it down and also at that age most learning is through play,which you can do with your younger child to.You can go to museums etc,especially now its warmer.

I would advise you speak to the school ASAP,I was told if Sam is permantley excluded I would get no help,so you need to make sure you know what he is entitled to and where you stand,get everything in writing.

This was offered to us by camhs, but not due to an exclusion , it was due to an emotional breakdown, like you it also occured during the assessment/statementing process.At the time I was lead to believe that home schooling would mean 2 hrs of work from a camhs teacher in our home and the rest to be done /provided by me.This was 7 yrs ago so things could have changed.